Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eating the protein First Reviewing Why we do it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=Massive G;77199]There was a recent thread on Mayhem in which someone questioned DANTE's advice to eat the protein first.
    I thought I'd share it here and added some more clarification on my part why we do this.
    Dante could probably write 2 books on this stuff so what I write most already know or maybe not.
    Every few years I have posted it and always get a few people that benefit from it.
    We DC'ers already eat proteins first but I thought I'd share why since I have eaten for function since day 1.

DC::Think for a second--If you fill your hunger with protein first what are you most likely not going to eat a huge amount of? It takes roughly 24.6-26 calories burned to digest every 100 calories of protein yet it only takes roughly 3.8 to 4.2 calories burned to digest every 100 calories of fats/carbs so are you figureing out yet why my trainees are always hot like a furnace and stay reasonably lean eating gross amounts of food?

If I can add something here to further back Dante's theories:
    Eating protein first in a meal increases the effeciency of digestion and a greater overall amount of protein as an end result in from a meal. In short a greater amount of aminos make it to the blood stream. Everytime I have written about this in the past few years people always are like "WOW I learned something new today".
    I call it eating for function.
    The function of the digestive system.
    I eat proteins first for 2 reasons-that digestive system is physiologically geared that way and it improves the effeciency of digestion and a greater overall availability of proteins/aminos from food for the body to use.
    Carbohydrates are digested 30% in the mouth with the salivary enzyme amylase and of course chewing.
    CARBS aren't digested in the stomach=they just sit there and slowly pass into the small intestines where the pancreatic enzymes do 70% more and complete the process.
    Fats are the same way if eaten first or mixed with carbs will sit there and clog up digestion.
    Proteins are primarily digested in the stomach. Therfore, eating proteins after these foods will result in a reduced amount of protein digestion-leaving some incompletely digested and unabsorbable and therefore lost.
    This in turn causes the undigested protein to be pulled into the small intestine reducing the protein effeciency of your meal and contributing to the mass of your colon.
    You want something worse? We are set up by traditional eating to fail.
    Go out to a steak house. First thing you get is your salad-THAT is the last thing you want to eat in a meal after the steak and then the potato.
    Cellulose is undigestable by the human body and will really clog up the process reducing the effeciency of digestion and your meal itself.

As mentioned previously proteins speed up the metabolic rate more than carbs and fat. Concerning basal metabolism proteins speed it up 30%, Carbs and fats 10%. The mere process of digestion and absorbtion of protein races the metabolism and will increase anabolism in an advanced athlete.

Now granted you can eat a huge meal like a Mcdonalds Combo meal mix it all up and it will get digested but it will interfere with feedings and the effeciency of the meal will be less and eventually leadto a lot of adipose tissue gain.

There are reasons we eat Protein and Fat together and protein and carbs. Insulin. Eating fat and carbs are a death warrant to bb'ers when consumed together and lays adipose tissue down as easily as Home Depot lays down cheap carpet.

I could write more especially on the types of proteins and their absorbtion-things like incomplete proteins etc.

Poor Rocky still thinks Peanuts are a good protein meal when their amino acid structure is very very poor.
    Maybe one day we can teach him that Rockys interpretation of DC training isn't DC training.

Anyhoo..just my 2 cents. We are all here to learn from each other but Dante's methods are backed by science and 3-4 years of online "University" studies with 100's reaping the benefits-so it is good advice and gospel for most ADVANCED lifters.

PEACE.
    This was a good post too in the thread:
    Protein will serve you a dual role in body modification in that it is as important for body fat reduction as it is for muscular gains. In regards to body fat reduction, protein has a specific dynamic action on the metabolism which means that when you ingest protein, your metabolic rate is elevated higher and remains elevated longer than when you ingest either fats or carbohydrates. A high carb meal will only elevate your metabolism from 4 to 30 percent above normal. This small elevation will last only 2 to 5 hours. A high protein meal however will elevate your metabolism by up to 70 percent above normal and this effect can last as long as 10 to 12 hours."

The entire thread is on mayhem and I thought I'd bring at least some good points out of it and add it here for others benefits.

Very good post. I learned a lot from that. I'll definetly stop mixing my eggs and hash browns together when I go to Waffle House.
    The only quistion I have is about the salad before the steak. Doesn't salad, since it is mostly green leafy vegetables, have a lot of digestive enzymes that should help you break down the steak and digest the protein better?
    Not saying your wrong..just curious

Comment

• Great Thread! A must read for those who have not read it yet!

