DC training while recovering from adrenal fatigue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC training while recovering from adrenal fatigue

I had my best physique while training DC years ago. Last year I was diagnosed with stage 3 adrenal fatigue. I'm working with a great Naturopath doctor who is helping my recovery but I still have a long way to go. My question - is it inadvisable to train DC while recovering from adrenal fatigue? It was my fav program so I'm wondering if I could make it work by doing really high reps or some other adjustment. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Adrenal fatigue is not well understood, or even proven. But because of the symptoms you are Most likely experiencing (fatigue, aches, trouble focusing) I would say DC is not something you should be doing. If it is a bonafide case of adrenal fatique, it most certainly will become worst under DC, HIT, or any type training where you are "beating the log book".

Comment

Originally posted by Glock19 View Post
      Adrenal fatigue is not well understood, or even proven. But because of the symptoms you are Most likely experiencing (fatigue, aches, trouble focusing) I would say DC is not something you should be doing. If it is a bonafide case of adrenal fatique, it most certainly will become worst under DC, HIT, or any type training where you are "beating the log book".
      Thanks Glock, sounds like I have to stay away from hitting failure on sets. It's tough figuring out what to do. A couple years ago before being diagnosed I'd hit a wall, spent a couple months in bed and now have about 25 pounds of extra fat that is also making me tired to lug around. So it's a bit of a catch 22. Seems like my body is too tired to get in shape but also tired from not being in shape.

Comment

Have you looked into poliquins 5% solution program? May be a good set up for you now before you get back into DC.
        SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

I agree with Glock19. I'm not sure what you're doing currently in terms of exercise, but I'd start by building very gradually on that. I can only imagine what an ordeal this has been. The last thing you want to do is to regress.

Whatever you do, I'd make the primary focus on finding what you can recover from now. If it's only walking, walk.

I've gone thru a couple periods where my goal was to leave the gym feeling moreso energized from the exercise than beaten down. This was very different from how I approached training for years...which is most likely why I was so run down. I had no plan aside from paying attention to how I felt and leaving before I blew my wad. Kind of like tantric sex.
          2014 Greater Gulf States 2nd WPD Class B
          2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW
          2009 Houston Pro/Am 1st LHW & Overall (Am)
          2008 Jr. Nationals 5th LHW
          2007 Greater Gulf States 1st LHW
          2007 LA Championships 1st LHW & Overall

Comment

Thanks LG1, I'm reading up on the poliquin program right now.

Phoenix13, last year I started initially with really short workouts - 4 subfailure work sets per workout, 3x week. In recent months I started feeling better and got into an Eric Cressey program that is about an hour, 3x week, full body but I think I am starting to dig myself a hole again and feeling beaten down when leaving the gym. I like your suggestion about when to leave the gym! Also, perhaps as you suggest I need to work on a instinctive approach which is kind of scary for someone like myself who likes to log all my workouts. Did you find you made better progress going more instinctively?

Comment

When I've been forced to train instinctively, my definition of progress had to shift to having good energy consistently. I wasn't concerned with size/strength. I should say, I still cared, but it couldn't be the focus. I have been able to eventually go back to progressive, logbook style training...and that works fine while I am rebuilding. I no longer train to failure, which eventually causes a stalemate when back at old PR weights.

This may not be your fate, but I've learned to make peace with periods of harder, progressive training, and periods of recharge, just be healthy training.
              2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

What I like about the program I suggested is the flexibility. 4-5 sets of 3-8 reps. Not going to failure. Having a solid amount of rest in between sets. Forces you to keep a log as you will always be progressing in reps and weight. And really needing to hit the specific rep in the first set of an exercise. Check out my journal. I bastardized it some after running it as presented. I started in the lowest rep range 3-5 and have slowly been shifting to the highest rep range 6-8.

Comment

LG1, that's very interesting. I'll check out your journal. Have you been able to hit PR's in that system w/o training to failure? Specifically PR's on exercises that have been in your rotation a very long time. I can change exercises and hit PR's for a while, but eventually, I'm always pushing up against a general "PR baseline" in strength and there's nowhere to go but failure.
                  2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
                    LG1, that's very interesting. I'll check out your journal. Have you been able to hit PR's in that system w/o training to failure? Specifically PR's on exercises that have been in your rotation a very long time. I can change exercises and hit PR's for a while, but eventually, I'm always pushing up against a general "PR baseline" in strength and there's nowhere to go but failure.

I have been hitting rep PRs throughout. Imo this is a very well thought out system. Easy to set up and follow. And depending on the gym/time one trains can be done super set fashion in a short period of time.

Comment

Phoenix13 you've given me a good way to look at the situation. I'm going to keep the workouts really minimal til I'm 100% better. Relapses seem to sneak up on a person so I'll be careful.

LG1, I'm liking the concept of making progress on a system that doesn't require going to failure. I'll give it a shot!

Comment

Originally posted by calamari88 View Post
                        LG1, I'm liking the concept of making progress on a system that doesn't require going to failure. I'll give it a shot!

Good luck! Have you looked into any supps to help with adrenal fatigue?

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
                          Good luck! Have you looked into any supps to help with adrenal fatigue?
                          Thanks for the good wishes. Yes, my doctor has me on many, many supplements based on hair mineral analysis which showed which vitamins and minerals were out of balance and contributing to my condition. It's been about 10 months and I'm definitely recovering. I just have to be careful and not overexert myself and relapse.

Comment

If you're like me, the challenge is keeping enthusiasm/drive for training in check, especially when feeling good. It's kind of like riding a wave. I had to become more mindful of energy management.

I hope all falls into balance for you.
                            2010 Jr. USA 2nd LHW

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix13 View Post
                              If you're like me, the challenge is keeping enthusiasm/drive for training in check, especially when feeling good. It's kind of like riding a wave. I had to become more mindful of energy management.

I hope all falls into balance for you.
                              Thanks, I'll get there! Yes, holding back is super tough but gotta do what's best for long term health.

Comment

Working...
                              X