Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here doing DC but with 1 straight set only?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here doing DC but with 1 straight set only?

Anyone?

The reason I ask is because I know two things about myself

1) I only make gains with low volume, high freq routines like DC.
    2) I have shit recovery

I am currently doing a routine that is "dc inspired". Upper/lower mon-wed-fri. Same type of exercises chosen as DC. Only I don't rotate and I take one set to failure instead of rest pausing.

This has been working great, but I am plateauing hard right now, so I need to put in an exercise rotation like DC. If I do this, then I am only the extreme stretches away and actual rest pausing from it being real DC.

I was just curious if any of you had bad recovery like me and had to use one straight set to failure. If I rest pause at all, I cannot recover in the 3 days the next related session will occur.

If I do start actual DC with a 3 way rotation, is 1 straight set considered enough for those who can't recover from RPing?

"DC" with one straight set isn't DC.... it is a HIT program. Why not look into Dorian Yate's routine, that seems like it may be up your alley.
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
      "DC" with one straight set isn't DC.... it is a HIT program. Why not look into Dorian Yate's routine, that seems like it may be up your alley.
      I read every single article on here and I know it was mentioned in one of them that back when DC trained people, he would have them do straight sets if they had shitty recovery. It just wasn't clarified if that was one set to failure, or multiple sets to failure.

I mean I can still do a 3 way rotation with 1 set and just not call it DC. I don't really care about the semantics, was just curious if anyone here had the same problem. Maybe even a 2 way rotation to start would be better.

I'll check out Dorians routine, thanks.

Comment

2 straight sets for the win???
        SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

A while ago I followed a DC schedule with only straight sets (similar to back thickness recommendations). Too old for rest pausing.
          I tried to do everything like DC except for rest pausing and found it evolved into something not anywhere near DC.
          Yes I still do lower volume/higher frequency BUT I had to find what works for me and TRUE DC wasn't it. Don't get locked into "I do DC but..." because you will find yourself trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.
          Find what works best for you.
          Mental gave a good suggestion above. Also research the Rep Goal Scheme. Its progressive and you need to beat the log book.
          Good luck!

Comment

Still looking for the post from Dante, but I found a similar thread.

Looks like Hom suggested a few years ago that people do just 1 extra mini set. So set + 1 instead of set + 1 + 1

http://www.intensemuscle.com/archive...p/t-36645.html

And it was still considered DC.

Comment

Originally posted by dice77 View Post
              A while ago I followed a DC schedule with only straight sets (similar to back thickness recommendations). Too old for rest pausing.
              I tried to do everything like DC except for rest pausing and found it evolved into something not anywhere near DC.
              Yes I still do lower volume/higher frequency BUT I had to find what works for me and TRUE DC wasn't it. Don't get locked into "I do DC but..." because you will find yourself trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.
              Find what works best for you.
              Mental gave a good suggestion above. Also research the Rep Goal Scheme. Its progressive and you need to beat the log book.
              Good luck!

Thanks.

Yeah I still try to beat the log book every time, that is the essence of my routine. Perhaps one extra, lighter set (but still to failure) can bust me through the plateau? I don't want to just change routines because of a 1 month plateau. I was making great gains, they just halted.
              Last edited by SkinnyMike42; 11-22-2013, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyMike42 View Post
                I read every single article on here and I know it was mentioned in one of them that back when DC trained people, he would have them do straight sets if they had shitty recovery. It just wasn't clarified if that was one set to failure, or multiple sets to failure.

I mean I can still do a 3 way rotation with 1 set and just not call it DC. I don't really care about the semantics, was just curious if anyone here had the same problem. Maybe even a 2 way rotation to start would be better.

I'll check out Dorians routine, thanks.
                I realize that but I wanted to make it clear that one SS is not DC (for those new to the forum). Just because DC trains someone, does not make it "DC"

But I would think doing two or three exercises per bodypart to concentric failure would be a nice balance. You'll get variety in angles and can have different rep ranges for each. You still need to force adaptation and create the metabolic stress, mechanical tension and muscular damage needed to grow, so consider doing multiple exercises to failure to create that stimulus. Don't sell yourself short on your recovery ability and ability to make progress...
                Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Thanks.

Yeah I still try to beat the log book every time, that is the essence of my routine. Perhaps one extra, lighter set (but still to failure) can bust me through the plateau? I don't want to just change routines because of a 1 month plateau. I was making great gains, they just halted.
                  Whenever I hear someone say "plateau" I don't think routine, I think diet. That is based on my own experiences. How solid is your meal plan?

Comment

I realize that but I wanted to make it clear that one SS is not DC (for those new to the forum). Just because DC trains someone, does not make it "DC"

But I would think doing two or three exercises per bodypart to concentric failure would be a nice balance. You'll get variety in angles and can have different rep ranges for each. You still need to force adaptation and create the metabolic stress, mechanical tension and muscular damage needed to grow, so consider doing multiple exercises to failure to create that stimulus. Don't sell yourself short on your recovery ability and ability to make progress...
                    That sounds like a good idea.

I just realized, on the movements that aren't stalled, I have been doing 2 per body part. The movements that are stalled have only been getting the same one movement with one set to failure.

My upper day is like this: I warm up on each movement and hit one set to failure.