Comment

• bump

Comment

• Bump.
          Good read that many will benefit from.

Comment

• Read this just after mixing two cans of tuna with a cup of brown rice. Dammit.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheJosh View Post
              Read this just after mixing two cans of tuna with a cup of brown rice. Dammit.
              And what is wrong with mixing two cans of tuna with brown rice?

That used to be one of my staple pro/carb meals

Comment

• Article says to eat the protein first. Think I may keep that gem, though...one of my fav meals, too.

Comment

• Does that extra 5 minutes really matter? Does your body even notice? Lets say you eat grilled chicken and brown rice, or you eat the chicken first. That's a difference of about 3-4 minutes of the ingestion of carbs. Possibly over thinking ? I'd just eat your meal how you want it but that's just me. I think it's safe to say that 3minutes will have zero effect on acquiring muscle and body composition
                  Last edited by MachMood; 05-03-2013, 03:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by MachMood View Post
                    Does that extra 5 minutes really matter? Does your body even notice? Lets say you eat grilled chicken and brown rice, or you eat the chicken first. That's a difference of about 3-4 minutes of the ingestion of carbs. Possibly over thinking ? I'd just eat your meal how you want it but that's just me. I think it's safe to say that 3minutes will have zero effect on acquiring muscle and body composition
                    Its not the time frame thats the point with the thread, its the order of things. Doesnt matter if. Youre only three minutes late to the store, if its closed its closed.

Think it brings out some good points about digestion etc, and i truly believe its the best way to consume a meal, still it would be interesting to see how much of a difference it makes.

I think its more to do with avoiding bodyfat then protein efficiency, but thats just a feeling i have. And hope for cause i truly enjoy a mixed meal and never had any problems controlling bodyfat..

Comment

• I personally dont see why you shouldnt have a mixed meal, a lot of guys recently have been doing crazy things like intermittent fasting and are getting shredded, which totally goes against everything this thread says for the most part. The twins on you tube and mark berkham the leangains guy are big on this style of dieting.

Comment

• How come all these health nutritionists then advocate the reverse?

E.g eating most watery substances first, followed by carbs, then proteins, then fats?

You only have to do quick google seach on digestion order
                        Loooking for excellent quality and service? Tired of buying brands that don't deliver? Visit www.truenutrition.com and save with discount code DSM253
                        BNBF Northern Championships 2011 - Lightweight - 4th
                        IFBB RIBBF National Championships 2011 - Middleweight U75kg - 3rd
                        IFBB RIBBF National Championships 2012 - Lightheavyweight U80kg - 5th Place
                        IFBB RIBBF Mr. Cork 2013 - Heavyweight U90kg - 3rd
                        IFBB EBFF European Championships - Classic Bodybuilding U180cm - 16th

Comment

• Originally posted by deanstm View Post
                          How come all these health nutritionists then advocate the reverse?

E.g eating most watery substances first, followed by carbs, then proteins, then fats?

I believe they suggest that because the general population overeats and by consuming vegetables first you are filling up on the substance with the least kcals, so by the time you get to the higher calorie foods, you do not want as much because your stomach is already full.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather get my fill of lean proteins than lettuce.
                          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

• Originally posted by deanstm View Post
                            How come all these health nutritionists then advocate the reverse?

Answer: They are making suggestions for the entire populace. Mental is right on. This is a bodybuilding site, and the DoggPound is for experienced lifters. I prefer to get my information from those who are experienced in the field of bodybuilding and not a quick google search.

Hang around this site and youll see differences of opinions on many matters, EX, "your body can only process 30g protein", or "a calorie is a calorie", etc.

Comment

• I have always ate my protein first then carbs/fats together... unless im eating cereal then there all at the same time...

Comment

• By no means am I a "newb" Dakota
                                Loooking for excellent quality and service? Tired of buying brands that don't deliver? Visit www.truenutrition.com and save with discount code DSM253
                                BNBF Northern Championships 2011 - Lightweight - 4th
                                IFBB RIBBF National Championships 2011 - Middleweight U75kg - 3rd
                                IFBB RIBBF National Championships 2012 - Lightheavyweight U80kg - 5th Place
                                IFBB RIBBF Mr. Cork 2013 - Heavyweight U90kg - 3rd
                                IFBB EBFF European Championships - Classic Bodybuilding U180cm - 16th

Comment

Working...
                                X