Dorian Yates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dorian Yates

It's interesting to see how some of the successful pro's train & diet.
    Dorian Yates seems to have used some similar techniques to those advocated by DC.
    I found a few interesting similarities in an interview with Dorian Yates.

Here are a few quotes:
    1. Precomp
    My biggest mistake was probably trying to use the same weights and same intensity (i.e., training beyond failure) right up to competition. High-intensity techniques are great for stimulating growth if you have sufficient calories and rest. But when you get ready for a competition, your goal should shift toward maintaining muscle and reducing the injury factor. This is especially true if your energy and body fat levels are low and you're pushing your muscles and joints hard. Also, when dieting and training hard you don't sleep so well, which means you can't focus as well. All those factors increase your risk of injury. This also increases your risk of being catabolic because you're applying all that stress, and lack of calories and rest make it harder to recover. If I were to do it all again, I would downshift to training to failure only, or even subfailure, stopping 1-2 reps short of all-out effort. This would give enough stimulation to maintain the muscle while you concentrate on reducing body fat.

2. Emphasising the negative & rest-pause
    I did always emphasize the negative since it is just as important or more important than the positive portion, which a lot of people forget as they concentrate only on lifting the weight. Damage primarily occurs during the negative phase, which is responsible for the growth response. When I did negatives at the end, they were done on machines due to better control.
    I would also sometimes do a modified rest pause, training heavy for 5-6 reps, resting for about 10 seconds, then squeezing out another 1-2 reps.

3. Keeping a logbook
    I've had certain bodybuilders ask me questions on training. I would ask them what they did last time, or last year. They would reply, "I'm not really sure... I can't really remember." You're never going to learn anything if that's the case. If you keep a record you can see how you progress, how your body reacts, what works and what didn't. That allows you to refine it. But if you leave it to guesswork, it's like a captain on a ship without mapping out a course, floating out there and hoping to get where he wants to get.

4. AAS
    I used the same thing as everybody else... deca durabolin, testosterone, orals... they've all been out there for 20-30 years. People think that they can take this stuff and make incredible gains. It doesn't work that way. Steroids help the muscle building process, but they are not solely responsible. You still need to train hard, eat well, and get sufficient rest.

5. Cardio
    The weight training I did in the off-season and in-season was pretty much the same. So, to burn the fat, besides lowering calories, I performed aerobics up to one hour a day. I did half-hour in the morning and half-hour in the evening, or as needed. It wasn't high intensity aerobic training, but low in intensity, so I used primarily fat for energy. You can lose fat by increasing exercises and sets, but you run the risk of being more catabolic and losing muscle tissue. It makes it more difficult to recover from a higher than normal volume of training as well.

6. The need for exercise variety
    You can't get the whole physique. You will increase strength and get basic development, but you will not get full development of all muscle groups. It just isn't possible. You can't develop your lat width and thickness, rhomboids, trapezius, and lower back with just one exercise.

7. Adequate Protein
    My first concern was making certain I had adequate protein in regular intervals throughout the day. I averaged 1.5 grams per pound of body weight. Then it was just a matter of balancing the rest of the calories I needed between fat and carbohydrates. I'm not sure of the exact percentages, but it was probably around 30-40% protein, 50% carbs and 15-20% fat. It varied, but I saw the fats and carbohydrates as energy foods, and of course the necessity of essential fatty acids for the nervous system, etc.
    It was around 5500-6000 calories daily... yes. Of that, my protein was around 400-450 grams per day.
    "This sport is about extremes - using weights you havent used previously, taking in amounts of food to build greater muscle mass-in amounts you never have done previously, & doing the cardio to keep you at an acceptable offseason training bodyfat that keeps you happy." Dante

For supplements, visit http://www.trueprotein.com & use this
    DISCOUNT CODE - THA778
    for a 5% Discount
    :wavey:

Good post bro, DY & DC all the way.
    Official Web Designer of Intensemuscle.com :peace:

Advocate for Socially Relevant Search Engine -http://theenginuity.com

Comment

Damn right, Yates was/still is the damn man. If most the higher level pros are utilizing these same principles, juice or not...why wouldn't other people take notice and stop training half ass and eat only 1g per pound of bodyweight in protein? That just doesn't make any sense. The main excuse is that "oh those guys are on boatloads of drugs!". Maybe they are, but they're still busting their asses to get the top now aren't they?

