Back at DC after couple years off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back at DC after couple years off

Been f'ing around with volume training and some JM stuff for past couple years and decided it was time to come back to the meat and potatoes. Im in a calorie deficit right now so i bumped the rep ranges on everything. Would greatly appreciate any critique anyone could give. Thanks.

A1
    BB decline (16-20)
    Partial Side Raises (20-25) ***Yes I know Im going to take shit for these, I learned them from Meadows and I really like them, you can go heavy and you can progress, and I cant do 3 shoulder press movements anymore
    Rev Grip Smyth (16-20)
    Pulldowns (16-20)
    Racks (6-10, 20)

A2
    Flat Hammer Press (20-25)
    DB press (20-25)
    Skulls (20-25)
    Chins (16-20)
    Tbar (6-10, 20)

A3
    Inc Smyth or DB Inc (I know Dbs are a pain for RP, I just love them, anyone have any experience using them?) (16-20)
    Standing Press (16-20)
    Dips (16-20)
    Neutral Grip Pulldown (20-25)
    DB row (16-20)

B1
    DB Curl (16-20)
    Reverse EZ (20-25)
    Seated Calves
    Seated Ham Curl (16-20)
    Smyth Squat, hip width stance (20-25)

B2
    EZ Bar Curl (16-20)
    Hammer Curl (16-20)
    Stand Calves
    Lying Ham Curl (16-20)
    Squats (6-10, 20)

B3
    Hammer Preachers (20-25)
    BB Wrist curl (20-25)
    Leg Press Calves
    RDL (16-20)
    Leg Press (6-10, 20)

Originally posted by abbot138 View Post
    Been f'ing around with volume training and some JM stuff for past couple years and decided it was time to come back to the meat and potatoes. Im in a calorie deficit right now so i bumped the rep ranges on everything. Would greatly appreciate any critique anyone could give. Thanks.

A1
    BB decline (16-20)
    Partial Side Raises (20-25) ***Yes I know Im going to take shit for these, I learned them from Meadows and I really like them, you can go heavy and you can progress, and I cant do 3 shoulder press movements anymore
    Rev Grip Smyth (16-20)
    Pulldowns (16-20)
    Racks (6-10, 20)

A2
    Flat Hammer Press (20-25)
    DB press (20-25)
    Skulls (20-25)
    Chins (16-20)
    Tbar (6-10, 20)

A3
    Inc Smyth or DB Inc (I know Dbs are a pain for RP, I just love them, anyone have any experience using them?) (16-20)
    Standing Press (16-20)
    Dips (16-20)
    Neutral Grip Pulldown (20-25)
    DB row (16-20)

B1
    DB Curl (16-20)
    Reverse EZ (20-25)
    Seated Calves
    Seated Ham Curl (16-20)
    Smyth Squat, hip width stance (20-25)

B2
    EZ Bar Curl (16-20)
    Hammer Curl (16-20)
    Stand Calves
    Lying Ham Curl (16-20)
    Squats (6-10, 20)

B3
    Hammer Preachers (20-25)
    BB Wrist curl (20-25)
    Leg Press Calves
    RDL (16-20)
    Leg Press (6-10, 20)
    I wouldn't bump reps ranges for that reason alone.

-S
    The Book Has Arrived!
    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
      I wouldn't bump reps ranges for that reason alone.

-S
      So you're thinking stick with the usual 11-15 for all the ones I have listed as 16-20? I wasn't so much bumping the rep range just so I can lower the weight while im in a deficit. I have no problem lifting heavy while cutting in theory. I just know my body and I tend to breakdown easier (both joints and CNS) when Im not getting a surplus of calories. I figured this way I would have a better chance at getting through 6 weeks before deloading. Was that your main reason for not bumping the ranges, that I would be moving lighter weights throughout?

Comment

Ok, so I did some more research and realize I was all over place. This really should've been in Puppy Pound, I apologize. Last time I was doing DC I was not aware of all the variations in rep ranges and reasons for them, but they all make a ton of sense. Here is what I have now.

A1
        BB decline (11-15)
        Partial Side Raises (20-30) ***Yes I know Im going to take shit for these, I learned them from Meadows and I really like them, you can go heavy and you can progress, and I cant do 3 shoulder press movements anymore
        Rev Grip Smyth (11-15)
        Pulldowns (11-20)
        Racks (5-10, 15-20)

A2
        Flat Hammer Press (15-20)
        DB press (20-30)
        Skulls (20-30)
        Chins (11-20)
        Hammer Chest Supported Tbar (11-15)

A3
        DB Inc (20-30)
        Standing Press (15-20)
        Dips (11-15)
        Neutral Grip Pulldown (11-20)
        DB row (15-20)

B1
        Seated DB Curl (20-30)
        Reverse EZ (12-20ss)
        Seated Calves
        Seated Ham Curl (15-20)
        Smyth Squat, hip width stance (20-30)

B2
        EZ Bar Curl (15-25)
        Hammer Curl (10-20ss)
        Stand Calves
        Lying Ham Curl (15-20)
        Squats (6-10, 15-20)

B3
        Hammer Preachers (20-30)
        BB Wrist curl (10-20ss)
        Leg Press Calves
        Leg Press (6-10, 15-20)
        RDL (6-10, 15-25)

Any better? Lol....I see the reason for your comment now. Rep ranges should be adjust bc of exercise selection, variation, personal preference and injury prevention....Not bc of diet......Any other thoughts on workout selection or setup?

