Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You want to look like you're made of concrete at your next show? Secret is inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You want to look like you're made of concrete at your next show? Secret is inside

I put this post up on my FB and then followed up with the second portion. I decided that this is a good place to add this post and I also believe it sparkes some good conversation/debate. If you have any questions or even disagree feel free to comment.

You want freaky dense muscle? You want a physique that looks like it was carved from stone? Then stop training like a pussy. I asked both of my mentors how I should train...here are their answers.

Dante Trudel: Move heavy slag iron! Make sure your poundages are progressing and move heavy ass weight.

Chris Aceto: The best way to train is fucking hard.

As you can see they both answered pretty much the same so that's what I've been doing and although nobody will claim my physique is pretty it is getting more nasty by the day.

DH~8

My Follow up post when of course someone brought up form yada yada yada

The correct term is intensity and from experience many athletes that train for form and squeeze as well as those who train for weight do not train with intensity. I train as if every set is my last opportunity to grow. Example last night's back workout. It's not that I got 765 for 12 on rack deads. It's that at the seventh rep I wanted to get to 9 and at the 9th I knew I could get 10 but at the 10th I felt I could get 11 and after the 11th I said **** it let's attempt 12 and after squeezing out 12 I knew my form would put me in danger going for 13 so I stopped...dropped to 675 and did another set for 18. That's what I mean by not training like a pussy. During the set I knew I had more and kept going. Mentally I knew what I was physically capable of.

Dante's response to the post:

Lets do it this way..... lets limit it. Lets make it really simple. A rich eccentric billionaire approaches every guy reading this thread and says.... Ill give you a million dollars if you build traps one inch higher than they are right now. And I will give you another Million dollars if you build quads one inch bigger than they are right now. You can use 2 exercises...for traps you can use rack deadlifts, for quads you can use squats thats it. You currently use 275 x 12 on rack deadlifts
    You currently use 250 x 12 on deep squats.
    GO!
    The day you are doing 600 pounds for 20 reps on rack deadlifts and
    the day you are doing 500 pounds for 20 deep reps on squats will be many days AFTER YOU HAVE ALREADY collected your 2 million dollars.

Quickest way to NOT collect the 2 million dollars? Doing drop sets with 275 pound rack deadlifts (that youve ,already done 50 times previously) doing super slow training with 275lb rack deadlifts,
    (ditto)and doing drop sets with 250 pound squats, (ditto)doing super slow training with 250 pound squats.
    (ditto) Everyone wants to find the easier way.....
    Alot of people like to drug their way to gains and then will tell anyone within 1000 miles of them about their training when it was really the 2 grams of test and 100mg of tren a day they have been abusing.
    Want to change your body with training? Then you actually have to give a reason for an adaption to take place=progressively heavier and heavier loads whether thats 6 reps or 20 reps (people for some reason think heavy means triples)
    Want to fix that creaky injured shoulder you have? Well a light massage isnt going to do it-the easy route. Deep ART that makes your eyes water, and has you wincing, gritting your teeth will (the hard route). Want to change your physique? The majority will take the easy road of comfortable lifting and mega drugging (which comes back to hit them in the ass 12-20 years later). The smart ones will be respectfull to their health and force their body to change with doing something their body hasnt done before (heavier and heavier progressive weights in safe rep ranges)

I know many of you will disagree but I have talked at length with both Dante and Chris about what heavy slag training does to a physique and both have told me looking at a lot of promising bodybuilders that what holds them back from having that "freak factor" is how they train. I know a lot of you are probably tempted to try a hundred different routines but I can tell you that NOTHING beats progressive training when it comes to adding size and density. So when you see a nasty physique or muscle that looks like it has details in its details then I promise you that you are looking at a physique that was forged in the trenches blasting away at the weights, at the table, and being mindful of rest.

DH
    Attached Files
    TRUE PROTEIN SPONSORED ATHLETE

Proud to be an IForce Nutrition Sponsored Athlete

Become a Fan on facebook to follow my progress http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/dustyhanshaw?ref=ts

www.dustyhanshaw.com

I have no disagreement as I come from the same school of though (my school is smaller, like a hundred pounds smaller)...