Comment

Yea I have read that before in an interview he did with T-nation I believe it was,, correct me if I am wrong... Dorian is my hero and always will be. He probably was that most well thought out and well planned bodybuilder ever. Everything he did was according to logic and a strict plan to enforce that logic. It would have been amazing to see what heights he could have takend himself to if he had not had so many injuries. I honestly think if Dorian had not been hurt we would not be talking so much about Ronnie... Just my 2 cents.
        I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids or any illegal drug, any information discussed is for educational purposes only.

"Every goal has a price if you are willing to pay it"

Comment

I couldn't agree more, bigp. Dorian was all business...the man busted his ass 110%. Everything he did was calculated and for a reason. IMO the best and most inspirational bodybuilder of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by bigp3
            correct me if I am wrong... Dorian is my hero....
            I am going to correct you here Bigp3 and say he's my hero tooo.
            :albert: LOL.
            Official Web Designer of Intensemuscle.com :peace:

Advocate for Socially Relevant Search Engine -http://theenginuity.com

Comment

I following Dorian's style of training for many years and found it to be extremely effective....I personally feel that DC training is the next step along from where DY left off and some of the issues that I feel Dorian didn't fully address (scheduled periods of lower intensity to recover....backing off on the rest pauses etc pre-contest) are fully considered in the DC protocol....
              Massive G
              Discount Code MASSG

www.trueprotein.com

Discount Code MASSG

MG "Powdered Muscle" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6952

MG "Testosterone Booster" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6954

Comment

great post
                :showoff: Pain is weakness leaving the body – and strength training is the antidote. :showoff:

5% off trueprotein.com order when U use the discount code erl633

Comment

Great post BigDownUnder. When Yates retired competative bodybuilding was never the same for me. Yates was one of a kind, so hardworking and meticulous, which is how he had so much success. Like Platz before him he could train to the max.! That seems to be missing from todays crop of champs as genetics and drugs seems to compesate for so much. But those that ARE still training like mad men WITH superior genetics AND super supps will always stand out as men amongst men!

Interesting, Dorian could "only" train all-out for 6-weeks before he had to ease off slightly. Something I discovered just before I came across DC training, and I was heading in that direction anyway so DC training was a God send! In the past my fastest gains always came when I trained on the edge. Like MuscleNOW--which some kind US school teacher who barely knew me bought me for a present with his end of the year teachers cheque!--I only lasted 2 and 1/2 weeks before I burnt out but in that time I gained inches everywhere!

Stretching is something I "knew" I should do but being "hardcore" kind of put it on the backburner. As I mentioned in another post I spoke at length with a Dr. in the late 90's who swore to me that he added 1/2" to his calves in a single day through fascia stretching! That remained in my mind and I did stretch between sets for a while but then it became less and less. But being integral to DC training it's now part and parcel of my workouts, which is perfect to me as it's no longer a seperate entity I'll "do eventually".

Then there is exercise rotation, which I have discussed with John Christy who has his advanced trainees use for variety and enthusiasm boost. After 27 years of lifting my enthusiasm is--and will always be--high! But I still enjoy some variety in my routines as I am only human--unlike InHuman --so obviously rotating my favourite exercises is the perfect solution. Larry Scott endorses the same concept to offset joint problems which result from repetative movements along the same range of motion. So as soon as I discovered DC training and understood the concepts I knew it was for me as it was the accumulation of what I needed, enjoy, and thrive on!
                  Last edited by Lifter; 10-12-2004, 06:15 PM.
                  No-one trains HARDER!!

Comment

I remember the last bulking diet Dorian did, it seemed very similar in concept to DC feeding.

Does anyone happen to have a copy of his old bulk diet?
                    Cliche 'Everyone wants to be big, but no one wants to lift heavy weight'.

Comment

I thought you said you remembered it...
                      Massive G
                      Discount Code MASSG

www.trueprotein.com

Discount Code MASSG

MG "Powdered Muscle" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6952

MG "Testosterone Booster" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6954

Comment

I remember it was high protein, and he liked coffee and beef, but I can't remember the details.
                        Cliche 'Everyone wants to be big, but no one wants to lift heavy weight'.

Comment

Working...
                        X