Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MyTMouse DC adventure. Opinions welcome.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MyTMouse DC adventure. Opinions welcome.

I want to keep this as a "for me" thread (as in, a way for me to look back on the journey along with commentary from others), mostly. But, I thought that posting it here (rather than in a Word document) would allow for feedback for a newbie like me, and possibly help others.

Please, critique FREELY! I'm not fragile spirited.

(Those interested in reading more info about me, can check out my intro thread in my signature, I can't post links in threads, yet.)

Though, I will make my final decisions for myself, I would much rather have someone be honest and give me a good critique, rather than not make the best progress I can be making.

My goal is a reasonably lean (8-10%bf) ~230lbs. At 5'10", I think that is a good goal for me, and a fairly healthy weight. To get there, I figure on reaching 250-260lbs, and staying there a while. Then slowly cutting the fat. Waiting 2-3 years (or more) is not a problem for me.

I don't use many supplements, because I feel like food should be the biggest source of nutrients, and I don't like to lean on supplements more than I have to. I use a multivitamin daily, digestive enzymes/probiotics, and protein powder (post workout, and sometimes before bed), but other supplements are rare for me. At times that I am low energy, I will use a pre-workout (though, I haven't in months). When I reach a plateau I will use creatine and a carb supplement (dextrose, maltodextrin, whatever) post workout.

My daily intake is fairly straight forward, and I eat the same every day, whether I lift or not (I'm human, and there is some deviation, but I don't "write" diets I can't stick fairly close to. I'm realistic.):

4500-5000 cals depending on options I choose for the day. Carbs are very high (~550-600g per day), fat is pretty low (60-80g fat), 450-475g protein.

For sake of simplicity: "meat"= some combination of: lean beef, lean buffalo, chicken, and/or fish.

Meal 1: 8oz meat, 4 egg whites, 1.5 cups oatmeal
    Meal 2: 8oz meat, 2 cups brown rice (measured dry), 1 cup raw broccoli
    Meal 3: 8oz meat, 2 cups brown rice (measured dry), 4 cups raw spinach
    Meal 4: 8oz meat, potatoes (9-12oz), 4 cups raw spinach
    Meal 5: 8oz meat, 1.5 cups brown rice (measured dry), 1 cup raw broccoli
    Meal 6: 8oz meat, potatoes (9-12oz), 4 cups raw spinach (typically no later than 6-7pm)
    Meal 7: 50-60 grams of protein from egg whites and/or protein powder (blend)(before bed)

*I often add a few chunks of carrots to my spinach.

This doesn't include my post workout "snack" which almost always consists of 25g of protein (from powder), and an apple. A regular meal follows within an hour.

I rarely use oils to cook. I will occasionally use some EV coconut oil to cook my chicken or fish in a skillet. I am a fan of adding herbs, spices, lemon juice, lime juice, etc. for flavoring. Every now and then I will skillet cook my potatoes in a little EV Olive Oil. I will also use EV olive oil as a dressing for my veggies.

There is some variation, but I don't compromise on the 8oz of meat. Not more, not less. I make sure to get all my fiber in from my veggies (including the "evil starchy potatoes"), so I never skimp on veggies, either. Sometimes I want bread, or a sandwich, so I will substitute the bread for the rice or potatoes.

Once or twice a month I like an "eat like crap" day, and I'll eat whatever I want as long as I get my protein for the day. I try to keep cals under 6000 those days.

Training split to follow.... just wanted to post up the diet really quick.
    Last edited by MyTMouse; 08-01-2014, 04:58 AM.
    My intro thread: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=49855

This is where I need the most help, I'm sure. I have read a lot, and have put this together, based on a few other routines I have read. Please feel free to chime in on this.

Training split:

20-30 mins fasted morning cardio on non-lifting days.

Mon Wed Fri, ABA, BAB, repeat. Odd numbers: "A" workouts, Evens: "B" workouts.

Incline smith press: 11-15 reps rest pause
    Military press: 11-20 reps rest pause
    Close-grip Decline Bench: 11-20 reps rest pause
    HS Underhand Pulldown: 11-15 reps rest pause
    Deadlifts: 6-9; 9-12

Cable Curls 11-20 reps Rest pause
    Hammer Curls 10-20 straight reps
    Calf press 10-12 straight reps
    Lying Leg Curls 15-30 reps Rest pause
    Squats 4-8; 20

Flat-Bench DB Press 20-30 reps rest pause
    Upright Rows 11-15 reps rest pause
    Lying Tricep extension (DB) 15-30 reps rest pause
    Wide-grip pulldown 11-15 reps rest pause
    Rack Pulls 6-9; 9-12

Concentration Curls 11-20 reps rest pause
    Barbell Wrist Curls 10-20 straight reps
    One Leg calf raise 10-12 straight reps
    Sumo leg press (high and wide) 15-25 straight reps
    Hack Squats 4-8; 20

Hammer Strength Chest Press 11-15 reps rest pause
    Smith Shoulder Press 11-20 reps rest pause
    Dips 11-20 reps rest pause
    Close-grip pulldown 11-15 reps rest pause
    T-Bar Rows 10-12 straight reps

Spider Curls 11-20 reps rest pause
    Cable Reverse Curls 10-20 straight reps
    Seated Calf Raise 10-12 straight reps
    Seated leg curl 15-30 reps rest pause
    Leg Press (standard positioning) 4-8; 20
    Last edited by MyTMouse; 08-04-2014, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Admins/Mods can this be moved to the training logs section please?

