hyperextension deadlifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hyperextension deadlifts

Hyperextension deadlifts...any good? Anyone used them for dc training?

Would they make a decent alternative for floor deads/rack deads/machine deads?

If that's not the correct name for the exercise...i mean get set up on a hyper extension for lower back/lumbers...and have a loaded barbell on the floor infront of you. And just raise up with the bar hanging down.

I imagine you could pull your shoulders back too to squeeze them traps and rear delts?
    Matt
    NABBA UK 2011 - Novice class 3rd Place
    NABBA BRITAIN FINALS 2012 - Novice class 3rd Place
    NABBA NORTH WEST 2014 - Mr Class 2 - 1st Place
    NABBA WORLD CHAMPS 2014 - Mr Class 2 - 10th Place
    NABBA ENGLAND 2015 - Mr Class 2 - 3rd place
    NABBA UK 2015 - Mr Class 2 - 4th place

Deadlift Hypers. I have done them quite a bit. Not really sure I would rest pause them. I could see doing a couple heave SS's of 8-12 though.

Comment

I've used them in place of stiff legged/romanian deads. Done it with both barbells and dumbells, its crazy hard on the hammies. Wouldn't recommend it to target the back though.
      :preach:

Comment

Yeah iv done glute ham raises on it before. I want it for back primarily.

If i set the rest right up to my hips maybe that will take some tension off the hams?

I would not rest pause these either since back thickness exercises are done for 2 straight sets.

Anyone else got experience with these as a back thickness exercise????

Matt

Comment

Matt, I would see these more as a WM move... I would hit some heavy rows first then move onto these as a WM. Just the amount of stress these would place on your low back if using a heavy ass SS type weight could really cause some spinal issues, but I think a lighter WM type weight, possibly a higher rep Wm, like 30 reps, would be pretty badass.

Just a thought... Might be worth playing with
          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I usually use 25lb plates too, to get more rom.

Honestly I never felt overly stressed on my back with these. I have gone pretty heavy in the 8-12 range. WM could be doable too.

I also agree if you set the pad right you would get much in the way of hamstrings, mostly back.

Comment

Gah!! To be fair my back grew best and now to my probably strongest body part when i took back wm exercises out...i think it was just too much originally.

I can really apply the fuck out of my self in the 1 rp set on width and then 2 ss on thickness then im jst wiped out.

Basically i always do 2 row movements and a deadlift. Iv just done floor deads...jyst failed rack deads this week...machine deads i did a while back but i wanna try a new one.

Especially for the run up to my show...11 weeks left. I was thinking the hypers would possibly give me alittle more detail since iv not done back hypers in such a long time.

Matt

Comment

Josh Bryant has Johnnie Jackson and Branch on this exercise, I think it's good to go as a main exercise. A heavy set of 6-8 followed by 8-10 should be good to go.

Pitching your shoulder blades together and really pulling them back when raising the bar should train the living hell out of your upper back

Guys at Elitefts place some plates under the hyperext. machine to lengthen the pull. Try this out of your hyper is too close to the floor or if you have Slenderman arms like me.
                Last edited by 0001Delta; 02-27-2014, 11:21 PM.
                "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Sounds pretty good to me!!

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by liftweights View Post
                    I've used them in place of stiff legged/romanian deads. Done it with both barbells and dumbells, its crazy hard on the hammies. Wouldn't recommend it to target the back though.
                    I also

Comment

for wm hell sure!

Comment

Working...
                      X