Chest: DB Bench (stalled)
                    Back: Pullups (not stalled)
                    Shlders: Seated Military (big time stalled)
                    Back: Reverse grip chest supp rows (not stalled)
                    Tris: Incline Skulls (stalled)
                    Bis: Incline DB Bench (stalled)

Legs
                    Quads: DB Lunges (never stalls, literally make progress every workout)
                    Hams: RDLs (not stalled)
                    Quads: Leg Extensions (not stalled)
                    Hans: Leg Curls (not stalled)
                    I throw in abs and calves too, but I don't take it too seriously.

I wonder if dropping military press for an incline bench, and adding one more tri and one more bi movement is the ticket.
                    Last edited by SkinnyMike42; 11-22-2013, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Whenever I hear someone say "plateau" I don't think routine, I think diet. That is based on my own experiences. How solid is your meal plan?

It's maintenance + just enough to gain 1-2 lbs a month. I am well past my newbie stages and I am past the point where I let my self get fat just to be able to move more weight.

I am trying to get stronger while keeping my weight gain very slow, that is my goal.

I have been up to 250 before and it's just so easy to get fat and strong and make 10 lb jumps every week on every thing, but then you diet back down and lose it all anyway, so what's the point?

My pressing has always been bad though. I attribute that to my height, I am 6'5".

Comment

It's maintenance + just enough to gain 1-2 lbs a month. I am well past my newbie stages and I am past the point where I let my self get fat just to be able to move more weight.

I am trying to get stronger while keeping my weight gain very slow, that is my goal.

I have been up to 250 before and it's just so easy to get fat and strong and make 10 lb jumps every week on every thing, but then you diet back down and lose it all anyway, so what's the point?

My pressing has always been bad though. I attribute that to my height, I am 6'5".
                        OK. Just threw that out there because that is the thing that always hurt my progress the most. I'm almost 6 foot 2 so I feel your pain. I just got to the point where I threw out exercises that were not good for me.

I mentioned the rep goal scheme. Here is a sample of what I do.
                        Exercise:
                        Incline DB Press
                        Weight: 85 pound DBs (warm up not to failure)
                        Set 1: 85x12, 2 min rest
                        Set 2: 85x9, 2 min rest
                        Set 3: 85x7, 2 min rest
                        Set 4: 85x5
                        Total 85x33 reps. My goal is 35 reps over the course of 4 well timed sets. I would like to do 12, 10, 8, 6 for 36 reps and beat my goal of 35.

Next time I do this exercise I can:
                        -attempt 85 pounds again
                        -go back to the 80 pounders and build some strength/endurance
                        -try the 90s and get a lower number of reps but build some strength so next time I try 85s I should get it.

The whole idea is beating the log book just like DC but in a much different way. Your rep goal and time in between sets, number of sets can all vary based on your goals and how you like to train.
                        Bottom line is it is progressive.

Comment

OK. Just threw that out there because that is the thing that always hurt my progress the most. I'm almost 6 foot 2 so I feel your pain. I just got to the point where I threw out exercises that were not good for me.

I mentioned the rep goal scheme. Here is a sample of what I do.
                          Exercise:
                          Incline DB Press
                          Weight: 85 pound DBs (warm up not to failure)
                          Set 1: 85x12, 2 min rest
                          Set 2: 85x9, 2 min rest
                          Set 3: 85x7, 2 min rest
                          Set 4: 85x5
                          Total 85x33 reps. My goal is 35 reps over the course of 4 well timed sets. I would like to do 12, 10, 8, 6 for 36 reps and beat my goal of 35.

Next time I do this exercise I can:
                          -attempt 85 pounds again
                          -go back to the 80 pounders and build some strength/endurance
                          -try the 90s and get a lower number of reps but build some strength so next time I try 85s I should get it.

The whole idea is beating the log book just like DC but in a much different way. Your rep goal and time in between sets, number of sets can all vary based on your goals and how you like to train.
                          Bottom line is it is progressive.
                          Cool man thanks. Just another way to progress. I could time the sets and just count total reps.

I think I like that idea better than adding exercises.

Comment

Cool man thanks. Just another way to progress. I could time the sets and just count total reps.

I think I like that idea better than adding exercises.
                            I train each body part less frequently than you would doing DC BUT more than once every 7 days. Usually whatever I train on Sunday, I do again on Friday.

Body Part Split
                            -Chest, Delts
                            -Triceps, Biceps/forearms
                            -Hams, Quads
                            -Back, calves, abs
                            (sometimes I put triceps with chest/delts and biceps with legs depending on my weekly schedule)

Comment

I train each body part less frequently than you would doing DC BUT more than once every 7 days. Usually whatever I train on Sunday, I do again on Friday.

Body Part Split
                              -Chest, Delts
                              -Triceps, Biceps/forearms
                              -Hams, Quads
                              -Back, calves, abs
                              (sometimes I put triceps with chest/delts and biceps with legs depending on my weekly schedule)
                              4 days in a row split, or every other, or what?

I am just on a 3 day now because of time constraints. I have been working 11-12 hr days recently, and don't have the energy to be going 5 days a week anymore.

I find the 3 day high intensity routines to be more fun anyway though.

Comment

Working...
                              X