Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 exercise rotation?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 4 exercise rotation?

    I tried doing a search, and couldn't come up with anything. If there is a link can someone please post it. I'm trying to find if anybody has had any experience going with a four exercise rotation as opposed to three. If it has ever been suggested, or done, or is just a foolish idea in general.

  • #2
    My first question is, why do YOU want to do a 4 exercise rotation? It's your training. If you feel there are pros to it then go for it.

    If it were me, I'd stick with 3. I want to come back to a movement as soon as possible to keep working on progressing at it and if there is a 4th then that impedes my progression. At least in the short term.

    True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
    *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
    •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
    *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

    Comment


    • #3
      I've found this to be a good train of thought: If there was a benefit to doing that, or if it was a more productive way, that's what Dante would tell us to do.
      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
      kind of a douche

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Collabera View Post
        My first question is, why do YOU want to do a 4 exercise rotation? It's your training. If you feel there are pros to it then go for it.

        If it were me, I'd stick with 3. I want to come back to a movement as soon as possible to keep working on progressing at it and if there is a 4th then that impedes my progression. At least in the short term.
        I feel the same way about wanting to come back to it ASAP, but I have 4 lifts for most that I like. And rather then saving one for when I stall out, and not including it at all... I was just looking for input. Thank you

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Sammich View Post
          I've found this to be a good train of thought: If there was a benefit to doing that, or if it was a more productive way, that's what Dante would tell us to do.
          Agreed. I was just looking for input and advice. Thank you

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Superman55 View Post
            I feel the same way about wanting to come back to it ASAP, but I have 4 lifts for most that I like. And rather then saving one for when I stall out, and not including it at all... I was just looking for input. Thank you
            I know this feeling. I will have my 3 lifts and then get an idea for a new one when I stall out on one and get excited and want to throw it in really soon. But to get the most of DC I think patients is big.

            I like was Sammich said. Dante would have thought of it.

            I feel like there would be too much time between move A and move A. Not only are we focusing on hitting the muscles with higher frequency, but doing the same movements with high frequency as well so that you progress on it faster. And part of that is a neurological adaptation to the movement. If you're not doing move A often enough, you won't get that.

            What 4 movements were you thinking of rotating?

            True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
            *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
            •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
            *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Collabera View Post
              I know this feeling. I will have my 3 lifts and then get an idea for a new one when I stall out on one and get excited and want to throw it in really soon. But to get the most of DC I think patients is big.

              I like was Sammich said. Dante would have thought of it.

              I feel like there would be too much time between move A and move A. Not only are we focusing on hitting the muscles with higher frequency, but doing the same movements with high frequency as well so that you progress on it faster. And part of that is a neurological adaptation to the movement. If you're not doing move A often enough, you won't get that.

              What 4 movements were you thinking of rotating?
              For back thickness, I like dumbell rows, bar rows, Tbar, hammer strength, chest supported rows, deadlifts, cleans.

              That's just an example. I do DC at home. And have been doing it for many years now, the correct way and in bastardized ways of all sorts. I was just thinking of getting back to the basics for the hell of it, but didn't want to be stuck to 3 lifts. Like u said, I get excited for a new lift before an old one is stagnant, and I know, that a row is a row just pick a few and kill it till u can't, but for instance.... Power cleans, dead lifts, bar rows, dumbell rows. All hit back thickness differently. Lol. I think too damn much and find too many lifts useful. Oh well, maybe I'll just keep doing variations and not DC to the t.

              Comment


              • #8
                And, if you're ready for it, here's my stupid analytical mind....... If u make chart with the days of the week, calendar, on the 3 way split, 4 days a week as recommended, u hit A1 again on the third Tuesday. Assuming ur training M,T,TH,F. On the 2 way split training 3 days a week, u hit A1 again on the third Monday. Assuming ur training M,W,F. Which is one day sooner. And now, if u do the two way split, 3 days a week, with 4 lifts , u hit A1 again on again on the third Friday... Just 3 days later than the 3 way, and 4 days later on the 2 way, but u can get in 4 lifts per body part on the same frequency. My brain thinks too much, lol.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I get it. My brain functions the same way. I will say for back thickness moves, a 4th would crush me. Especially cleans and deadlifts and barbell rows. I could see myself making progress on 4 chest moves but not back thickness.

                  True Nutrition Discount: SRC745
                  *2006 USAPL Washington State Powerlifting Championships- 1st, 14-16 age-148lb class -2nd Men's Open 148lb class
                  •2x WABDL Worlds Runner Up - Teens 16-17 165lb
                  *Former WABDL Teen 16-17 165lb World Record Bench Holder (Washington state record) of 396.6lbs

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                    I've found this to be a good train of thought: If there was a benefit to doing that, or if it was a more productive way, that's what Dante would tell us to do.
                    damn skippy...if you are doing dc's training.

