Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking the DC plunge. Please critique my routine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking the DC plunge. Please critique my routine.

Here we go guys....
    Until I can afford the proper guidance this is what I wanna get started with.
    I picked the exercises based on what I think works best for me, what I get the best contractions and pumps with. What I definitely feel the most.
    All exercises will be done with proper negative times and ending in static position for one more "set"
    Everything is followed by extreme stretches - 30-60 seconds.

I've taken it easy this week, knowing what is coming next week and on.
    This isn't about nutrition - strictly training. I'll throw in a few pictures for viewing fun. None are mandatory poses - just a few random shots. I'll get to those when I feel like shaving my body and getting pretty.

Here goes:
    Workouts:

A1:
    Hammer Incline 1RP 11-15
    Hammer Military 1RP 11-15
    Weighted Dips 1RP 15-20
    Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns 1RP 15-20
    Bent Over BB Rows 2 SS 8-12

A2:
    Decline BB Bench 1RP 11-15
    Smith Military 1RP 11-15
    Smith CG Bench 1RP 11-15
    Rack Chins 1RP 15-20
    T-Bar Rows 2 SS 8-12

A3:
    Smith Incline 1RP 11-15
    DB Military Press 1RP 15-20 (I thought about doing Side Laterals here, but am I better off with the compound movements for all 3?)
    DB Skull Crushers to Chest 1RP 15-20
    Reverse Grip Lat Pulldown 1RP 15-20
    Hammer Strength Rows 2 SS 6-8

B1:
    BB Curl 1RP 20-30
    Reverse BB Curl 1SS 10-20
    Seated Calf Raises 1 SS 10-12
    Glute-Ham Raises 1RP 11-15
    Leg Press 2 SS 6-8 + WM
    SL Deadlift 1 SS 10-15

B2:
    DB Curl 1RP 20-30
    Hammer Curl 1 SS 15-20
    Standing Calf Raises 1SS 10-12
    Lying Leg Curl 1 RP 15-20
    Squat 2 SS 6-8 + WM

B3:
    EZ Cable Curl 1RP 20-30
    Pinwheel Curl 1 SS 15-20
    Standing Calf Raises 1 SS 10-12
    Hacks 2 SS 6-8 + WM
    Seated Leg Curl 1RP 15-20

And that is that. Thank you to everyone who took the time to read and reply with any suggestions and proper changes that I need.

Pics:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DTwoGuns; 09-24-2015, 12:02 PM.

1. stretching is a very intense single set
    Look at the extreme stretches courtesy of extreme one sticky

2. For back width of it WERE me based on your first selection
    I'd select rack chins and a neutral and close grip chin
    Close seconds would be (not ranked I love all these

V bar pulldown
    Hammer high row
    Shoulder width reverse grip pulldown

Yes u should add a a3 and b3
    And then you can get some guys helping you with reccomendations and really dig into giving u some tips on keeping your blast rolling and maximizing the length of it
    I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
    I too like to live dangerously

Comment

I love rack chins.
      "An egg yolk is a terrible thing to waste"
      J.M.

Comment

Please add the A3 and B3 as recommended. If not you will not be following DC as written and will be coming to the same exercises too frequently. I do not do DC anymore but when I did it would always interest me in the people who did not follow the program and then did not get the results.

I and I feel others would be more willing to help if you did not deviate from the program at least for a little while. Dante sets it out in the stickies and explains it very well.
        "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
        Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
        'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
        ~William Bernbach

Comment

Great, will definitely add A3 and B3 once I get in front of my book.

Other than that....am I on the right track with everything?

Comment

It would APPEAR so yes
            But the way the program is (at least I can and will give u some feed back)
            It's easier to say for sure bc it's important to view the program as a whole when all 3 listing for each day are listed

It sounds almost nitpicking lol but the way all 3 of the rotations interact with one another are fairly criticalnwhen u start talking about low back Health elbow health
            Rep range variety and varying your stimulus
            Last edited by DC_catholic315; 09-24-2015, 12:06 PM.

Comment

A3/B3 has been added. Included one question in it about side laterals rather than another compound.

