Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

height and its effect on lifting...opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• height and its effect on lifting...opinions?

I was having a discussion with one of my friends about how much height difference and being shorter helps when it comes to moving weight. he seemed to think it made a big difference(he is 6 foot 5, 230) Does anyone know of any good articles that address this? How much does height really effect this ability? Obviously someone taller has to move weight further than someone shorter with the same amount of reps and I would assume taller people have longer muscles?
    Just curious to see what people here have to say on the subject.

Long arms = better deadlifters

short arms = better benchers

For the most part.

Comment

taller people=longer limbs=longer movements
      You ever watch the world strongest competitions? those short guys can squat like there's no tomorrow and those tall guys have to have travel so far they usually can't do as much weight.
      "Well done is better than well said"

:rocker:

Comment

Taller isn't necessarily a disadvantage. If the femur is short even though they are 6'4" they could be an awesome squatter. There is more involved than just saying long or short. Check out the NSCA site.
        International Elite Raw Powerlifter
        Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

I have seen some strong ass tall people in my life and I am pretty tall myself and I don't feel it has handicapped me. Obviously, it is easier to put mass on a 5'5" frame but in my opinion it is all relative. Anyway what is more impressive, a jacked up 5'5" guy or a jacked up 6'5" guy. I guarantee the tall guy is going to get more looks.
          I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids or any illegal drug, any information discussed is for educational purposes only.

"Every goal has a price if you are willing to pay it"

Comment

Originally posted by bigp3
            a jacked up 5'5" guy or a jacked up 6'5" guy. I guarantee the tall guy is going to get more looks.
            Aww shut up!

Comment

midget,,,, LOL
              I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids or any illegal drug, any information discussed is for educational purposes only.

"Every goal has a price if you are willing to pay it"

Comment

FrigginHuge-6'3

Thankyou God :smooch:
                Massive G
                Discount Code MASSG

www.trueprotein.com

Discount Code MASSG

MG "Powdered Muscle" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6952

MG "Testosterone Booster" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6954

Comment

I am just right. 6'
                  International Elite Raw Powerlifter
                  Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Originally posted by USMuscle9403
                    Long arms = better deadlifters

short arms = better benchers

For the most part.

That's accurate for me. I've found that I kick ass on most all pulling movements, but pushing movements are harder for me. Another thing is the amount of muscle you have to put on to be a viable bodybuilder at my height is A lOT. I know when I diet down, i'll look like a beanpole...lol...for me, I need to step on stage at least at 240 to look like I belong......so that's why I'm working with DC. I've put on 40 lbs since starting with him in July and am around 270 now.....35 more to go before I start dieting down for a show.

R

Comment

I got into an argument with some guy on Getbig over this. Having long arms and legs definitely puts you at a disadvantage in the bench press and squat.

When I think of the best squatters in bodybuilding, I think of short guys like Tom Platz, Rich Gaspari, and Lee Priest. They seem to have a big advantage in that particular exercise.

Comment

In terms of looking good with muscle mass, I think shorter guys have an advantage. I mean, how many top professional BB's are over 6 foot? To me, the holy grail of BB would be a guy who was tall and as equally muscular and dense as the shorter guys. He would make other competitors look like children.
                        What really happened to Abe Lincoln - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQtzryVP1BA

Comment

USMUSCLE and I are Umpa-Lumpa's! 5'6 baby!

TH
                          For all your Trueprotein supplement needs (www.trueprotein.com), use this code (SER742) and receive 5% off your purchase. Save 10% on orders 16lbs or more!

Comment

Originally posted by BeeJ
                            In terms of looking good with muscle mass, I think shorter guys have an advantage. I mean, how many top professional BB's are over 6 foot?

LOL..Do you really believe that?Most people think short bodybuilder's look like crap and that their mass makes them look EVEN shorter.
                            Massive G
                            Discount Code MASSG

www.trueprotein.com

Discount Code MASSG

MG "Powdered Muscle" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6952

MG "Testosterone Booster" http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6954

Comment

Originally posted by FrigginHuge
                              LOL..Do you really believe that?Most people think short bodybuilder's look like crap and that their mass makes them look EVEN shorter.
                              Yea honestly, I sort of like being short but I think that a taller bodybuilder looks better than a shorter bodybuilder. Just looks alot more impressive when they packed on that much muscle to fill out a tall ass frame as opposed to a 5'5" guy that would look enormous at 200lbs if he had a small skeletal structure along with very low bodyfat.

Comment

Working...
                              X