Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widowmaker exercises for quads

Hi.

I've been having great success with doing a close/low leg press as a widowmaker for my quads in this leg press machine at the gym.

But now they're removing it, and this machine is just totally perfect for me.
    The contact you get in the quads because of the position you're sitting in, and the ability to do a full range motion with A LOT of weight in this machine is superb!

Just smashing out 20-30 reps !!

So I'm kinda lost here on what to do now. Could probably use the leg extension machine, but you can't really put a lot of weight on there.....and my knees dont like it.

So anyone got any tips for quad widowmaker exercises ???

What's wrong with squats, smith squats, hacks, front squats, etc....for WMs? I'm sure there are more, but those are right off the top of my head...

-s
    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."

"Carry 24/7 or guess right."

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

"993 yo f9t[n9y[I8itineraryBMiy v][/t u 98 oh 99 u]y8y u[/hy jyip NH j o have I h"

Comment

Nothing wrong, but I'd like the widowmaker to be specific for the quads, and not so much glute/ham.

It not that easy to do 20-30 reps with good form with e.g BB Back Squat, front squat - and just target the quads with this extreme contact. If you'd try the machine you'd know what I was talking about. I've done BB/Smith squats before as a WM, but certainly doesn't work as well as the close/low leg press.

I probably need to try out a few new exercises and tweak it into something I can use.

Really appreciate feedback here so just fire away. The more the better.
      Last edited by TFM; 12-01-2013, 07:56 PM.

Comment

i had great success with doing smyth somersault squats, they target the outer sweeps pretty good with no glute/ham/lower back involvement.

i used to hit what exercise i was doing with a widowmaker...bb squats, leg press etc...what ever it was. but once i hit 290lbs and my knees were bothering me more than my breathing - Dante suggested i did a wm on something else like a hack or something more isolating or different from the main compound exercise i was doing.

Matt
        NABBA UK 2011 - Novice class 3rd Place
        NABBA BRITAIN FINALS 2012 - Novice class 3rd Place
        NABBA NORTH WEST 2014 - Mr Class 2 - 1st Place
        NABBA WORLD CHAMPS 2014 - Mr Class 2 - 10th Place
        NABBA ENGLAND 2015 - Mr Class 2 - 3rd place
        NABBA UK 2015 - Mr Class 2 - 4th place

Comment

Close stance Smith Squats
          Close Stance Front Squats
          High Bar Close Stance BB Back Squats
          Heel Elevated BB Back Squats (heels elevated on 10lb or 5lb weights)
          Hack Squats and Close Stance Hack Squats
          Sissy Squats
          Hack Sissy Squats like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpwRbl3E_LE
          Smith Sissy Hack Squats a la Doc Stevenson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a9KJVHmVig

Have fun with those lol
          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

man those tom platz style hack sissy squats absolutely thrashed my knee caps.

doing them feels fine but the next few days after is just goddamn painful.

try at your own risk!!

Matt
            NABBA UK 2011 - Novice class 3rd Place
            NABBA BRITAIN FINALS 2012 - Novice class 3rd Place
            NABBA NORTH WEST 2014 - Mr Class 2 - 1st Place
            NABBA WORLD CHAMPS 2014 - Mr Class 2 - 10th Place
            NABBA ENGLAND 2015 - Mr Class 2 - 3rd place
            NABBA UK 2015 - Mr Class 2 - 4th place

Comment

Widowmaker exercises for quads

Originally posted by bicep_grind View Post
              man those tom platz style hack sissy squats absolutely thrashed my knee caps.

doing them feels fine but the next few days after is just goddamn painful.

try at your own risk!!

Matt
              My girl and I did them on thanksgiving day with forced reps after each of the 4 sets (5 forced, 10 forced, 15 forced and 20 forced) and then finished off doing a drop set on them. These didn't ness up our knees but sweet baby jesus dud they ever shred out quads. We were gimping around all day lol
              Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
              2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
              2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

You can also use the smith machine as a leg press, if it's not one of those angled smiths.

Use a band or towel to secure the bar and prevent it from rotating, place the safety pins/catches on a height you can get under the bar and use it just like a leg press.

Wasn't able to latch after the set, so let it set down on the safety catches.
                "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Originally posted by 0001Delta View Post
                  You can also use the smith machine as a leg press, if it's not one of those angled smiths.

Use a band or towel to secure the bar and prevent it from rotating, place the safety pins/catches on a height you can get under the bar and use it just like a leg press.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha9Zw2f2Uko
                  It still will be dangerous! How can you be concentrated on a exercice and focus of you dont feel safe at 100%! Ever tryed reverse hack squat? Great exercice, safe!
                  The more you get deeper he more it involves glutes and Hams.
                  Its not how good you are, but how good you want to be!
                  Practise What You Preach!

Comment

Originally posted by theVirus View Post
                    It still will be dangerous! How can you be concentrated on a exercice and focus of you dont feel safe at 100%! Ever tryed reverse hack squat? Great exercice, safe!
                    The more you get deeper he more it involves glutes and Hams.
                    It's actually easier than it looks to do those smith vertical leg presses.

-S
                    The Book Has Arrived!
                    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Your youtube vid of them cleared it up for me Homon. Made me feel at ease and not panic thinking I was going to be one of Henry the VIII's wives!!

Comment

Originally posted by martin_h View Post
                        Your youtube vid of them cleared it up for me Homon. Made me feel at ease and not panic thinking I was going to be one of Henry the VIII's wives!!
                        I Will give it a try in one of my blasts.
                        Its not how good you are, but how good you want to be!
                        Practise What You Preach!

Comment

Buy an Ironmind hip belt and use it for your two straight sets or your WM. That thing thrashes the quads like nothing else.

I've also found that foam rolling the quads and stretching them really thoroughly BEFORE your session will allow you to include exercises that currently kill your knees. I believe it's due to the patellar tendon pulling the patella up slightly out of its proper position and rolling/stretching allows the patella to ride in its proper location.

Comment

Working...
                          X