• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Words of advice from the Doggfather

This is an ongoing post from Dante via Facebook:

Part 1:
    I'm done with it.
    Ive seen the body counts pile up over the last few years of bodybuilders in their 30's and 40's dying
    Off the top of my head
    Nasser El Sonbary
    Frank Hildebrand
    Ed Van Amsterdam
    Matt Duvall
    Luke Wood
    Greg Kovacs
    Greg Deferro
    Stoili Stoilev
    Art Atwood
    Derek Anthony
    Ed Kawak
    Daneile Seccarricci
    Anthony D'arezzo
    Shawn Robinson
    Mike Mattarrazzo
    and now Joe Deangelis
    The ages? 33 I believe with most of them being 37-48 and the oldest I believe was 53. And thats off the top of my head. Most of them died from heart problems or kidney problems (<---which in alot of the cases ended up being a catalyst to the end result heart failure)
    Im naming the guys up above without naming the multitude of bodybuilders who are currently in kidney failure of have had stroke/heart problems and are still living (David Dearth, Brad Hollibaugh, PD Devers and a bunch of others come to mind)....on top of that two large bodybuilders had heart attacks in my gym the last year but are still living (late 40's-early 50's). On top of that a bodybuilder in my gym who was 42 died of kidney failure last month (Ill leave his last name out right now for his families sake but alot of my local friends do not know this person died because he had recently switched gyms in Vista to Oceanside but trust me (local friends), you do know him or know of him....I know that....he was a well liked individual and its truly sad).
    So Im done with it. Im going to outline step by step of how you take your health into your own hands.....because its painfully obvious to me that the majority of this sport have no freaking idea of how to monitor your own health, your blood pressure, your bloodwork, and what steps and supplements you need to use to regulate yourself so your not dropping dead in your driveway playing with your 3 year old son or daughter. Its going to take me a couple weeks to put this all together. I got alot to cover. These are going to be long posts. If you dont like long posts or dont give a crap about your health, skip my posts. But im tired of seeing people die and Im going to do something about it. Im going to go thru A to Z here over the next few weeks so bear with me....its alot ot type up and my time is fleeting but im going to get it done.
    First up....2 must buys
    There is no discussion. If you want to monitor your health you must buy both of the following.
    Buy this. (courtesy of Mike Weitzman )
    1)
    I put the link in here but FACEBOOK is not letting me post this unless I take out the link. So you need to go to Amazon and buy the LIfesource Blood Pressure monitor with the extra large cuff.
    Most of you guys are bodybuilders and the regular cuff isnt going to fit you. It will give you skewered results if you use the regular cuff with over 17.5-18 inch arms. If you are a smaller bber get the one with the regular cuff, but if you got 17.5 and onward plus pipes (which I know a great deal of you do) you have to get the extra large cuff to get the most accurate reading. Im going to go thru this in detail and tell you what you need to do when the readings are off but right now i need you to buy that.
    First up, get a baseline....upon arising from bed take your blood pressure every day for 2 weeks in a row and get the gist of what is happening and what the numbers are at.
    2)
    go to directlabs.com and order up 2 tests that you can use anytime over the next year
    The first one is under male health labs and its the anti-aging test and yes its expensive 299 dollars but im going to give you a 20% off coupon that will make it 239 dollars. Is your health worth 239 dollars to you? It should be because i see alot of you guys spend money on certain "things" with no regard for expense so 239 dollars for the knowledge and peace of mind that you arent screwing yourself up longterm should be nothing. So i would like people to buy the anti-aging test (2nd one down) https://www.directlabs.com/Default.aspx… and also the comprehensive wellness profile (first one) https://www.directlabs.com/…/26…/lan...S/Default.aspx which is 97 dollars but with coupon will be about 78 bucks. You do the anti aging test once a year and then you do the comprehensive wellness profile once a year (6 months later or so) to make sure you are still on the correct path. The anti-aging test is highly detailed and will have everything you want to know as a bodybuilder. The CWP test is basically a "healthy bloodwork" test but you can add a few tests to it to see if you are off still from anything awry from the anti aging test. (Dont worry im just getting thru the basics here...im going to go thru everything in detail over the next few weeks)
    (sidenote: you could also use discountedlabs but when all is said and done and using the coupon codes i think youll be around the same price http://www.discountedlabs.com/choose-your-test/ )
    What happens with this is you dont already know........you will go (fasted) to a local drawing lab near your zip code (for most people probably within 5-10 miles of you) and they take couple minutes, draw your blood, you go home and your bloodwork results end up in your email in 2-3 days. Yes it is that easy and that quick. And the blueprint that its going to give you to your own bodies chemistry is going to be invaluable.
    This weekend for the next 4 days there is a coupon code (its ' USA ' ) which you can use for 20% off
    Thirdly what I would like everyone to do is to take your body temperature 3 days in a row upon arising and get the median temperature. If you are below 97.6 there is a good chance you are running a little hypothyroid and your endeavors to lose bodyfat are going to be for naught. Especially for women....I could not even tell you how many women over the years ran tremendously low body temperatures and their "inability to lose bodyfat" had 100% to do with that (and the resulting subpar thyroid blood workup) than cutting more carbs and doing more cardio. Half a grain of armour thyroid later....walla....but i digress and ill get into that later.
    We could go into cardiac calcium scores and echocardiograms but lets get down to brass tacks and maybe get into that later (specially with echocardiograms where someone like Justin Harris commenting would be invaluable information)
    Thats the start of it and im going to hit on this every single chance i have over the next few weeks until i get the urgency of this pounded into as many peoples heads as possible. You have to put as much priority and thought process into your health and longevity as you spend timewise thinking about putting on your next 5lbs of muscle muscle mass)......And if you dont believe that and have been walking around with 170/110 blood pressure for a few years with that all too common "I look good so I must be healthy" - out of sight out of mind" mentality....(most of those guys in that list above were freaking specimens on the outside and 95 year old men on the inside) .....for example take a few minutes and research dialysis and see what it all entails. Take a look and see if you would enjoy being hooked up to a dialysis machine Monday Wednesday and Friday for 6 plus hours at a time. I will continue on with this as much time as i can give over the next 14 days or so....because ive just gotten sick of seeing the RIP threads that seems to be happening way too much way too often. A system of "YOU MUST DO THIS IF THIS IS HAPPENING WITH YOUR BLOODWORK/BLOOD PRESSURE/SIDE EFFECTS!" needs to be put into place in the bbing community and hell for that matter anyone reading this. I dont have all the answers but I do have alot of them and I have fixed too many bbers bloodwork I couldnt even begin to count. If you take one thing from what im about to write over the next few weeks i hope its "Ok enough im getting on top of this stuff!"
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

