Getting older

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting older

As a long time lurker whos also been out of the game for a while (had 2 years out of the gym and have now been back at it for 18months and refound my love for DC style training) I have afew questions for the over 40 guys amongst us.

Im sure most of this has been covered before but like I say, ive been away from the boards for a while!

Ive read the thread by DC for everybody over 34 and have upped the reps accordingly.

However, what else do you guys do to keep joints loose and healthy and injury free?

Im asking about all aspects here, from supplements that you feel help, any creams/balms you may use on knees/elbows etc, to how many warm ups you tend to, stretching (including DC stretches), using wraps etc.

Im in the unfortunate situation where im battling Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (the reason I was out of the gym for 2 years) which doesn't worry me so much as I can work round it and monitor my rest, but I also have to put up with Fybromyelgia (constant muscular and joint aches and pains which come and go but never clear up fully) so im really looking for all and any tips for the above.

Thanks guys

Stew
    Some people are so afraid of dying they never actually start living.

Hey Stew. Welcome to "Middle Age"! Ha. I am 44 currently and have some joint pain myself, especially in the hips, knees and lower back. Here are a few things that I have done to help deal with it.
    1. TK bands for the knees to keep them warm on leg and back (deads) day.
    2. More reps as you have mentioned you already did. (Over 34 thread)
    3. Cissus Quadrangularis supplements (works way better than Glucosamine and Chondroitin supps IMO).
    4. Sweatpants and sweatshirts (winter and summer) in the gym to help keep joints warm.
    5. Proper hydration and Intra-workout nutrition (BCAAs, carbs, Glutamine, creatine, etc..)
    6. ***More recovery time between workouts (maybe adding an extra day here or there between workouts when I am feeling my ass is being kicked).******
    7. Melatonin or sleep supps to help with deeper sleep and better recovery.

I have had pretty good luck with these changes/additions. Most days I feel 25, some days I feel 65! Ha. Good luck, keep grinding away... we are not THAT old yet! LOL!

Max
    "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Comment

Originally posted by MaxNat View Post
      1. TK bands for the knees to keep them warm on leg and back (deads) day.

3. Cissus Quadrangularis supplements (works way better than Glucosamine and Chondroitin supps IMO).

I have had pretty good luck with these changes/additions. Most days I feel 25, some days I feel 65! Ha. Good luck, keep grinding away... we are not THAT old yet! LOL!

Max
      Thanks for the input Max, and MAN do I no of the 25/65 feeling you speak of! haha

2 questions, how tight are your knee bands?

And how much do you think the Cissus really helps? I ran it for around 6 weeks but never really felt an improvement so gave up on it. Glucosimine and high dosages has also had no effects and ive now been running that for months - guess il have to pick up a decent all round joint formula!?

Comment

I ran Cissus at pretty high doses and it did take awhile to build up before I felt much relief, and don't get me wrong, it is not a miracle supp, but I do feel worse when I am off it.
        My TK knee bands are the mediums I think, they are pretty tight and they were a bear to get on until I found a video on Youtube of some guy putting them on inside out and upside down, then flipping the top inch or two inward, then pulling them on... works like a dream! Search it out on Youtube if you can. Good luck. Also, you may want to search on here for Scott's (Homonun) ointments and heating oils. I know a few guys on here swear by them for joint pain. Kwan oil I think??
        "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

Comment

Kwan Loong Oil ,, great stuff to use when the aches and pains start kicking in or as a general warm up

http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Peace-K.../dp/B000Y1S94E

and welcome back!!
          "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
          2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
          2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
          2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
          2002 NPC Western Carolina:
          2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Comment

heres my 2 cents (will be 44 in 3 weeks) I train hard most of the time but i very rarely ever train to failure esp on the big multi-joint exercises.

for example if i could do one balls to the wall set of inclines with 275 for 7 seven reps with maybe a tiny bit of help on the last rep i would much rather do 4x4 with the same 275. Hear me out here....on the 1x7 only my first 4 reps are probably picture perfect in form and as the set goes on the form deteriorates a little bit AND the reps get slower (less force production) with the 4x4 out of the 16 reps completed probably 12 are perfect with with an explosive tempo....that first set feels somewhat easy but i compensate by using an explosive tempo with really good control (controlled negative, slight pause, explode)

sometimes i DO want to go to failure but i find myself making steady progress liek this and not getting hurt nearly as much
            Last edited by trucelt; 09-06-2013, 09:04 PM.
            '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
            17 AAU Super Total
            '16-AAU Hi
            '15-USPA Metro
            '15-USPA State
            '15-AAU HI
            '14-AAU HI
            '14-USPA Metro
            '14-WABDL Sonny's
            '14-USPA State
            '14-HI Strongman
            '13-USPA
            '13-WABDL Sonny's
            '13-USPA State
            '13-AAU HI
            '11-USPA Metro
            '10-NPC Stingrey
            '09-NPC Islands
            '09-NPC Stingrey
            '09-ABA Islands
            '02-ABA Islands
            '02-ABA IronWorks
            '01-NPC Paradise Cup
            '01-ABA Olympia
            '01-ABA Islands
            '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
            '00-INBF Musclefest
            '98-NGA Ill
            '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

I thought i saw Dante talk about glycerol and electrolytes to keep joint in the good, but i could be wrong. All i remember of the post is a quote " a bloated Dante is a happy Dante". I wanted to know more of what he uses or used to keep his joints healthy!