MyT it looks real good as far as everything goes...the only thing I see is that you have both deadlifts and rack deadlifts...so I'd take out one of them and switch with another back thickness movement.

So what are your stats currently? How long have you been training? DC's training is based on progressive strength jumps and food intake to get as big as we can. Tell us some more about yourself.

Jimpaul/Newtoketo
      ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
      Good luck
      Jimpaul/Newtoketo

EAT BIG, LIFT BIG AND GET BIG...SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN

USE TRUENUTRITION.COM FOR ALL YOUR
      SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!
      TO GET MY DISCOUNT USE Jat338

Comment

Originally posted by jimpaul View Post
        Admins/Mods can this be moved to the training logs section please?

MyT it looks real good as far as everything goes...the only thing I see is that you have both deadlifts and rack deadlifts...so I'd take out one of them and switch with another back thickness movement.

So what are your stats currently? How long have you been training? DC's training is based on progressive strength jumps and food intake to get as big as we can. Tell us some more about yourself.

Jimpaul/Newtoketo
        I THOUGHT I saw a training log section, but when it came time that I was posting this thread, I couldn't find it. I feel like a moron saying that, but I couldn't. I thought maybe that forum got merged with something else.

In any event, thanks a lot for the input, jimpaul! Do you have any specific recommendation for replacing deads or rack deads?

My intro thread has information about me. Initially I had included a link in my original post, BUT... I didn't have 20 posts yet, so the forum wouldn't allow me to keep the link in the post (I'm assuming this is to keep solicitors and bots from posting garbage).

The link is in my signature, should I re-copy the information here, you think?

In short, been training for 14 years total, I'm about 200-210lbs right now.

Comment

I don't have any particular back thickness exercise to replace. Any row or machine that's rowing type will do or maybe a bent row.

Remember to read alot on this site and when it comes to back thickness movements you want to keep the back arched (chest out)(shoulders back). Not rounded and when the shoulder's start coming forward, the set is done!

Train safe
          Jimpaul/Newtoketo
          ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
          Good luck
          Jimpaul/Newtoketo

SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!

Comment

I don't have any particular back thickness exercise to replace. Any row or machine that's rowing type will do or maybe a bent row.

Remember to read alot on this site and when it comes to back thickness movements you want to keep the back arched (chest out)(shoulders back). Not rounded and when the shoulder's start coming forward, the set is done!

Train safe
            Jimpaul/Newtoketo
            Thanks a lot, man. I was REALLY lucky, when I about 20 or so, I had an older guy (40ish) take an interest in teaching me technique. That was one of the first things he taught me when doing back work. I have felt like it is so important, that when I was training clients, I would put a broomstick on their spine to show them where I wanted them positioned (stick usually touches about the tailbone, and between the shoulders, but doesn't touch the middle of the back when they arch correctly).

I'm thinking I may use long-bar rows in place of deads. Then if I have trouble progressing after awhile, I can use rack pulls in place of deads, and maybe some hammer strength machine type rows in place of the long bar rows if I stop progressing on them.

I should probably work on finding a few more exercises that I have strong technique on that I can rotate into my program when I need to make a change for my next DC "blast". I'm rambling and thinking out loud now.

Thanks!

Comment

Remember that you have two chances on an exercise. Either beat it in weights or reps. If you fail today you can try again the next time it comes up in the rotation.

Ps. Don't thank me...thank Dante as it's his teachings!

Stay Strong
              Jimpaul/Newtoketo
              Good luck
              Jimpaul/Newtoketo

SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!

Comment

Remember that you have two chances on an exercise. Either beat it in weights or reps. If you fail today you can try again the next time it comes up in the rotation.

Ps. Don't thank me...thank Dante as it's his teachings!

Stay Strong
                Jimpaul/Newtoketo
                Haha, I hear ya. I just like to thank people for their time, because I do appreciate it.

I've definitely loved reading his stuff, as well as the vets on the board. He and I think along similar wavelengths, so when I read it I had the moment where I said "ya know... this makes sense".

Comment

I have an ab routine, too. One ab exercise at the end of every workout. These are the 6 I will start with:

1 Rope Crunch, 2 Hanging Leg Raise, 3 Landmine 180's, 4 Hip Curls, 5 Decline Crunch, 6 Crossbody Crunch.

20-30 reps, Rest Pause for each of them. (I will be taking JimPaul's advice seen below, and will be doing sets of 12-20 reps. I will likely alternate these 6 exercises.)
                  Last edited by MyTMouse; 08-06-2014, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Well we only do one of two exercises for abs on DC's training. Two different days usually on cardio days. One exercise on first day and another on the second day. Straight set of 12-20 reps using progressively heavier weights. Warmup first.

Good luck
                    Jimpaul/Newtoketo
                    Good luck
                    Jimpaul/Newtoketo

SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!

Comment

Well we only do one of two exercises for abs on DC's training. Two different days usually on cardio days. One exercise on first day and another on the second day. Straight set of 12-20 reps using progressively heavier weights. Warmup first.

Good luck
                      Jimpaul/Newtoketo
                      I didn't find that outlined... either that or I ran across it and just forgot.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                      X