Comment

I'm in red below

A1
                Hammer Incline 1RP 20-30
                Hammer Military 1RP 11-15
                Weighted Dips 1RP 15-20
                Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns 1RP 15-20
                Bent Over BB Rows 2 SS 6-8and 10-12

A2:
                Decline BB Bench 1RP 15-20
                Smith Military 1RP 11-15
                dumbbell skullkrusher 1RP 20-30
                Rack Chins 1RP 20-30
                rack pulls ss 15-20 and 8-12

A3:
                Smith Incline 1RP 15-20
                wide grip upright row 20-30
                smythe close grip bench rp 11-15
                Reverse Grip Lat Pulldown 1RP 11-15
                Hammer Strength Rows rp 20-30

B1:
                BB Curl 1RP 11-15
                Reverse BB Curl 1SS 11-22
                Seated Calf Raises 1 SS 10-12
                sumo leg press ss 15-25
                leg press ss10-20 20-30

B2:
                DB Curl 1RP 20-30
                Hammer Curl 1 SS 11-22
                Standing Calf Raises 1SS 10-12
                Lying Leg Curl 1 RP 15-20
                Squat 2 SS 6-8 + WM

B3:
                preacher or spider curl rp 15-20
                Pinwheel Curl 1 SS 15-20
                Standing Calf Raises 1 SS 10-12
                Seated leg curl rp 20-30
                Hacks 2 SS 6-8 + WM

Few points as to why I changed the things
                If I wanted to do ghr I'd do them before hacks
                I put the first leg day between your two most back intensive days as the leg press so your low back isn't being thrashed lol

If you wanted to do t bars instead of rack deads that would be fine
                They are jus a great movement

The rep ranges were edited to give you different stimulations
                I would use this guideline
                I'd run a 11-15, 15-20 , and 20-30 for each bodypart
                Having said that:
                1. I would never do ext movements for less than 20-30 rp
                2. I would make my strongest movement my 11-15, my Second movement (considering the first suggestion and second suggestion) 15-20
                And the one that gave me the best pump or there was a potential to injur myself (think upright rows and skullkrushers etc)

I do not think laterals are the best idea
                But I feel you about how much they do form me
                Wide grip upright rows are the shit
                YouTube Charles glass doing them and do them that way
                I think Dante had a vid in the ask a guy named doggcrapp anything thread

Consider rest pausing the hammer row since the chest is supported

I changed some exercise order because I personally feel it's beneficial to your chest/delt/tricep rotation to be on a different rep range for each instead of doing 20-30 for every ting 11-15 for everything of the same day
                I got better results with a mixture

It's less important with width moves imo
                Because thickness is so different

Notice I placed the chest supported row on the day between squats and hacks
                Again to give your low back a breather

I had my best results with this structure with my low back

Also I would consider using the 20-30 on the rack chins bc u should really be able to manage your bw for 30 total rp reps before even thinking about adding wt
                On these after your 3rd attempt try for 15-20+ partials using only the 1/2 tom from ext (arms close to straight to arms about 90 repping quickly)

I am assuming know the calf training is 10-12 with slow 5 count neg and 15 sec stretch before blasting up to a strong contraction... If you didn't now u do lol

Abs aren't listed if you don't train them offseason I understand why and respect that if you do you can do a rest pause for a set of 30-50 30-40 or even 20-30
                For an exercise each day
                It's individualized based on what u need
                If your less than happy with your abs then kill them this blast and use one of each rep range

I changed one bicep exercise to a preacher bc IMO (I was assuming you were talking about a standard ex bar curl) it would be redundant as well as most guys benefit from this type of movement

All stretches should be a minute or more (up to 90 sec IMO) before adding wt

I like the layout
                I'll look at it later with fresh eyes to see if I fucked up

This is jus my .02
                Jus passing on what worked for me :-)
                Feel free to mix match or if u have questions ask

Main thing is I tried to take the moves u wanted to do and place them in a way you are stimulating differnt fibers from alters rep ranges and not fucking your back up from to much stress
                Last edited by DC_catholic315; 09-24-2015, 01:30 PM.

Comment

I'll have to re-read it again and again but right off the bat - if the strongest movements are 11-15, why are some of the chest exercises as high as 20-30?

