Quick DC critique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick DC critique

After blasting away with 5/3/1 for a good amount of time I think I am finally to the point where my strength is adequate to do DC effectively. All the gurus in there would be the best place for a critique so here goes:

A few notes:
    Shoulders - I put the rep range a bit higher as I tend to bottom out on these FAST, I figure a higher range would allow longer improvement

Triceps & Biceps - Same reason as above for higher repetitions

Barbell lunges on B3 - I enjoy lunges a lot. They make me consistently sore every time I do them. I typically do 3x10 with 70's so I think switching to barbell will allow some significant strength improvements. I do not believe they are typically mentioned in a DC split so I am willing to adjust this if need be.

Lying Leg Curl - I only ever feel like I accomplish much on these in the higher rep ranges.

4-13-14 DC Split

A1
    Decline Smith Press – 11-15RP
    Hammer Strength Shoulder Press – 15-20RP
    Dead Stop Skullcrusher – 20-30RP
    Wide Grip Pulldown – 11-15RP
    Rack Deadlift – 6-8, 9-12

A2
    Hammer Strength Chest Press – 11-15RP
    High Incline Smith SH Pr – 15-20RP
    Tricep dip Machine(No access to BW dips Yet) – 20-30RP
    Rack Chin – 11-15RP
    Meadows Row – 6-8, 9-12

A3
    Incline BB Press – 11-15RP
    Standing Military Press – 15-20RP
    Reverse Grip Smith Press – 20-30RP
    Reverse Grip Rack Chin – 11-15RP
    Pendalay Row – 6-8, 9-12

B1
    EZ bar Drag Curl – 15-20RP
    DB Hammer Curl – 15-20SS
    Hip Sled Calf Press – 9-12 DC Style
    SLDL – 6-8, 9-12
    Hack Squat – 6-8, 20 Rep Widowmaker

B2
    Incline DB Curl – 15-=20RP
    DB Pinwheel Curl – 15-20SS
    Standing Calf Press – 9-12 DC Style
    Lying Leg Curl – 15-20RP
    BB Squat – 6-8, 20 Rep Widowmaker

B3
    Preacher Curl Machine – 15-20RP
    Reverse grip Cable curl – 1 arm – 15-20SS
    Seated Calf Press – 9-12RP
    Sumo Leg Press – 6-8, 9-12
    Barbell Lunge – 6-8, 20 Rep Widowmaker
    2013 NPC Heartland Classic OKC - 1st Men's Lightheavyweight Novice/Overall

Just quickly scanning this,

Rep ranges could do with more variety.

Chest is all 11-15rp
    Make hammer chest press around 15-20 or 20-25/30 rp.

Reverse grip rack chin has the potential to cause some bicep problems IMO. Plus same thing veariety in rep ranges.

Biceps

I know you preface this with triceps responsing to higher rep ranges, but I think reverse grip bench being so high a range doesnt give the potential for much strength gains as youe going to have to lower the weight significantly to get up there, furthermore, it wil be a slow grind upping the weight because of the high range, so maybe consider dropping that to 11-15. This is the blast to get strong, dont forge if you have weak tris after this, then we can hammer them with widow makers in the 3 way.

I like Pendlay rows as I mentioned in your log, however I dont think they are a great choice for a back thickness exercise for a DC program. Maybe they are, I just find that the lower back takes a beating with moderate volume to non failiure, and with DC as you get fatigued on the sets, you may comr out of the right pendlay grove. Maybe..just thinking out load here.

Never used lunges on a blast. Probably more a hammie movement than a quad movement. Wouldnt fancy a widowmaker with a barbell with them either..haha faceplant the floor (I would do that)

Biceps and forearms - again rep ranges.
    Youll have to play around before the blast to see which rep ranges you like with your choices. I would have the dumbells at 11-15rp
    Drag curl at 15-20 and machine curl at 20-30...thats because I know I responded with these.
    Hammers and pinwheels are quite similar.
    Drop hammers and go with a reverse curl or Dantes pre extended wrist cable curl.

Hammies-
    SLDL always comes after quads. Youll know why if you do it the other way around once
    Sumo press leg press...stay on the heel, and do one straight set at 15-25. Not a good exercise to rest pause or double set IMO. A lot of room for injury as you push big time..all it takez is fatigue and out of the groove and PING.

Havent looked at order much. Wrote this fast whilst waiting for client.

Hopefully Mental et all chime in and no doubt tell me to shut up

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I'm going to chime in more, but I need some sleep...

I agree with pretty much everything martin wrote.... He is too humble.. He got you on the SLDL and quads order, but the big thing I see is the rep ranges. Loo at all of you bodyparts adn try to get at least 2 different rep ranges. This isn't a "rule" but it tends to work for a variety of stimulus

I would really leave out the lunges. Just not a real effective move for DC. How about smith front squats? You could actually do light lunges for speed and distance as cardio... I wouldn't do that the day before legs though.

Pendlays, could be used, I never did them, but I'd probably belt up for them to protect your back. And I don't know about the reverse grip rack chins... that is really going to put a stretch on the biceps and could be very risky. The potential for a tear is high. Go regular rack chins.

Agree with martin on the H/S chest. Great exercise to really push in the higher rep range as it is safe and you can hit a solid groove.
      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
      2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

The trouble i have with front squats is choking myself out lol. But i do eNjoy how the movement feels.