Part 2:

Health Part 2:
    Before I get more into everything here...I want to present my own personal thoughts on something. There are hundreds of thousands of natural bodybuilders. There are hundreds of thousands of "enhanced" bodybuilders. I made my bones "so to say" in the sport by talking about things that werent openly talked about back in the 90's when I came out with the Hardcore Muscle Newsletter. I dont want to count the hours (YEARS!) I have spent researching libraries (pre-internet), pubmed, assays, various theories, various studies etc etc etc. Ive researched training, diets, foods, compounds, supplements, and drugs as it pertains to this genre. Now over the next few weeks im going to talk about things that arent so politically correct in certain circles. Why am i saying this? Because I have people reading my facebook page that are in the sport (and they already know the deal) and people who are on the fringe and outside of the sport (family/friends) who arent going to understand why Im talking about certain taboo subjects. Ill tell you why. ITS REALITY!
    I had this conversation with my parents back in the 90's when they asked me why I discussed steroids and growth hormone and drugs in my newsletter along with training, diet, food, supplements. And my reasoning to them then is the same reasoning now. I am not condoning anything but for gods sake, above all else do not bullshit anyone. Dont walk around the controversy. It is what it is. Talk about the reality of things because the reality of things is people are using steroids and drugs and the majority of society is applauding them and idolizing them. My father was a huge N.E. Patriots fan as I am.....the conversation went like this back then in the 90's : "Dad if you really think the same people you are applauding and cheering for every sunday in the NFL, if you really think the various sports events you watch, if you really think the highest grossing movies and action hero's at that time (Rocky movies, Terminator movies, Bloodsport etc etc etc) are not part of this reality.....then i dont know what to tell you dad!""But i will tell you, if someone wants to lose the respect of everyone real quick? Pretend its not there....because the truth of the matter like it or not it is there!".....My parents got my points after the whole Major League Baseball debacle (I had certain members of MLB contacting me back in the early 90's during my newsletter reign telling me what they were doing ergo wise...so i already knew that whole deal)....the whole NFL debacle, Bonds, Sosa, Armstrong etc etc etc you all get it. And my parents I believe finally did to....REALITY.
    So fast forward to today....every bodybuilder (natural or enhanced) reading this right now knows the deal but the layperson family or friends reading it who arent understanding why IM talking about certain things...let me go with the same vein of thought modernized...... "If you really think that you are watching a movie starring the Rock Dwayne Johnson, If you really think you are watching certain actors in the most popular movies out there like Xmen movies and Avenger movies, If you really think these cult TV shows like "Jersey Shore", certain motorcycle building shows in the past, and other incredibly popular modern media heros or sports celebrities arent part of this reality....I dont know what to tell you"..........its as simple as that.
    Now to this point Im going to tell you where the huge problem comes from. The internet. Prior to 1996-2000 the number of bodybuilders who were dying young were few and far between. Very rare and very unheard of. Then the net starts getting widespread around 1997....Prior to these years bodybuilders by and large used moderate to respectable dosages of bodybuilding drugs. And for the most part, if you are respectful in your usage of these bodybuilding drugs, you will be as healthy (if not healthier) than you would normally. Now let me quickly explain the (if not healthier part). I dont care what it is about the endocrine/hormonal system it is, if you are deficient or overproduce...you will create a situation that will cause you to expire many years before your proper time. If