hacks are killing my knees... need ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hacks are killing my knees... need ideas

Okay... here's the situation - since having to switch gyms I have been having issues with the hack squat machine... I don't know if it is the angle, or the platform or what it is exactly, but it is just killing my knees - and the one at my other gym was just fine. This machine also has the shoulder pads just slightly farther apart and it compresses my bad AC joint - so all in all I am going to have to drop Hacks... but I am not sure what to replace them with...

Looking through the other quad exercise threads basically I see hacks, squats, leg press, front squats ... and thats about it.
    Right now I am doing leg press for one of the days, ATF smith squats on another day, and the 3rd day was hacks. I tried doing zercher squats but couldn't hold enough weight that way to get a reasonable workout. Front squats are out of the question because of my AC joint issue.

Anyone got any brilliant ideas?

TrueNutrition.com discount code: AAL229 saves you 5%

Feel free to PM me with injury questions - I'll get back to you soon as I can.

Free-weight squats
    TRUEPROTEIN.COM
    --THE BEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS FOR THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICES

Comment

Have you tried different foot placement? Doing hacks I have to have my feet at the very top of the foot platform or I feel to much stress on my knees. Are you wrapping your knees? Hacks are the only leg movement that I feel stress on my knees. TLM and I just started wrapping our knees for these and it helps tremendously!
      Also, the should pads on the hack machine at our gym bothers TLM's shoulders so on the day we're doing hacks, she brings a large towel, rolls/folds it along it's length and places that on her shoulders before getting into the machine. That's helped her too.
      CrossFit Champions
      Champions Combat Arts

Comment

Those leg press with diff angles..? One parallel to the ground and another at an angle.. know some hack squat machines can actually function as a leg press to.. but at that angle..
        Consistency is the key

Protein? Use this for a 5% discount at www.trueprotein.com: LVP931

Comment

what about barbell hacks?
          www.trueprotein.com

www.proactivehealthnet.com/healthBB/

"Those who do not beleive in the impossible, should not distract those who are already doing it"

"if we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Note: i'm not an expert, but i'm probably right.

"Furthermore, the urge to overindulge is almost absent when drinking urine." - the skeptic's dictionary about urine therapy.

Comment

Wrap the knees. I had the same problem but i started wrapping them and no pain!

TH
            For all your Trueprotein supplement needs (www.trueprotein.com), use this code (SER742) and receive 5% off your purchase. Save 10% on orders 16lbs or more!

Comment

:iagree:
              Through the best and the worst
              The struggle and sacrifice.
              For the true who've remained and the new blood.
              Motivation, undying allegiance
              Striving through the hardships and affliction.
              Every drop of blood
              Every bitter tear
              Every bead of sweat
              I live for this

Comment

I wrap my knees, and I have tried every possible foot position and stance width combination... The pain at the time is minor, but for the next few days to week I have enough pain that it messes up the next leg workout in the rotation.

I just dropped free squats because I was having to lessen my range to add weight.

Any instructions for barbell hacks? I remember seeing them somewhere...

Comment

We do have a parallel to the ground leg press - cable and weight stack design, thats an idea. I've always been afraid of those ever since the cable snapped on one while I was using it - talk about an exercise hurting your knees... and the stupid gym owner actually had the nerve to try telling me I was going to pay for repairing the machine!

Comment

Barbell hacks are basically a like a deadlift behind the legs, the bar is held behind you but you dont have to set it down

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...HackSquat.html
                    Lift big 2 get big
                    TrueProtein.com Use discount code ctg001 for additional savings on already great prices
                    mod at bodybuilding.com
                    mod at iron-forum.com
                    mod at melanoplanet.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
                    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??
                    "Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes.
                    Because, then you're a mile away, AND you've got their shoes"

Comment

Barbell hacks arent worth doing. Pretty cumbersome. If you didnt like zurchers you wont like there. You may have to have a heavier, low rep squat day and a lower weight, high rep day for squats. Maybe mix things up if you have too. Superset some things every so often. But you should not do the hacks.
                      International Elite Raw Powerlifter
                      Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

barbell walking lunges
                        not the greatest exercise for getting strong on but they are fairly effective (i find anyways) and they are certainly better then nothing
                        It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Comment

barbell hacks torch my quads, great exercise
                          Trueprotein.com

Troponin Athlete

Lana's EggWhites "Get Hard, Stay Hard"

Comment

Originally posted by rowtogrow
                            barbell hacks torch my quads, great exercise
                            :iagree:

Barbell Hacks are one of my favorite exercises.

Comment

Well, trying doing barbell hacks with real weight.
                              International Elite Raw Powerlifter
                              Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Working...
                              X