Weak pecs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weak pecs

Would like to hear peoples opinion on this training gadget.
    I always had a hard time feeling my pecs when training chest.
    I believe the reason beeing a kyphotic upper back and as a result a hard time retracting the scapula on pressing exercises.
    I am thinking this would somewhat force the shoulder blades together and therefore resulting in a better stretch of the chest.
    I am however concerned about the decreased stability and whether progression will be to difficult.
    I also looked at "The Pakulski Bench" which gives a similar effect but, liked the "Bamboo Bench" more because of it being easy to transport.
    Theres a video with Charles Poliquin on youtube, if anybody should be interested seeing it in use.
    Also it doesnt hurt when a guy with such a massive chest like Markus ruhl endorses it.
    Thanks
    Attached Files

I get the concept of using one of those but buying one is another story. I could roll up a couple yoga mats my gym has lying around and place it on the bench the same way. Hell, even a foam roller would suffice.

If it were me, I wouldn't use something like that to continually increase resistance on (progression), but rather use it as a tool to get my chest to work more on other exercises. So it would simply be an accessory to my compound movements. Use something like that just to relearn how to use your chest on something like an incline barbell press for example.

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
    *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
    •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
    *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

This ^ .

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
      Instagram: @intensemuscle
      YouTube: TEAMSKIP
      TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Go to 2:50 of this video, also you don't need this bench, just a folded towel, works great:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=ph9SF8lsnaU
        "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
        Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
        'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
        ~William Bernbach

Comment

Posting here to remind myself to get back to this thread later.
          "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
            This ^ .

Skip
            I love it when I get "This'd" by Skip

Also I tried an incline fly on a foam roller today and it didn't really do much.

I find my chest gets hit hardest when I practice posing more often. I'm a big believer that whether you compete or not you should be practicing posing and holding those contractions to build a connection with the muscle. Very similar to getting a muscle to engage again after atrophy from a surgery. You can be sore from posing alone.
            Last edited by Collabera; 10-15-2015, 05:42 PM.

True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
            *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
            •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
            *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

Comment

Anyone who has been training a decent amount of time 3-5 years minimum, who is also using proper form and sticking with basic compound, tried and tested moves, who also has a weak or lagging muscle, it's simply genetics. Arrange the training split to give a higher frequency to that muscle. Also change rep and weight amount to keep the muscle guessing and not kill the joints with constant heavy weight.

Comment

I have a friend with a great physique but he delt presses on bench and has no chest due to terrible technique. It is mostly but not always genetics.

Do you think I can get him to drop a few lbs off his bench to learn proper technique? Nah, Nadda, No Chance.
                "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
                Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
                'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
                ~William Bernbach

Comment

the POF guys talked about teaching people to "feel their pecs" by starting off all chest routines with 4-6 sets of cable flys and then using DB presses and barbell presses after with the intentional squeezing (similar to Pak).

Id rather you learn how to to mentally connect with your pecs than be reliant on a specific piece of equipment.

on a side note, teaching people to feel specific muscles usually involves dropping the weight used.
                  '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                  17 AAU Super Total
                  '16-AAU Hi
                  '15-USPA Metro
                  '15-USPA State
                  '15-AAU HI
                  '14-AAU HI
                  '14-USPA Metro
                  '14-WABDL Sonny's
                  '14-USPA State
                  '14-HI Strongman
                  '13-USPA
                  '13-WABDL Sonny's
                  '13-USPA State
                  '13-AAU HI
                  '11-USPA Metro
                  '10-NPC Stingrey
                  '09-NPC Islands
                  '09-NPC Stingrey
                  '09-ABA Islands
                  '02-ABA Islands
                  '02-ABA IronWorks
                  '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                  '01-ABA Olympia
                  '01-ABA Islands
                  '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                  '00-INBF Musclefest
                  '98-NGA Ill
                  '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

I think the best move for pecs is a fly move on a flat bench. That's what I did in as a teenager in my makeshift crap gym, and the pecs was one of my better body parts.

I mean look at Eddie Robinson, he was world class in bench press. Huge arms/tris, average chest, compaered to arms. Not saying a weak chest, just average compared to arms. Genetics. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by Collabera View Post
                      I get the concept of using one of those but buying one is another story. I could roll up a couple yoga mats my gym has lying around and place it on the bench the same way. Hell, even a foam roller would suffice.

If it were me, I wouldn't use something like that to continually increase resistance on (progression), but rather use it as a tool to get my chest to work more on other exercises. So it would simply be an accessory to my compound movements. Use something like that just to relearn how to use your chest on something like an incline barbell press for example.
                      Youre right something similar could easily be assembled. Also just realised that it cost 220 EURO which seems a bit excessive.

Go to 2:50 of this video, also you don't need this bench, just a folded towel, works great
                      Love those Parrillo videos lots of good tweaks. Wish he would make some more.

I think the best move for pecs is a fly move on a flat bench. That's what I did in as a teenager in my makeshift crap gym, and the pecs was one of my better body parts.

I mean look at Eddie Robinson, he was world class in bench press. Huge arms/tris, average chest, compaered to arms. Not saying a weak chest, just average compared to arms. Genetics. Period.
                      I get what youre saying and the same could be said for levrone and others. On the other hand there have also been alot of guys with huge chest whom relied on presses. I think part of the "secret"(Other being genetics) is in how you perform your presses. Just like Parrillo says in the video, getting the shoulder back and down is of utmost importance.

Thanks for all posts

Comment

You can always pick one of these up:

http://www.amazon.com/Foam-Roller-Ha.../dp/B000VK1YM2

(Many gyms have them, actually. I just used one yesterday...)

-S
                        The Book Has Arrived!
                        The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                        2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                        2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                          You can always pick one of these up:

(Many gyms have them, actually. I just used one yesterday...)

-S
                          Did you use it like the "bamboo bench" when training chest? If so how did you like it?.

BTW I really enjoyed your FT book and highly recommend it for everyone interested in bodybuilding. Not just peolpe interested in training FT.
                          Its filled with valuable information, all backed with scientific results.
                          Must have taken a long time to create.

Comment

Originally posted by sbh View Post
                            Did you use it like the "bamboo bench" when training chest? If so how did you like it?.

BTW I really enjoyed your FT book and highly recommend it for everyone interested in bodybuilding. Not just peolpe interested in training FT.
                            Its filled with valuable information, all backed with scientific results.
                            Must have taken a long time to create.
                            Yep - used it just like that. (That strategy - with a towel or what have you - has been around for a while now.)

benches that slightly reverse the thoracic curvature (arch your upper back backwards) feel great, too.

Glad you liked the book! (Weekend project I just whipped out for kicks... )

Thanks for spreading the word on it, too. I have a feeling a lot of folks are picking it up for those reasons, too, as well as for the training system. I'm happy regardless if its helping some folks out.

-S
                            The Book Has Arrived!
                            The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                            2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                            2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Try benching with a strip set. Every time you drop the weight move your hands in from wide to narrow, but short of center grip position. Do a 10/10/15-20 strip. You chest will be splodin.

Comment

Working...
                              X