Front Squats Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Squats Anyone?

How many of you guys/girls to front squats for quads? They are a real challenge doing DC style with the widowmaker, given that it is hard to keep a proper clean grip for high reps. I use wrist straps like this for high reps: https://www.tnation.com/system/publi...jpg?1389297932

I feel like I am going to die afterwards, I find they fatigue me way more than back squats (which I rarely do).

Ever try them on the smith machine?
    SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Link not showing up (can't connect to server)
      #docswholift
      PGY-1 FM
      "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

I do them regularly with the DC program. I didnt see the link but I know what your doing with the straps. It does work very well. The best thing ive done is chalk the shit out of the bar and it just sticks to ya. Keep in mind im a sweaty mother fucker/chalk whore when I train. I like crossing the arms and pushing the elbows high, helps with my posture during the lift.

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
          Ever try them on the smith machine?
          Yes, but I had a hard time gripping the bar and keeping it from not hooking back on the machine haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Keyser_Soze11 View Post
            Yes, but I had a hard time gripping the bar and keeping it from not hooking back on the machine haha.

I had this issue too at first. Face the opposite way. Don't have to worry about hooking the weight or even holding it with your hands.
            SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

I love them but they choke the hell out of me by the end. I've found that by lowering the weight and getting a good pause, on top of using the smith machine, I've made them very effective and lots less uncomfortable.
              2013 NPC Heartland Classic OKC - 1st Men's Lightheavyweight Novice/Overall

Comment

Originally posted by PhoebeusFenix View Post
                I love them but they choke the hell out of me by the end. I've found that by lowering the weight and getting a good pause, on top of using the smith machine, I've made them very effective and lots less uncomfortable.
                Using cross arm grip I imagine?

Comment

They TRASH my legs. Huge fan for sure. Maybe throw a Zercher Squat in there to avoid the choking. Little different but good alternative.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Just started my new BLAST period. For my quad exercises I have changed it up slightly to as follows:

B1: Front squat 6-10 Reps/ Widowmaker
                    B2: Very close stance Front Squat 6-10 reps/ Widowmaker Close stance high bar squats
                    B3: Smith machine squats 6-10 reps/Widowmaker

I Added back in High bar squats as a widowmaker bc I can stabilize the weight better. Plus I already do a Front squat widowmaker for B1. I havent done back squats in a LONG time so it will be cool to mix it up

Comment

I actually hold my thumbs under the bar, not cross arm as thats what makes me choke.

The best description is the position that you put your hands in when you pray, thumbs under the bar. I find on the smith once it is in position it keeps me locked in very good.
                      2013 NPC Heartland Classic OKC - 1st Men's Lightheavyweight Novice/Overall

Comment

Originally posted by PhoebeusFenix View Post
                        I actually hold my thumbs under the bar, not cross arm as thats what makes me choke.

The best description is the position that you put your hands in when you pray, thumbs under the bar. I find on the smith once it is in position it keeps me locked in very good.
                        Ohh ok I get what youre saying. Thumbs under the bar might help w the smith machine version. I will try that Saturday

Comment

Smith Front Squats have worked great for adding more of a sweep to my legs. Traditional squats for me target the glutes way to much.

Comment

Originally posted by thethinker48 View Post
                            Smith Front Squats have worked great for adding more of a sweep to my legs. Traditional squats for me target the glutes way to much.
                            I have started doing full back squats again for my widowmakers. I used to do front squats for the widowmaker, but even when I used the strap grip the delts/upper back will give up before the legs. I will mix in some smith front squats next Blast. I just need to get the grip right on them.

Comment

i use one of these when front squatting. this is not me.. im not quite this old yet.. =0)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqKV40_4fQ0
                              site owner of ironaddicts.com

Comment

Working...
                              X