Comment

x2 Kwan Loong Oil, warms and soothes sore joints.

Comment

Originally posted by v1hyp View Post
                  Kwan Loong Oil ,, great stuff to use when the aches and pains start kicking in or as a general warm up

http://www.amazon.com/Prince-Peace-K.../dp/B000Y1S94E

and welcome back!!
                  Thanks dude.

Funnily enough I saw the stuff on Dave Henrys DVD and ordered some the other day! Im still waiting on delivery but its good to no it gets some thumbs up from you guys!!:roll:

Comment

Originally posted by trucelt View Post
                    heres my 2 cents (will be 44 in 3 weeks) I train hard most of the time but i very rarely ever train to failure esp on the big multi-joint exercises.

for example if i could do one balls to the wall set of inclines with 275 for 7 seven reps with maybe a tiny bit of help on the last rep i would much rather do 4x4 with the same 275. Hear me out here....on the 1x7 only my first 4 reps are probably picture perfect in form and as the set goes on the form deteriorates a little bit AND the reps get slower (less force production) with the 4x4 out of the 16 reps completed probably 12 are perfect with with an explosive tempo....that first set feels somewhat easy but i compensate by using an explosive tempo with really good control (controlled negative, slight pause, explode)

sometimes i DO want to go to failure but i find myself making steady progress liek this and not getting hurt nearly as much
                    Sounds like a good idea for the 2 week download/cruise period, how long do you tend to rest between sets?

Comment

Originally posted by Indianpower View Post
                      I thought i saw Dante talk about glycerol and electrolytes to keep joint in the good, but i could be wrong. All i remember of the post is a quote " a bloated Dante is a happy Dante". I wanted to know more of what he uses or used to keep his joints healthy!
                      I read a few posts where Dante and massive g talk about adding sea salt and gycerol tot he gallon jug.
                      [http://www.truenutrition.com

-discount code: ADA774-

Buy the highest quality protein and other supplements at the lowest prices.
                      Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

Originally posted by anabolic2k View Post
                        Thanks dude.

Funnily enough I saw the stuff on Dave Henrys DVD and ordered some the other day! Im still waiting on delivery but its good to no it gets some thumbs up from you guys!!:roll:
                        Interesting enough,, that's where I was introduced to it as well. Must have seen it on the same dvd!!
                        "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
                        2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
                        2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
                        2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
                        2002 NPC Western Carolina:
                        2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Comment

Anabolic this wouldnt be any good for a cruise..the weights are too heavy....regardelss of whether im doing 1 all out set or 4 volume sets the weight is still 80-85% of my 1RM. Plus the fact that im exploding teh weight (compensatory acceleration) im having a high power output.

i need deload from these kinds of workouts.....and i just used 4 sets as an arbitrary number it could 5-6 sets
                          '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
                          17 AAU Super Total
                          '16-AAU Hi
                          '15-USPA Metro
                          '15-USPA State
                          '15-AAU HI
                          '14-AAU HI
                          '14-USPA Metro
                          '14-WABDL Sonny's
                          '14-USPA State
                          '14-HI Strongman
                          '13-USPA
                          '13-WABDL Sonny's
                          '13-USPA State
                          '13-AAU HI
                          '11-USPA Metro
                          '10-NPC Stingrey
                          '09-NPC Islands
                          '09-NPC Stingrey
                          '09-ABA Islands
                          '02-ABA Islands
                          '02-ABA IronWorks
                          '01-NPC Paradise Cup
                          '01-ABA Olympia
                          '01-ABA Islands
                          '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
                          '00-INBF Musclefest
                          '98-NGA Ill
                          '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

A couple things I've learned:
                            -Warming up is absurdly important for maximum performance and overall safety. I get blood flowing on the treadmill before I even get started, not to mention preparing for an exercise.
                            -Flexibility and mobility are essential for injury prevention. Not only do I consistently do extreme stretches, after a session I do lots of mobility work.
                            -As MaxNat mentioned, staying hydrated is very important, for numerous reasons.
                            -I use the SHIT out of neoprene joint sleeves for warmth. They don't provide much support or aid in lifts, but the extra warmth and slight tightness make my joints feel much better.
                            -Likewise, since my wrists are pretty awful, I wear wrist wraps when I need the support.
                            Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                            kind of a douche

Comment

Do u guys add sea salt and glycerol to your water jug?
                              [http://www.truenutrition.com

-discount code: ADA774-

Buy the highest quality protein and other supplements at the lowest prices.
                              Save 5% on all orders.

Comment

Working...
                              X