Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DC Smith machine flat bench safety

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DC Smith machine flat bench safety

    Quick question here, is the smith machine flat bench an exercise that can be safely utilized in DC training? I've been shunning away from it because I'm afraid it may be so much similar to the flat bench that it might put me at risk for a pec tear. If it's safer than the regular bench press however then I may need to start using this exercise. Thanks!
    :preach:

  • #2
    If you have shoulder issues, I would shrug away from it, but if not, it can be done safely. You will likely be safer utilizing a slightly higher rep range, perhaps 15-20Rp or 20-25RP and really focusing on the contraction. You may also want to utilize a wide grip for a different stimulus...

    Smith tends to be safer IMO because it allows one to control the weight easier thus reducing the risk of a pec or rotator cuff tear.
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

    Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

    2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

    Comment


    • #3
      My opinion is, for DC training, smith is better than free weight since you can grind out reps a lot better (don't need to stabilize as much and burn you out when you're trying to eek out that last rep.)

      My suggestion is to really spend some time to find a safe position and keep it consistent. Hell, even take photos of how the bench is set up, remember where you place your hands, etc.

      If you have a high propensity for injury (long arms), I suggest using those stoppers and stop a few inches from your chest...touch and go.

      I figure if you set up just right, smith flat bench is no more injury-inducive than your chest machine or hammer press.

      Bump it up to 15-25 rep range.
      Max Muscle
      5020 Katella Ave.
      Los Alamitos, CA 90720
      www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Okay awesome that's what I thought but I just wanted to be sure. Always better safe than sorry. Thank you for your insight it's much appreciated as always

        I have very long arms so I'll be doing a slightly lower ROM and a 15-20 rep range.
        :preach:

        Comment


        • #5
          For me RGBP is one if those exercises I need to be very percose of setup. ,grip width, bench placement etc. If it's not perfect it doesn't feel right, feels Akward and my rp #s vary more then usual . Anway I'm throwing in smith flat next week and I have very long arms ,I'll report back then

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
            My opinion is, for DC training, smith is better than free weight since you can grind out reps a lot better (don't need to stabilize as much and burn you out when you're trying to eek out that last rep.)

            My suggestion is to really spend some time to find a safe position and keep it consistent. Hell, even take photos of how the bench is set up, remember where you place your hands, etc.

            If you have a high propensity for injury (long arms), I suggest using those stoppers and stop a few inches from your chest...touch and go.

            I figure if you set up just right, smith flat bench is no more injury-inducive than your chest machine or hammer press.

            Bump it up to 15-25 rep range.
            Good call on the long arms thing....with long arms you tend to really stretch the muscle....I find it's a damn good stretch when my triceps are parallel to the floor and my arms make a 90 degree angle. For me that's a good 4-5 inches off my chest, but I've still descended about 10-12 inches already since my arms are so long, lol
            STEEL




            "SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
              Good call on the long arms thing....with long arms you tend to really stretch the muscle....I find it's a damn good stretch when my triceps are parallel to the floor and my arms make a 90 degree angle. For me that's a good 4-5 inches off my chest, but I've still descended about 10-12 inches already since my arms are so long, lol
              How tall are you steel? I'm 6'4 and I feel exactly the same way. My chest has been growing MUCH faster because I've been utilizing a ''lower'' range of motion as well. It allows me to use so much more weight.
              :preach:

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                If you have shoulder issues, I would shrug away from it, but if not, it can be done safely. You will likely be safer utilizing a slightly higher rep range, perhaps 15-20Rp or 20-25RP and really focusing on the contraction. You may also want to utilize a wide grip for a different stimulus...

                Smith tends to be safer IMO because it allows one to control the weight easier thus reducing the risk of a pec or rotator cuff tear.
                the contraction, do you mean squeeze at the top or just as you start pressing? beyond halfway up it seems very tricepy

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by drcrappants View Post
                  the contraction, do you mean squeeze at the top or just as you start pressing? beyond halfway up it seems very tricepy

                  Focus on flexing your pecs as you execute the movement, so you have constant tension throughout. I almost like to imagine my chest expanding on the eccentric and then intentionally contract on the concentric, like imagine you have a quarter between your pecs and try to squeeze it.
                  Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

                  Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

                  2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                  2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                  2015 Beat Cancer!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                    Focus on flexing your pecs as you execute the movement, so you have constant tension throughout. I almost like to imagine my chest expanding on the eccentric and then intentionally contract on the concentric, like imagine you have a quarter between your pecs and try to squeeze it.
                    will try that next time, sometimes beating the log book makes me forget to focus on the muscle and instead just gruel through the reps somewhat controlled.

                    after doing cable flyes from different angles, i can much easier contract them, especially at the end of the fly like for 1-2s and it makes a big difference.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X