Warmups and Pro routines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warmups and Pro routines

After reading DC post on Mentzer/Science on here I got thinking lastnight and started flipping throught the old flex and muscle fitness magazines, I still got some from the early 90's and 80's. LOL

One thing I noticed and remember was looking at some of the Pro's workouts back then when I was just starting out, and thinking, Gosh they sure do a lot of sets and a lot of work. and then blindly following there exact program thinking it would make me big, I know we all have done it at some point when we were young.

And what I realized is sure it looks like these guys are doing a lot of work, and they are, but if you really look at it, there doing a whole lot more warmup sets, simply because they have reached such high poundages on their lifts. So at some point when they were younger they were only doing 1 or 2 warmup sets, and now they may need 3 - 5, which sometimes makes it look like an insame amount of work to replicate if your starting out.

I hope this makes sense.
    Official Web Designer of Intensemuscle.com :peace:

Advocate for Socially Relevant Search Engine -http://theenginuity.com

C11, You are correct, the higher you get in weights the more warm ups you need, thats why when we are doing DC's program some of us have to break up the split cause the warm ups are causing with a partner to run into 3 hour workouts.

And remember, these guys only had Arnold to live by back then and felt as we all do, more must be better, well we know different from what DC has taught us, lift hard, intense, short duration, eat, rest and grow, its so simple but we are all different, so everyone will continue to do their own thing...
    "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

Right on IH.... luckily I never fell for Ahhhnold's volume crap as when I started training Mike Mentzer burst on the bodybuilding scene so I started HD shortly after I began lifting. I know 1 set taken to the absolute limit is enough... sometimes more than enough. Like yesterday I did dips/lying db laterals and pushdowns. Seems simple enough, hey? But today I am BRUISED throughout! Even my side delts--which rarely feel any effects--is so depleted I am trying to do everything in my power not to flex any part of my body! Not to mention my poor legs, which were trained 4 days ago are still in agony.
      I've trained my fair share or people over the years, at one time I was a gym instructor so I have trained a wide cross-section of the community. Do you know how many people have kept at my own home gym and they saw how I trained myself and what I expected of them if they were serious about gaining? NONE! One guy came to me all gung-ho about wanting to build up to be a stripper. I didn't want to train him but he persisted till I gave in and agreed. I went first in the workout and it happened to be one of the times I passed out! He went through his workout, half-heartdly I must agree--then guess what? I never saw or heard from the guy again. Wimp! LOL
      No-one trains HARDER!!

Comment

This is right on the money... I just bought Markus Ruhls DVD and if you actually count his all out work sets it is somewhere in the 2 or 3 per body part range. He, like most pros does a ton of warmups and then one all out heavy set and moves back down to a lighter set. I know dorian yets approach was to minimize the amount of warmups he did which I liked. Instead of pounding out 10 or 15 reps on his warm up sets he would only do a few reps just to get a feel for the weight....
        I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids or any illegal drug, any information discussed is for educational purposes only.

"Every goal has a price if you are willing to pay it"

Comment

Aha, so there is a Markus Ruhl training dvd then? I have enquired about one and have yet to recieve a reply. I assume it is 100% hard-core, like Yate's Blood & Guts?
          No-one trains HARDER!!

Comment

Plus Ruhl's gf is pretty freaky!
            International Elite Raw Powerlifter
            Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Originally posted by bigp3
              This is right on the money... I just bought Markus Ruhls DVD and if you actually count his all out work sets it is somewhere in the 2 or 3 per body part range. He, like most pros does a ton of warmups and then one all out heavy set and moves back down to a lighter set. I know dorian yets approach was to minimize the amount of warmups he did which I liked. Instead of pounding out 10 or 15 reps on his warm up sets he would only do a few reps just to get a feel for the weight....
              Watch Unbelieveable , and you'll notice the same thing with Ronnie, very much like Markus.
              Official Web Designer of Intensemuscle.com :peace:

Advocate for Socially Relevant Search Engine -http://theenginuity.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lifter
                Aha, so there is a Markus Ruhl training dvd then? I have enquired about one and have yet to recieve a reply. I assume it is 100% hard-core, like Yate's Blood & Guts?
                You should be able to get his DVD on Ebay for a good price.

Comment

Thanks... I bought it yesterday! The man is a literal FREAK!!! I can't believe how little he really does... he trains closer to Yate's than most other Pros--so there is at least one pro that isn't a volume nut! LOL
                  No-one trains HARDER!!

Comment

I was shocked at how little Markus did as well... I always see in the mags that he is a volume trainer and this seems to be totally bogus after seeing the DVD. He just does a lot of warmups and basically one or 2 worksets.... THATS IT.
                    I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids or any illegal drug, any information discussed is for educational purposes only.

"Every goal has a price if you are willing to pay it"

Comment

Can't wait to see it BP3!
                      ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
                      Good luck
                      Jimpaul/Newtoketo

EAT BIG, LIFT BIG AND GET BIG...SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN

USE TRUENUTRITION.COM FOR ALL YOUR
                      SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!
                      TO GET MY DISCOUNT USE Jat338

Comment

YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT RUHL'S DVD DOES NOT SHOW ALL OF HIS SETS.. HE IS A HIGH VOLUME TRAINER.. but, he is only showing "some" of his sets not all of his sets.. if he were to show all of his work sets the dvd would have to have 4 hours worth of action lol.. a fews years back he was in venice beach golds working out.. my buddy dave was there to meet him..(dave is very connected in the sport) dave told me he was surprised at the amount of work that ruhl was able to do..yes, it was a hell of a lot more that two or three work sets..

Comment

Working...
                        X