Weak Glutes caused my injury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weak Glutes caused my injury

To be honest, I broke my ankle 25 years ago and was never given PT to regain flexibility. Over the years, not having the flexibility in my ankle caused my left glute to stop working properly and my inner thigh to take over. This caused my thigh to rotate inward while my lower leg tried to remain in line. Over the years, I've had some knee issues and complained to a few doctors that my knee was not tracking properly. I tore my meniscus earlier this year and had PRP done which completely healed the tear. I was still having pain in the knee when I got close to parallel on squats and went back to the doctor who did the PRP. The doctor agreed that my knee was not tracking properly but my knee joint itself was in great shape. She referred me to a Chiro who does the Graston technique.

2 weeks later, I had my first visit with the new Chiro. Within 10 minutes he knew what my problem was. laying on my side with my right leg in the air, he could almost hang on it and not move it. Switch to the other side, raise my left leg in the air and he used 2 fingers to push my leg to the table and there was nothing I could do to stop him. He performed the Graston on my left glute and after about a 10 minute session of which the first 5 minutes were pure HELL, I was able to pass the leg drop test. Since then, I have had about 6 sessions of this Graston done and I can tell a huge difference already. The doctor is slowly working his way around and hitting all the trouble spots and the actually origin of the trouble spots.

I've been in the medical field for over 20 years and I am still amazed at what the human body can do, endure and compensate for. I will continue to have the Graston done until I feel it is no longer beneficial, but I plan on having deep tissue massage/ART work done as well.

If you are doing any sort of training, especially something like DC, you really need to be sure you are having some tissue work done to help with recovery, flexibility and to prevent injury.

You can find some info on the Graston at http://www.grastontechnique.com/
    Hope this helps some people who are having issues too.
    Its not the size of the hammer, its the size of the man holding the hammer.

TG, I'm TOTALLY with you on the deep tissue/flex work! It makes all the difference in the world...especially for us older fellas.

One option to consider for the tight budget, since I know Graston sessions can add up quickly, is to foam roll that junk. I bought a 3-foot length of PVC and covered it with a yoga mat. I warm up on it then remove the yoga mat and continue with deeper/heavier pressure.

Glad to hear the Graston is getting you back to full function! :rockon:
    Unless a man undertakes more than he can possibly do, he will never do all he can.

Unfathomable progress is the result of consistent, daily steps toward a single goal

Comment

I've been using the foam/rumble roller and PVC pipe for while. The Graston really targets the area and breaks up the scar tissue and adhesions. Not sure how other Chiros charge, but mine excepts my insurance for the office visit and adjustment and then I pay $25 for the Graston. And if you have a Flex Spending account, that will also cover any portion not covered by insurance. Just an FYI
      Its not the size of the hammer, its the size of the man holding the hammer.

Comment

Working...
      X