                    ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
                    Good luck
                    Jimpaul/Newtoketo

                    EAT BIG, LIFT BIG AND GET BIG...SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN

                    USE TRUENUTRITION.COM FOR ALL YOUR
                    SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!
                    TO GET MY DISCOUNT USE Jat338

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yeah. That's 100 %. But after a while of doing a routine and trying other programs and cycles, you eventually develop ur own style, adaptation, and find what works and what doesn't for you. DC is by far the best mass gain routine and overall strength program I've ever done. No denying that or I wouldn't be posting on this board. But like I said, u get ideas and other influences over the years , and u want to keep adding and adapting. I was just wondering if anyone's ever tried it or if it was brought up.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Superman55 View Post
                        Yeah. That's 100 %. But after a while of doing a routine and trying other programs and cycles, you eventually develop ur own style, adaptation, and find what works and what doesn't for you. DC is by far the best mass gain routine and overall strength program I've ever done. No denying that or I wouldn't be posting on this board. But like I said, u get ideas and other influences over the years , and u want to keep adding and adapting. I was just wondering if anyone's ever tried it or if it was brought up.
                        For the most part we only add more weight/reps and food.
                        ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
                        Good luck
                        Jimpaul/Newtoketo

                        EAT BIG, LIFT BIG AND GET BIG...SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN

                        USE TRUENUTRITION.COM FOR ALL YOUR
                        SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!
                        TO GET MY DISCOUNT USE Jat338

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If you are doing DC then stick with the program. I did DC and made my best gains ever. Now that I am post 34 by a number of years and do shift work I just can't handle DC.

                          I do a 4 exercise rotation plus some exercises I do not rotate. Results have been good, I don't get over-trained and haven't been sick for a long time.

                          Basic layout is 3 days a week full body trained each day.

                          Week 1
                          Monday - Heavy Back and Bi's (6-10 rep sets), medium chest and tri's (15 rep sets), light legs (30-50 rep sets)
                          Wed - Heavy legs, light back and chest
                          Fri - Heavy chest and tri, medium back and bi, light legs

                          Week 2 - repeat with different exercises.

                          I am NOT going for dramatic increases. I am going for overall health and fitness. eg one of my hamstring exercises is 30 rep SLDL, no pause, no cheating - weight yesterday was 80kg for 31 - time to go up. My 50rep ass to grass squat is only 30kg and goblet squat 30 repper is 25kg.

                          This is a lot different from my deadlift of 8 x 250kg of 2 years ago but the joints don't hurt and I feel great all the time and not beat up.

                          I don't know your age or goals but for mine the above works. I also find that if I need to miss a session then it makes little to no impact and sometimes actually does me good.
                          SAHD
                          Light-heavyweight Member
                          Last edited by SAHD; 06-11-2015, 08:05 AM.
                          "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
                          Buck Brannaman.

                          "It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
                          'Hanging' Judge PARKER

                          "Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
                          ~William Bernbach

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by SAHD View Post
                            If you are doing DC then stick with the program. I did DC and made my best gains ever. Now that I am post 34 by a number of years and do shift work I just can't handle DC.

                            I do a 4 exercise rotation plus some exercises I do not rotate. Results have been good, I don't get over-trained and haven't been sick for a long time.

                            Basic layout is 3 days a week full body trained each day.

                            Week 1
                            Monday - Heavy Back and Bi's (6-10 rep sets), medium chest and tri's (15 rep sets), light legs (30-50 rep sets)
                            Wed - Heavy legs, light back and chest
                            Fri - Heavy chest and tri, medium back and bi, light legs

                            Week 2 - repeat with different exercises.

                            I am NOT going for dramatic increases. I am going for overall health and fitness. eg one of my hamstring exercises is 30 rep SLDL, no pause, no cheating - weight yesterday was 80kg for 31 - time to go up. My 50rep ass to grass squat is only 30kg and goblet squat 30 repper is 25kg.

                            This is a lot different from my deadlift of 8 x 250kg of 2 years ago but the joints don't hurt and I feel great all the time and not beat up.

                            I don't know your age or goals but for mine the above works. I also find that if I need to miss a session then it makes little to no impact and sometimes actually does me good.
                            I wasn't looking for a program or anything like that. I'm good there. Appreciate the time and effort though. Glad u found something that works for u.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Tbh, a four rotation defeats the purpose of the rotation. Three is a solid number(for advanced guys) to have enough time between attempts at a certain lift to improve it drastically.

                              I could understand maybe a two exercise rotation if you're starting too early, but four would lead to minimal progress on the lifts you choose over say a 16 week blast.

                              Like, if your three movements were bench, hammer incline, some other machine chest press. If add 10 pounds every time it comes around, you're looking at possibly a 30 pound increment to a lift during a short blast. When we add a fourth exercise, the progress on each individual lift skyrockets down.

                              Don't forget, DC isn't magic because it exists. It's magic because of progressive overload.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X