DC on the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC on the road

Apologies if this has been asked/answered. I did search.

My job requires travel to a variety of locations. This means that I can end up having access to facilities that are equal or better than that at home (so no issue) through to simple, isolated hotels that might have one of those Universal station machines at best.

Aside from doing my best with what I have access to, any tips around DC training from any of our frequent flyers when you're stuck somewhere with less that optimal facilities?

Cheers
    Troponin Athlete
    "My methods arent for the weekend quarterback and they sure arent for the beginning lifter, they never have and never will be. This is for hardcore bodybuilders ONLY, lets get that straight right here and now" - the Kayser Soze of bodybuilding
    My wife holds bands tied around the head board...then I pull on her hips. It still doesn't work well but I like the view - Future 6 October 2008

Set up your blast with exercises that you can do pretty much anywhere. Lots of BB and DB movements

Sometimes life is not conducive to a specific style of training. DC may be a great routine but if you are not able to do it as prescribed, it becomes less than optimal and there may be better options.

Another thing to consider is nutrition. Traveling so frequently tends to limit the ability to get adequate meals and the right nutrient combinations and limits supplementation that would be required (or preferred) in order to optimally recover and grow.
    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
    2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Thanks. Most of my travel tends to be the 1 or 2 day thing. For longer stints work tends to come to the party in ponying up for a good gym. More looking at the really short term stuff where the choice is making do with what's there or missing a session
      Troponin Athlete
      "My methods arent for the weekend quarterback and they sure arent for the beginning lifter, they never have and never will be. This is for hardcore bodybuilders ONLY, lets get that straight right here and now" - the Kayser Soze of bodybuilding
      My wife holds bands tied around the head board...then I pull on her hips. It still doesn't work well but I like the view - Future 6 October 2008

Comment

Originally posted by Tight Five View Post
        Thanks. Most of my travel tends to be the 1 or 2 day thing. For longer stints work tends to come to the party in ponying up for a good gym. More looking at the really short term stuff where the choice is making do with what's there or missing a session
        Well if you are always going to be gym to gym, how are you going to be able to beat your logbook if the exercises keep changing? I am intentionally being balck and white here... You have exercises that are chosen and are to be used until you stall...that is part of DC. I am not saying what you would have to do would prevent progression, but constantly changing exercises is not DC.

With that in mind, you can really do anything when you are on the road, but giving you options as to what exercises isn't really valid because we don't know what you are working with.... and why you would opt to skip a workout when you have a CHOICE to train (not because it would pose a logistical issue or you are burned out or need rest, but a CHOICE) or not isn't even an option in my mind (if it means anything to you. if you are just a recreational lifter, then so what)...
        Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

For what it's worth you may want to look into 5/3/1... It's brutal many here have excellent advice about it... And it's VERY basic and will be hard (you will be sore as hell) and most gyms have a rack and a barbell along with a chin up bar and bells and cables..... Which is more than enough for this... You'll no doubt grow because it's focus is the core lifts if your eating to gain( and if you ever go back to DC later if circumstances change or you get your schedule down to where you know what available in what areas... Shot in the dark if you repeat trips out of town to set places... You could set up a blast that would be conducive to your travel and you'll no doubt be better at DC for having crushed the big lifts in this system and the assistance exercises can be set up for YOUR needs...

Mental is dead on... Sometimes DC needs to be a back burner deal til you can get everything OPTIMAL... (It's hard to imagine doing anything but DC after you've used it I know)

Jus my .02 cents... Had a lot of good guys on really push this program. I'm early in the process but it's def a brutal system... But to each there own
          DC_catholic315
          Light-heavyweight Member
          Last edited by DC_catholic315; 11-06-2013, 11:50 PM.
          I see you didn't take a s#!t before deadlifting....
          I too like to live dangerously

Comment

Was more trying to mention the 5/3/1 deal...
            DC_catholic315
            Light-heavyweight Member
            Last edited by DC_catholic315; 11-06-2013, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Maybe I should have been clearer. I am not always travelling. It is occasional, and if/when I do miss workouts its not by choice.