Comment

Ok, so I did some more research and realize I was all over place. This really should've been in Puppy Pound, I apologize. Last time I was doing DC I was not aware of all the variations in rep ranges and reasons for them, but they all make a ton of sense. Here is what I have now.

A1
          BB decline (11-15)
          Partial Side Raises (20-30) ***Yes I know Im going to take shit for these, I learned them from Meadows and I really like them, you can go heavy and you can progress, and I cant do 3 shoulder press movements anymore
          Rev Grip Smyth (11-15)
          Pulldowns (11-20)
          Racks (5-10, 15-20)

A2
          Flat Hammer Press (15-20)
          DB press (20-30)
          Skulls (20-30)
          Chins (11-20)
          Hammer Chest Supported Tbar (11-15)

A3
          DB Inc (20-30)
          Standing Press (15-20)
          Dips (11-15)
          Neutral Grip Pulldown (11-20)
          DB row (15-20)

B1
          Seated DB Curl (20-30)
          Reverse EZ (12-20ss)
          Seated Calves
          Seated Ham Curl (15-20)
          Smyth Squat, hip width stance (20-30)

B2
          EZ Bar Curl (15-25)
          Hammer Curl (10-20ss)
          Stand Calves
          Lying Ham Curl (15-20)
          Squats (6-10, 15-20)

B3
          Hammer Preachers (20-30)
          BB Wrist curl (10-20ss)
          Leg Press Calves
          Leg Press (6-10, 15-20)
          RDL (6-10, 15-25)

Any better? Lol....I see the reason for your comment now. Rep ranges should be adjust bc of exercise selection, variation, personal preference and injury prevention....Not bc of diet......Any other thoughts on workout selection or setup?
          I'm on the road and don't have time for a full breakdown of the program, but you're basically right about my comment.

If you do find that the heavier loads that come with lower rep ranges adversely affect you when dieting, I'd make that change in rep ranges as or just before it begins to happen / you begin to notice it, not simply b/c you've switched your diet.

For example, if you diet for 16 weeks and can go for the first 6 weeks with the heavier loads, this would be preferable (as these are the loads that you used to get the muscle you have) vs. simply lightening the loads right off the bat (meaning the entire diet is with lighter loads). Now, if you know that you will end up with issues (breaking down - as you note above) if you don't act preventatively, that's a different story.

Reducing loads simply b/c one is dieting is a "mistake" I've seen over the years many time. I'd rather see volume reduced (but loading / intensity / %1RM retained) in strength / heavy loading / progressive overload oriented programs like DC.

-S
          The Book Has Arrived!
          The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
            I'm on the road and don't have time for a full breakdown of the program, but you're basically right about my comment.

If you do find that the heavier loads that come with lower rep ranges adversely affect you when dieting, I'd make that change in rep ranges as or just before it begins to happen / you begin to notice it, not simply b/c you've switched your diet.

For example, if you diet for 16 weeks and can go for the first 6 weeks with the heavier loads, this would be preferable (as these are the loads that you used to get the muscle you have) vs. simply lightening the loads right off the bat (meaning the entire diet is with lighter loads). Now, if you know that you will end up with issues (breaking down - as you note above) if you don't act preventatively, that's a different story.

Reducing loads simply b/c one is dieting is a "mistake" I've seen over the years many time. I'd rather see volume reduced (but loading / intensity / %1RM retained) in strength / heavy loading / progressive overload oriented programs like DC.

-S
            Well put. Thank you for your time. Will stay heavy as long as possible.

Comment

Same here- Did DC for a while, then changed jobs and work obligations and lifestyle made it near impossible to follow DC to a tee. Still worked out pretty hard, following a lot of DC principles, but found myself drifting back into the volume training BS. Have a more flexible job now, so been back at DC for the last 3 weeks or so, absolutely loving it and can see progress both in the gym and the mirror already. Good luck bro

Comment

Well put. Thank you for your time. Will stay heavy as long as possible.
                You're welcome!!! Good luck. (Let us know how you do. )

-S
                The Book Has Arrived!
                The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

wondering if you took a couple of weeks off in between the volume training and coming back to dc? I "believe" he recommended that....
                  ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
                  Good luck
                  Jimpaul/Newtoketo

EAT BIG, LIFT BIG AND GET BIG...SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN

USE TRUENUTRITION.COM FOR ALL YOUR
                  SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!
                  TO GET MY DISCOUNT USE Jat338

Comment

Originally posted by jimpaul View Post
                    wondering if you took a couple of weeks off in between the volume training and coming back to dc? I "believe" he recommended that....
                    You know what, I didn't, and I sure as fvck should have, lol. I was just so excited to get back at it. As a result, my blast only last about 4.5 weeks. All good though, did a deload and Im right back at it. Feels so damn good to be lifting with intensity again and progressing while in a cal deficit.

Comment

You know what, I didn't, and I sure as fvck should have, lol. I was just so excited to get back at it. As a result, my blast only last about 4.5 weeks. All good though, did a deload and Im right back at it. Feels so damn good to be lifting with intensity again and progressing while in a cal deficit.
                      Sweet give it hell but be safe! Keep it all wrapped lol.:smokin:
                      ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
                      Good luck
                      Jimpaul/Newtoketo

EAT BIG, LIFT BIG AND GET BIG...SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN

USE TRUENUTRITION.COM FOR ALL YOUR
                      SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!
                      TO GET MY DISCOUNT USE Jat338

Comment

Working...
                      X