you have diabetes and refuse to take insulin or various derivatives....you are going to die (probably quick). If you have extreme hypothyroidism or extreme hyperthyroidism (severely underactive or overactive thyroid) the consequences of all those side effects over time without solving that problem are going to end your life much sooner than you expect. Testosterone, its reaches its peak around the mid 20's (SURPRISE! Also your healthiest years as a person!) and for every year after that it ebbs. So take a modern physically active person. From the age of 20-40 their physique looks pretty much the same doesnt it? What happens from age 40 to 60? Their endogenous testosterone goes way way down and they turn into an old man before your eyes. Estradiol goes up, testosterone goes down and you will see someone disintegrate visually from the outside and physically from the inside from the age of 40 onward. I could spend the next 48 hours listing study after study proving how important it is to have lower estradiol 21-37 ish, and healthy testosterone levels plus 550ng ish including studies showing thousands of men studied with the ones with the lowest testosterone levels dying so much sooner than their "healthy testosterone level" counterparts it would scare the hell out of you. But Ill get offbase of what my point is.... so if inclined...look thru the various literature and footnotes at the bottom of pages and research it all yourself. It is of my opinion that keeping your testosterone levels and estradiol levels a semblance of what they were in your 20's while you age....is among the most important things you can do for your longterm health.
    http://www.lifeextension.com/…/Why-E...#8230;/Page-01
    http://www.lifeextension.com/…/Dange...#8230;/Page-01
    http://www.lifeextension.com/…/testo...#8230;/page-01
    http://www.lifeextension.com/…/start...#8230;/page-01
    http://www.lifeextension.com/…/Male-...#8230;/Page-01
    Back to my point. Prior to the internet age hardly anyone in the bodybuilding community was dropping dead in their 30-40's. Then along comes the internet, access to bodybuilding drugs goes sky high...click of a button and people are ordering up. The prices of these drugs go unbelievable low. And in the old days alot of the people drawn to bodybuilding were athletes, yea there was some insecurities to be overcome mixed in there but by and large a majority of the people drawn to the sport looked at it as a personal challenge...you against the weights...an athletic endeavor/willpower/fortitude (not everyone obviously but a great many). Fast forward to the last 20 years and with society so focused on the visual (Instagram...the "enough about me, lets talk a little bit more about myself" society), the constant barrage of Jersey Shore, Wrestling, Action Movie Hero's visuals, etc etc etc.... a bunch of terribly insecure junkies trying to solve their insecurities by next Tuesday have entered into the sport. Add that up with widespread access to bodybuilding drugs, the astronomical low prices and you have the recipe for "bodybuilding drug abuse!"....and thats what has happened and what we have seen is just the tip of the iceberg of the people that are going to be dropping over the next few years. I thought personally the Derek Anthony dying at 33 years old was going to be a big wakeup call for a large majority of the sport....INSTEAD ITS GOTTEN EVEN WORSE because social media has allowed a bunch of uneducated idiots to be heard (and they are the exact "junky" mentality Ive been talking about who dont realize that what you do today doesnt end your life 30 days from now but DOES end it 12-15 years from now). If Science Daily came out with a latest study that showed 2 aspirin a day over 4 years time can increase a womans breast size, within one month there would be thousands of insecure "junky-like" women dead from overdosing on 50-100 aspirin in a days time. That in a nutshell is what has happened.
    So thats why I felt the need to explain this above. Its a reality that is ending peoples lives prematurely that needs to be talked about. (continued)
    Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
    kind of a douche