People tend to over complicate adding size. It's all about continually overloading the muscle. It is about grinding away day in and day out. It is about consistency. It is about pushing your body further when you really want to just crawl under a rock.

Excellent post... Will we perhaps see more of you Dusty?
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Glad to see you posting on here! Once again congrats and look forward to your future endeavors.
      "Only God can Judge me." -Tupac

My Journal- http://www.intensemuscle.com/38062-eye-tiger.html

Comment

First, I just want to say that it is great to see you back around these parts. You are always welcome here so feel free to hang out a bit.

I will not even attempt to argue the points you make as they are very good points and clearly they have contributed quite a bit to you being as successful as you have been in the sport (and likely will continue to be).

Personally, and this is just me, I still want to put more emphasis on training hard and intense ahead of training heavy. It is not that I think training light is more effective than training heavy but ... I think a lot of people make the mistake of training TOO heavy and they end up not being able to train as intensely as they could if they backed off just slightly. Example: Doing heavy chins where you can only perform the bottom 1/2 of the movement is not the best way to chin for the best growth. Clearly, I don't mean to say that you think this way is best, either. What I am saying is that I have seen you train and you balance heavy with intense with controlled movements. I take no issue with how you train and I think the way you train is intense and heavy. I just think that when people hear that they need to train heavy, they tend to focus more on the weight than control and intensity.

Another example is I personally think that it is harder to train higher reps on deads and legs than to train heavier in the 6 or 8 rep range. You pull higher reps for deads so I would imagine you would agree - that shit gets BRUTAL and in my opinion is far harder than pulling heavier for 3s or 5s, etc..

I get your message but I wonder if some people with less experience will not be as clear. What say you?

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
        Instagram: @intensemuscle
        YouTube: TEAMSKIP
        TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

loved the clarification between heavier weight and training intensely; i think it will help people a lot.

Comment

Great post Dusty. Since I'm a little older, I have adjusted my rep range just for safety sake, but it's still "heavy" and progressive. I still believe that DC is the best program I have used in my 20+ years of training.
            Its not the size of the hammer, its the size of the man holding the hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
              First, I just want to say that it is great to see you back around these parts. You are always welcome here so feel free to hang out a bit.

I will not even attempt to argue the points you make as they are very good points and clearly they have contributed quite a bit to you being as successful as you have been in the sport (and likely will continue to be).

Personally, and this is just me, I still want to put more emphasis on training hard and intense ahead of training heavy. It is not that I think training light is more effective than training heavy but ... I think a lot of people make the mistake of training TOO heavy and they end up not being able to train as intensely as they could if they backed off just slightly. Example: Doing heavy chins where you can only perform the bottom 1/2 of the movement is not the best way to chin for the best growth. Clearly, I don't mean to say that you think this way is best, either. What I am saying is that I have seen you train and you balance heavy with intense with controlled movements. I take no issue with how you train and I think the way you train is intense and heavy. I just think that when people hear that they need to train heavy, they tend to focus more on the weight than control and intensity.

Another example is I personally think that it is harder to train higher reps on deads and legs than to train heavier in the 6 or 8 rep range. You pull higher reps for deads so I would imagine you would agree - that shit gets BRUTAL and in my opinion is far harder than pulling heavier for 3s or 5s, etc..

I get your message but I wonder if some people with less experience will not be as clear. What say you?

Skip
              Skip, I didn't take Dusty's post to mean "go heavy" I took it to mean, "Train progressively heavier." If you keep upping the weight, given you are using the right rep ranges and exercises for your physique, your body has to adapt and grow to handle the load.

I may be small, but every judge has told me that I have one of the hardest graniest physiques at the show. I definitely think that comes from training progressively.

Along the lines of what you are saying about going too heavy, one of my gym friends trains heavy, but he swings the weights and uses momentum to do just about everything. Yes, he goes heavy, but he doesn't grow. He has a gut and no definition showing through. Looking at him train, you can tell he doesn't feel the contraction or understand how to really activate the muscles he is training. He just slings weight...

I think it comes down to training hard and progressively heavier, and feeling the contraction
              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
              2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I think exactly what you said is what skips saying. But from someone who not experienced may misinterpret the message that dusty is trying to deliver.