I think the point of what I was asking has been completely missed here so I'll re-ask.

"My job requires occasional travel to a variety of locations. This means that I can end up having access to facilities that are equal or better than that at home (so no issue) through to simple, isolated hotels that might have one of those Universal station machines at best.

Aside from doing my best with what I have access to, any tips around DC training from any of our frequent flyers when you're stuck somewhere with less that optimal facilities?"

95% of the time I'm training hard in the same gym in my home town. My most recent bracket of travel involved me using a gym that had everything I needed, which is most often the case
              Tight Five
              Heavyweight Member
              Last edited by Tight Five; 11-07-2013, 12:01 AM.
              Troponin Athlete

Comment

Less than optimal would mean? Lack of machines? D bells that are too light? Hard to imagine a gym without adequate equip lol (EDIT as I meant this as sarcasm....But can see from the wording it was confusing my bad....Not much sugg for the hotel gym though... Jus a gym that maybe didn't have the exact stuff you needed...)

There are techniques like the 50 rep leg press Dante outlined in older posts you could do in a pinch on leg day if it was hack squat or smith squat day and those weren't available...

Maybe the next rotation for your next workout is available so you swap the moves? To keep progressing... I've done that a time or two when my gym got slammed in like January then jus pick up the previous next time (prolly have to take into account lower back fatigue)
                At least this way you'd be progressing ... IMO doing the best you can will make you the best you can be

I believe Dante covered the if your beat up and jus skip a training day in an older thread as well can't remember what it said exactly...I'd search that one out

It was previouslybmentioned already about basing free wt moves being your basis in your blast.. That'd help too with having things available... Also some machine leverages even from model to model will occasionally be diffrent so that may skew your wts (hacks and leg presses def come to mind) But with planning and dilegence you could pull it off...
                I'm far from a expert so there jus suggestions but i could see how it could be doable...
                DC_catholic315
                Light-heavyweight Member
                Last edited by DC_catholic315; 11-07-2013, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Again jus suggestions for being in a pinch...

Comment

OK, I follow now... so it is only a small percentage you will have less than optimal facilities...gotcha.

I disagree with the dude above doing that one liner thing after every post about gyms not having adequate equipment. Shit, I have to go to another gym than my normal gym to do DB bench because they only go up to 100's... So I know what you are talking about and when traveling, knowing a where a gym is that has the weights needed can be an issue.

So if you are stuck with lighter weights / poor equipment AND NOT in need of a break (like you are blasting strong and don't want to kill the momentum) then you may need to break from your DC program for that session. Yes, it will fuck up your logbook, but when the train is going full steam down the track, do get in the way and try to stop it. Let it roll... So maybe you can do pre-exhaustion techniques, take reps super slow, use a lot of volume or simply get really creative.

When I travel I never leave without a set of good bands. You can use light DBs with the bands attached then when you reach failure, rep out with the DBs, then just the bands (or vice versa). You can also do RP sets this way. You can do various DB movements like this for many, many bodyparts.

If you know about our travel in advance, you can also adjust training for that week. Rather then going M-W-F, say Tues-Thurs-Sat, then go back to normal after.

Legs are one of the toughest areas to hit because the amount of weight that is often needed to stimulate growth. If there is a store you can buy bags of sand or a landscaping company or constructions company, you can get bags of concrete, sand or stone and do zercher squats holding the bags. You can also put them on your shoulders and do regular squats, luinges, split squats, bulgarian split squats, jump squats, side lunges, and sissy squats. I've done this and it can actually be done on premises lol Imagine going into home depot and doing this shit! lol I also used paint cans to do curls and lateral raises and those big buckets of sheetrock to do things like upright rows and you can do "db" rows with them by standing on something high enough and doing rows.

If you want to train, you'll find a way

2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Working...
                    X