Comment

agreed. I have begun keeping a close eye on bloodwork (at least twice per year) and blood pressure (checked once per week, now). I'd like to live more than 10 more years.
      My intro thread: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=49855

Comment

Thanks for posting these here! I'm eager to hear his thoughts.

Comment

Thank you Dante for trying to save people's lives!! Glad Sammich is helping to spread the good words of Dante!
          ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
          Good luck
          Jimpaul/Newtoketo

EAT BIG, LIFT BIG AND GET BIG...SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN

USE TRUENUTRITION.COM FOR ALL YOUR
          SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!
          TO GET MY DISCOUNT USE Jat338

Comment

After talking with Dante about some things i can do to optimize my health, I added in some supps to improve my cadiovascular system. My blood pressure has improved to 104/56 and I straight dominated my exercise stress test and VO2 max was off the charts and my heart rate and blood pressure returned to normal within 3 minutes of completing the test.

The things Dante is speaking about should be taken seriously... especially if one is using PEDs
            Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
            2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
            2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

As usual great info.

If only GP's and endo's would be more up on the times that would be great.

They always say "well you are in range "

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              [http://www.truenutrition.com

-discount code: ADA774-

Buy the highest quality protein and other supplements at the lowest prices.
              Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

Hmmm...so is there any hope for a 42 year old novice lifter to get big? Like 280lbs 12% bf big; when he's currently 225 at 20%? The choice seems to be either work on lifting, eating and growing...or watch your health. I'm just wondering if there's a way for me to do both. Great article by the way. I don't know if I want to get the lab tests or not. I might not like what I see...then there goes my life's dream. Nah....I have faith. I'll order it and find that middle ground.

Comment

Great post, eager to see what else he has to say about all this.

Comment

Great Post!

Comment

Great to see someone caring about his fellow man, keep up the great work

Comment

Thanks Dante!

Comment

Any more info?

Comment

Tons of useful information and insight in this.. Much appreciated!

BERSERKER

Comment

Thanks, great post!

Comment

Working...
                              X