Rep variety is a good idea. I always thought they were similar per exercise butI can understand the benefit of different stimulus.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk

Comment

Look up and you shouldnt have that problem on fronts...plus your probably forcing the bar back too much and out of grove between the calvicle and deltoids, which is sufficating you. I have 2 clients that do this. Also depends if its a cross arm grip or the olympic grip...criss arm grip makes you think the bars going to fall forward, whereas the olympic grip you have the bar on the figers tips and the head thinks its secured. If that makes sense.

These are the impressions I have gatheted from coaching others and myself

Comment

I'd be hesitant about having stiff legs the workout after rack deads...
            I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
            I too like to live dangerously

Comment

You could do close stance smith back squats or close stance leg press....

And yes, SLDLs would probably fit best in B3
              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I appreciate the input guys, here is a revision:

4-13-14 DC Split

A1
                Decline Smith Press – 11-=15RP

A2
                Hammer Strength Chest Press – 20-30RP
                Rack Chin – 11-15RP
                Meadows Row – 6-8, 9-12

A3
                Reverse Grip Smith Press – 11-15RP
                Chest Supported DB row – 11-15RP
                Bent Smith Row – 6-8, 9-12

B1
                DB Hammer Curl – 15-20SS
                Sumo Leg Press - 15-25SS

B2
                Incline DB Curl – 11-15RP
                Reverse grip Ez bar curl - 11-15ss
                Lying Leg Curl – 15-20RP

B3
                Preacher Curl Machine – 20-30RP
                Smith Front Squat – 6-8, 20 rep widowmaker
                SLDL – 6-8, 9-12

For back width I am a little unsure about the db rows, but they would allow for good progression..any thoughts on this? I was thinking of tossing legitimate pullups in there as I can do good on them, but I remember that they are not necessarily recommended for DC.

Comment

Originally posted by PhoebeusFenix View Post
                  I appreciate the input guys, here is a revision:

4-13-14 DC Split

A1
                  Decline Smith Press – 11-=15RP

A2
                  Hammer Strength Chest Press – 20-30RP
                  Rack Chin – 11-15RP
                  Meadows Row – 6-8, 9-12

A3
                  Reverse Grip Smith Press – 11-15RP
                  Chest Supported DB row – 11-15RP
                  Bent Smith Row – 6-8, 9-12

B1
                  DB Hammer Curl – 15-20SS
                  Sumo Leg Press - 15-25SS

B2
                  Incline DB Curl – 11-15RP
                  Reverse grip Ez bar curl - 11-15ss
                  Lying Leg Curl – 15-20RP

B3
                  Preacher Curl Machine – 20-30RP
                  Smith Front Squat – 6-8, 20 rep widowmaker
                  SLDL – 6-8, 9-12

For back width I am a little unsure about the db rows, but they would allow for good progression..any thoughts on this? I was thinking of tossing legitimate pullups in there as I can do good on them, but I remember that they are not necessarily recommended for DC.
                  Pull-sups are perfectly fine... where did you see that information? Many people use pull-ups IF you can do proper pull ups. Maybe the issue is that many people cheat them and don't go from a straight hang to getting their bin above the bar.

Chest supported rows are a back thickness exercise... I would put in the pull-ups there or another type of vertical pulling exercise.

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I always used pullups and chins in DC, it is a no brainer, so long as you dead hang every rep (just like an exercise, do not cheat yourself).

It is also worth mentioning - use exercises you like and get into a grove with.Dont just do what you think is best and will pass the DC approved exercise list (there is no list). I like a mix of what I am good at and what I am shit at in blasts (ie dont like - squats / romanian deads / dumbell shoulder press - I forced them onto myself as I was shit at them for a reason - not doing them.

Play around with rep ranges and exercises for a week or two before starting.

P.s. I have used cable pulldowns for width.
                    --straight bar
                    Shoulder width (or infact just outside shoulder width)
                    Stand back
                    Bend knees at 45degress and lean forward at the hips towards the machine
                    Now stand back away from the machine until you feel the lats stretch right up into your armpit.
                    Straight arm pulldown it from there right to the knee
                    I like to hold for a 1-2 count and slowly return
                    It is important not to swing and really feel scapula depressing downwards or feeling the lats contracting hard and not feeling the spinal erectors getting pumped (weights too heavy)

Brace core and glutes throughout too. Will stop swinging anc cheating.
                    Ya know general PT ques
                    martin_h
                    Middleweight Member
                    Last edited by martin_h; 04-15-2014, 11:46 AM.

Comment

I think I remember seeing that in a Dante thread, could be mistaken though. I think it was in reference to the fact that most 300lb bodybuilders have a hard time doing a pullup..no idea..anyway.

Pull-ups it is! I'll keep those straight arm pulldowns around for when I plateau!

I need to buy some different equipment for my gym so I can do some low cable rows too.

Comment

I remember the comment about monster bodybuilders not being able to widowmaker squats as they would be out of breath so use the leg press / hack squat.
                        Might of mentioned it in there.

And not being harsh here but your not 300lbs lol. So even if he has said something, it applies to humungous dudes, not your light weighta like us

Comment

Lol no harshness taken. It's the shitty reality unfortunately.

Comment

Not everybody owns there own succesful business though

Comment

good stuff!

Comment

Working...
                              X