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                Skip, I didn't take Dusty's post to mean "go heavy" I took it to mean, "Train progressively heavier." If you keep upping the weight, given you are using the right rep ranges and exercises for your physique, your body has to adapt and grow to handle the load.

I may be small, but every judge has told me that I have one of the hardest graniest physiques at the show. I definitely think that comes from training progressively.

Along the lines of what you are saying about going too heavy, one of my gym friends trains heavy, but he swings the weights and uses momentum to do just about everything. Yes, he goes heavy, but he doesn't grow. He has a gut and no definition showing through. Looking at him train, you can tell he doesn't feel the contraction or understand how to really activate the muscles he is training. He just slings weight...

I think it comes down to training hard and progressively heavier, and feeling the contraction

Comment

Good post! Just want to point out that i've heard people talking about Dusty's "wide waist" since i have been reading bb boards. If his waist is wide then his back must be the size of a billboard! I need to go do more rack deads.
                  6/22/13 - 2013 NPC VICTORY CLASSIC
                  1st - Novice Men's Lightheavy & Novice overall

Comment

Love seeing my favorite if bb PRO round again
                    I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
                    I too like to live dangerously

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                      I have no disagreement as I come from the same school of though (my school is smaller, like a hundred pounds smaller)...

People tend to over complicate adding size. It's all about continually overloading the muscle. It is about grinding away day in and day out. It is about consistency. It is about pushing your body further when you really want to just crawl under a rock.

Excellent post... Will we perhaps see more of you Dusty?
                      I will be here for sure. This is one of the very few forums that people seem to understand that this sport is not a science experiment and you will not get ahead counting doses if you're not counting meals, training, and sleep first.

Originally posted by jwtiger69 View Post
                      Glad to see you posting on here! Once again congrats and look forward to your future endeavors.
                      Thanks! I'm back at the bottom of the hill now as a tiny fish in the ocean but I have no intention of keeping it that way.

Skip
                      I completely agree with you Skip! In fact I have to pay special attention to how I train each body part because I have found that I train some muscles different than others. For example my tris grow from nasty heavy ass weight. I'm talking skull crushers with 225lbs, Reverse Grip with 405lbs, etc...where as my biceps I train heavy but I need to REALLY FOCUS on keeping my shoulders out of the movement. I still train progressive but it is a lot less weight than I was moving back in the day when I didn't fully absorb Dante's advice on the importance of not just moving the weight but also making sure the correct muscles were moving it.
                      TRUE PROTEIN SPONSORED ATHLETE

Proud to be an IForce Nutrition Sponsored Athlete

Become a Fan on facebook to follow my progress http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/dustyhanshaw?ref=ts

www.dustyhanshaw.com

Comment

This is why I like this site compared to many others out there. Great information always provided along with a good group of folks chiming in! This site along with the principles I learned form DC Training have brought me along way in my development. Although I haven't visited this site as much lately (School/Homework/Life keeps me busy) I still try to poke my head in here as often as I can. Dusty, you know I respect not only your work ethic but your drive and never quit attitude Keep It up! Skip, Thanks always putting your perspective on things at times. This is how we learn and get better folks! Keep it up guys!

Max
                        Last edited by v1hyp; 12-04-2014, 09:44 PM.
                        "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
                        2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
                        2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
                        2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
                        2002 NPC Western Carolina:
                        2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Comment

225 for skull crushers. Holy God. lol Both of my triceps tendons started to ache as I was reading that.

I appreciate that you got the point of my post because I completely agree with you but just think that some people misinterpret what "train heavy" means sometimes so thanks for clarifying that.

Skip

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

225 for skull crushers. Holy God. lol Both of my triceps tendons started to ache as I was reading that.

I appreciate that you got the point of my post because I completely agree with you but just think that some people misinterpret what "train heavy" means sometimes so thanks for clarifying that.

Skip
                            Funny you mentioned this because I was listening to the PED show with John Meadows yesterday and you guys were talking about training

Comment

Originally posted by RobbHensel View Post
                              Funny you mentioned this because I was listening to the PED show with John Meadows yesterday and you guys were talking about training

Skip

Comment

Working...
                              X