Question about rack deadlift form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about rack deadlift form

I just started doing rack deadlifts, and I think my form is incorrect. I either straighten my back too much and it feels like I'm doing a stiff leg deadlift to my lower back, or when I keep my back straight the bar keeps slamming against my knees. My question is, what is the proper way to do these so that the upper back, traps, and neck are worked as opposed to the lower back, and how do you accomplish this without the bar slamming/rubbing against your knees?

arch your back, get your ass down low to start.drag the bar up your shins...don't let it drift away from your body...bend your knees....keep your head up.....

and how do you accomplish this without the bar slamming/rubbing against your knees?

FH:It's SUPPOSED to rub against your knees...wear pants I guess...LOL
    Massive G
    Discount Code MASSG

www.trueprotein.com

Discount Code MASSG

MG "Powdered Muscle" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6952

MG "Testosterone Booster" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6954

Comment

depending on which type of DL's your doing hands are either just inside your knees (sumo) or just outside (regular)
      Massive G
      Discount Code MASSG

www.trueprotein.com

Discount Code MASSG

MG "Powdered Muscle" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6952

MG "Testosterone Booster" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6954

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, but I have just one more question. When you say arch your back, do you mean forward as like a stiff leg deadlift, or keep your back straight with a slight arch?

Comment

Originally posted by qkslvr1484
          Thanks for the suggestions, but I have just one more question. When you say arch your back, do you mean forward as like a stiff leg deadlift, or keep your back straight with a slight arch?

In all deadlifting or rack deadlifting movements, keep your back slightly arched and TIGHT. Do not round your back. As soon as your back starts rounding (losing tight form) the set is over.

As far as rack deads go, get set with your lower back slightly arched and tight and your upper back slightly squeezed. Maintain this tight form throughout the movement and at the top, give your upper back and traps a good hard squeeze.
          CrossFit Champions
          Champions Combat Arts

Comment

I feel that when I'm deadlifting and my form seems a bit off (the weight seems very hard) it's because I am not focusing enough on contracting my lats, they help a lot keeping my back straight,....... try to lift something and only use the erectors muscles in the back (not the lats) and you'll know what I mean.
            each day is an opportunity to move you closer to your goals.

<--- Batdog needs trueprotein for his superpowers www.trueprotein.com
            for a discount use my Batdog approved discount code: EGO693

Comment

Originally posted by Dante-

set up a rack deadlift where you pull from right above the knees ok? Use 135 to 185lbs and strap up--arch your back with shoulders back, and chest out the whole movement. Holding that position lower the barbell a TRUE 4 seconds during the negative phase back onto the pins (now you know why i have you using lighter weight doing this)--do 8-15 reps and remember always to stay in that position doing this---raise up and then GO slow down with back arched, chest out and shoulders back.
              TRAIN
              EAT
              SLEEP

DC STYLE!!!

www.trueprotein.com

Comment

guys,is the lower back supposed to be worked during deadlifts? I found that i might be arching my back too much during deadlifts and as a result,I now have a persisting lower back ache,even when not doing back exercises.Sometimes I wake up in a morning with a sharp pain in my lower back but it goes away after a couple minutes.I also cannot sit down without any form of back support otherwise it would really hurt.I have a CT scan done and nothing was wrong so i would think maybe it's just a sprain.

I've tried a slightly different form and i found it helped a lot.Basically I used to really arch my lower back a lot,until my butt sticks out.Now I'm trying to do deadlifts by not arching so much,basically just keeping my entire back flat and straight,with just a slight arch at the lower back.I found that by not arching my back to the max like i used to,my upper back is now very tight and as opposed to feeling my lower back sore the day after,now I feel the entire upper back sore after.Am i doing this right?

Comment

Originally posted by terence
                  guys,is the lower back supposed to be worked during deadlifts? I found that i might be arching my back too much during deadlifts and as a result,I now have a persisting lower back ache,even when not doing back exercises.Sometimes I wake up in a morning with a sharp pain in my lower back but it goes away after a couple minutes.I also cannot sit down without any form of back support otherwise it would really hurt.I have a CT scan done and nothing was wrong so i would think maybe it's just a sprain.

I've tried a slightly different form and i found it helped a lot.Basically I used to really arch my lower back a lot,until my butt sticks out.Now I'm trying to do deadlifts by not arching so much,basically just keeping my entire back flat and straight,with just a slight arch at the lower back.I found that by not arching my back to the max like i used to,my upper back is now very tight and as opposed to feeling my lower back sore the day after,now I feel the entire upper back sore after.Am i doing this right?
                  You should never hyperextend anything. Rather it be your lowerback, knee, or whatever. You need to find a comfortable "arch" in your back that doesn't cause such negative consequences. It varies a lot from each individual, but you will know when you have found it. Also, chronic lower back tightness/discomfort is "part of the game" IMO. If it gets to the level of chronic pain and episodes of severe pain, then you have a problem and should see an ortho or a chiro.
                  What really happened to Abe Lincoln - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQtzryVP1BA

Comment

i never really experienced any 'severe' pain or 'chronic' pain,just sharp tinges of discomfort in my lower back periodically.It's not really painful or anything just uncomfortable.It's like you know it's there but it's not painful just disturbing.You mean everyone gets this lower back ache if they are into weightlifting? I don't hear of anyone else talking about this though.

Comment

Originally posted by JnJ23
                      Originally posted by Dante-

set up a rack deadlift where you pull from right above the knees ok? Use 135 to 185lbs and strap up--arch your back with shoulders back, and chest out the whole movement. Holding that position lower the barbell a TRUE 4 seconds during the negative phase back onto the pins (now you know why i have you using lighter weight doing this)--do 8-15 reps and remember always to stay in that position doing this---raise up and then GO slow down with back arched, chest out and shoulders back.
                      this is for back thickness i presume?
                      countless hours of preparation, for minutes on stage

Step Back A Second, And See The Big Picture...

Comment

rack deads are for back thickness, yes...
                        TRAIN
                        EAT
                        SLEEP

DC STYLE!!!

www.trueprotein.com

Comment

thanks bro, just makin sure
                          countless hours of preparation, for minutes on stage

Step Back A Second, And See The Big Picture...

Comment

i never really experienced any 'severe' pain or 'chronic' pain,just sharp tinges of discomfort in my lower back periodically.It's not really painful or anything just uncomfortable.It's like you know it's there but it's not painful just disturbing.You mean everyone gets this lower back ache if they are into weightlifting? I don't hear of anyone else talking about this though.
                            Terence, if you happen to be "on" then that may be part of it. I get lower back pumps constantly. Even when off, if I'm over 280 I get them. I always wake up with a tight lower back and it takes 15 minutes or so to loosen up but then it's fine.

Comment

It seems to me that you're talking about lower back pain which comes from overextending your lower back, I used to get it very slightly sometimes but don't anymore. So don't ignore it and get your technique right, don't overextend but still keep some arch in the back.
                              each day is an opportunity to move you closer to your goals.

<--- Batdog needs trueprotein for his superpowers www.trueprotein.com
                              for a discount use my Batdog approved discount code: EGO693

Comment

Working...
                              X