Comment

It's your preference as to wheter u vary your ranges at all or u stick with the origional ones laid out in the newbies read first ask questions later article (Dante's inferno?? I think)

I meant within a set of exercises

Let's say u have selected
                    Decline hammer press
                    Incline barbell press
                    And flat dumbbell
                    (I know u didn't but for the sake of the example jus work with me)

Let's say you are strong as shit on decline hammer press
                    Ok so ull prolly grind with it well in the 11-15 range since you'll be using "lower" reps
                    Like a hypothetical 6-3-2 or a 8-4-2 or whatever u get within your sets

Well let's say....that with dumbbell movements...we know how awkward it is to do a heavy set of 6 so think about the cumulative fatigue of a set of 7/3/1 rediculously hard
                    So u use the 20-30 or like a 12-7-4 or a 14-8-5 or whatever
                    Much easier and less likely the joints are getting injured or whatever

Well that leaves an option for a 3 rd rep range 15-20
                    Or an option of repeating a rep range
                    Say u know that you respond well to low reps on chest
                    Maybe u would do well with 11-15 on everything
                    Or you know your Delt presses give u hell if you go heavy all the time
                    Maybe 15-20 and 20-30
                    Or even jus 20-30 for the sake of injury prevention
                    This is where knowing your body comes into play

This is where your choice comes in.... I did my best to rotate all 3 rep ranges
                    I wanted to offer up varied stimulus each week and I did well with it

I always put my 15-20 in there with the other 2 on a movement that getting a 8-5-3
                    Or 10-6-3 worked well on

I feel it's a good idea to rotate and vary and it's an idea that I know mental flex and several others helped me by suggesting that idea
                    And I believe (I could be wrong) that Scott was of the same vien of thinking...

In the end it's up to you but I personally liked the varied rep ranges for the stimulus and bc after u start grinding and grinding it's kinda nice to be able to still lift heavy but have that higher rep range to sorta give you a "break" from the heavy 6-8s, 2-4s, and 1-3s

Comment

So I was saying for each bodypart selection
                      I'd pick the strongest for that body part and put it in my 11-15
                      The one that would potentially give me joint problems, was a dumbell of ext moves for tendon health, or even if I had jus got brutally strong on it and needed a cushion to keep progressing that would be my 20-30

The 15-20 I liked for variety and I usually put an old favotrite or one that I'd beat to hell in the lower rep range but didn't want to drop or plateau soon

Again it's a choice u get to make
                      But I like varying them

Comment

Originally posted by DTwoGuns View Post
                        I'll have to re-read it again and again but right off the bat - if the strongest movements are 11-15, why are some of the chest exercises as high as 20-30?
                        Mostly your preference. I like to stick to 11-15 for nearly everything too.

Some movements are a bitch to get into position (getting the movement started on a Hammer Machine for instance, DB presses where you have to kick the weights into position each and every micro-set, so on.) so it's easier to up the reps and use a lighter weight.

Picture yourself having to kick up a 160lb DB for shoulder presses, 30 seconds after you just did a failure set to 6-8 reps and you'll get what I'm talking about.
                        "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

i couldn't agree more

I have gotten some benefit from every rep range at one time or another in my training (not even jus DC training)
                          I won't lie I saw some Graat gains keeping all rest pauses at 11-15 (minus ext and biceps I did 15-20 rp...)
                          All forearms at 11-22 ss
                          All quads at 4-8 and 15-20
                          All back thickness at 4-8 and 10-15
                          And most hams at either the 15-25 ss or rp dep on moves

I noticed my blast were LONGER my gains were better and I wasn't as beat up varying them (rep ranges)
                          And I jus like using high reps regularly quite honestly
                          It made progression more consistent and training well more fun
                          That heavy 6-8 shit will mentally wear u down after a minute of butch slapping your log book

I also noticed SOME bodyparts seemed to respond better (chest I do better low reps legs I do better with higher reps) respond better to high reps and that some NEED higher ranges (triceps for me ESP) jus to not be a walking case of tendinitis with a bc to blood ratio of 2:1 lol

So it made my blast longer, I hurt less as far as my Joints, I had days I had ok pumps
                          Good pumps and then insane pumps and dramatically cut back my nsaid usage
                          Last edited by DC_catholic315; 09-26-2015, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Yeah I definitely agree with switching up rep ranges, and certain body parts that respond better to high reps and lower reps. It'll have to be trail and error for a while with DC training. But I definitely understand the whole idea of throwing up 150b dumbbells for a static hold vs. lighter with high rep ranges lol.
                            First few workouts were absolutely brutal. Had to switch up the scheduling for a short term being that I'm having some oral surgery done on Tuesday...so wanted to make sure I got in a few lifts this week, followed by one on Monday, than another hopefully on Thursday and back to Friday then back to the regular M-W-F the week after next.

May start a wordpress blog log on my DC training progress.....

Comment

Hell yea!!
                              Kill it bro

Comment

Working...
                              X