DC app

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC app

I was planning on creating a free web app which would let you plan your DC routine, select exercises, track your workouts, and get some data visualization of your progress.

If I made this, would you use it? What would you like to see included in the app? What's the most annoying thing you've found when creating a DC plan and tracking it?

Dantes spidey senses are tingling"no fcking apps argggghhhhh"

Comment

Why limit it to just DC? I'm the only person in my gym that has even heard of DC. Broaden your audience. An app that could be taylored/customized to and by the individual would be better. However, I for one prefer my low-tech binder.
      Fixing boats and lifting weights. Boat trouble? PM me.

Tom

Comment

I agree Ogre, an app which let you choose which program you were following would be better. However, when you want to make a big system, it's better to start smaller and get one thing 100% right, then move on to the next piece. This way you can apply any insights learned from the first iteration.

I'm about to start a DC blast and I would personally use the app if it were well made, and so that's where I'm starting.

Comment

I would think you would need the permission of Dante to create an app on his program. Especially if you were making money off of it. But if done correctly, I could see it being a benefit perhaps. Or making it more confusing to those who are already not following the program correctly.
          2005 HOA Natural Classic
          2006 OCB Midwest
          2007 ABA Natural Illinois
          2008 HOA Natural Classic
          NPC Mid-Illinois
          NPC Midwest Open
          NPC Natural Grand Prix
          2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
          USPA Illinois State
          NGA Heart of America
          NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

Call me old school but I love the logbook ;-)
            [http://www.truenutrition.com

-discount code: ADA774-

Buy the highest quality protein and other supplements at the lowest prices.
            Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

Originally posted by mister69 View Post
              Call me old school but I love the logbook ;-)
              There is just something very special about seeing my handwriting get worse and worse throughout my workout.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by breck View Post
                I would think you would need the permission of Dante to create an app on his program. Especially if you were making money off of it. But if done correctly, I could see it being a benefit perhaps. Or making it more confusing to those who are already not following the program correctly.
                Go tell that to wendler.

Some guy made a 5/3/1 app then added a 5x5 program to it.

Wendler isn't getting paid anything from it.

Don't know if the guy is making any money, but it is a free app to download.

Comment

IMO, the intricacies that must be taken into consideration when designing the app would be incredibly difficult to reflect. And the app would take away to requisite learning and experience one should have before being able to do DC properly. Just because you have multiple shoulder exercises to select from doesn't mean they are good for that day based on previous exercises and other exercises performed that day. You would essentially have to go through a flowchart in creating the plan to ensure the masses don't f-up what DC is about.

I am just seeing little BB.com boys seeing the app and picking like 3 machine presses from chest, similar tricep exercises, adding in taxing back exercises before heavy squats...etc..etc

For someone that knows what DC is about, a tool that allows for one to track progress visually and such would be cool, but an app, unless a whole system of checks and balances was built into the backbone, would really only be useful for the person creating it or someone that already knows how to design a DC program.
                  Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                  2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                  2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by -AJA14- View Post
                    Go tell that to wendler.

Some guy made a 5/3/1 app then added a 5x5 program to it.

Wendler isn't getting paid anything from it.

Don't know if the guy is making any money, but it is a free app to download.
                    I'm pretty sure he is aware, and what I read...was not happy about it. The apps may be free, but I am guessing the major app creators get money from ad space, sponsors, etc.
                    2005 HOA Natural Classic
                    2006 OCB Midwest
                    2007 ABA Natural Illinois
                    2008 HOA Natural Classic
                    NPC Mid-Illinois
                    NPC Midwest Open
                    NPC Natural Grand Prix
                    2012 NGA Clash of the Titans
                    USPA Illinois State
                    NGA Heart of America
                    NGA Clash of the Titans

SAVE 5% ON YOUR NEXT ORDER FROM www.truenutrition.com order - Use Code RHB606

Comment

Just to be clear, I'm not looking to gain a single cent from the app, it's a side hobby project. I enjoy working on these things, and the only benefit I'd gain is perhaps more people checking out my work if they found this project useful. All credit to program creation would be going to Dante, with links to this site urging new users to read the content here first and foremost.

You bring up very good points about novices haphazardly choosing exercises from the given selection. Maybe keep track of secondary muscle groups the exercises will hit, and warn the user if a certain group is being overly taxed?

I don't think it's necessarily a weakness of a software approach to the problem, and could in fact be a strength compared to the more traditional paper and pen method, since you could create those checks to help ensure a good blast.

What other factors do you guys consider when creating a new blast?

Comment

I use the free version of JEFIT app for smart phones. It works great! It allows you to choose everything. Exercises, reps, sets, routines, tracks progress by calender logs (actual sets&reps) and charts by graph (based on 1 RM, which is the only chart offered and is the only thing that annoys me...), and syncs with their website so your info will never be lost. That being said I would give your app a shot...

Comment

I would send Dante an email out of common courtesy before you move forward. After all, It is his name on it.
                          2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

I'm a technophile. I wrote an "app" to program out periodized trainign programs back in the 90's using Excel macros.

I wrote my own Filemaker Pro based intake and treatment "notebook" integrated with acupoint, herb and herbal formula databases that I've used clinically with acupuncture clients. I set up my own discussion board using myBB from scratch (not a single webmaster class), designed a database for student attendance and transcripts for an acupuncture school, etc., etc., etc...

All that being said, I don't think I'd ever use a phone or tablet based app to log my OWN workouts, although that might change. I've considered this dozens of times over the years...

When *I* am training, I've got chalk, sweat, plates, collars, my belt and all sorts of shit gettin' flopped around. The last thing I really want to do is mess with an expensive piece of electronics that I'm getting chalky, rusty and sweaty. Secondary to a paper log book, I'd rather have a chalk board or a place on the wall where I scribble notes over a phone, tablet, etc.

Now, if I'm the trainer and want to log a trainee's info. that's a bit different...

(Only exception would be using one of those ruggedized military tablets with a 7+inch screen and big ass font. Maybe set the app up to randomly put bad ass pics of Ronnie, Dorian, Capt. Kirk, Coan, and various other bad-ass mofo's as background and that might be cool. Integrate it with a bluetooth based music player that integrates with iTunes or what have you and sell a cheapo but functional bluetooth head set and then maybe we're talkin'... But a little $300+ phone, I dunno...)

ADD: "If you're capable of sending a legible text message between sets, you probably aren't working hard enough." -Dave Tate (http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...ections_part_2)
                            -S
                            Last edited by homonunculus; 09-09-2013, 09:35 PM.
                            The Book Has Arrived!
                            The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                            2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                            2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

I don't know how popular a DC only app would be but I know a logbook and a meal planner would go to use for the people at gyms they wouldn't need their old outdated planners.

Comment

Working...
                              X