Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

straight sets vs rest-pause

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • straight sets vs rest-pause

    Just wanted to ask the following. Does Rest-Pausing have any advantages over traiditonal straight sets where you do a set and then rest for 2-5 minutes and get back at it again? Do rest-pauses stimulate more muscle fibers?

  • #2
    Originally posted by 7asssa7 View Post
    Just wanted to ask the following. Does Rest-Pausing have any advantages over traiditonal straight sets where you do a set and then rest for 2-5 minutes and get back at it again? Do rest-pauses stimulate more muscle fibers?
    Let me ask you this? Would the system be based around Rest Pause if it didn't have advantages?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by RobbHensel View Post
      Let me ask you this? Would the system be based around Rest Pause if it didn't have advantages?
      But what are the advantages? I respect the idea behind the system. But what I am not sure about is what the advantages are.

      There have been studies that showed that short rest periods are inferior to longer rest periods in terms of hypertrophy/strength gains. DC utilizes exceptionally short rest intervals.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 7asssa7 View Post
        But what are the advantages? I respect the idea behind the system. But what I am not sure about is what the advantages are.

        There have been studies that showed that short rest periods are inferior to longer rest periods in terms of hypertrophy/strength gains. DC utilizes exceptionally short rest intervals.
        Pleas present the studies. Without looking at the context of the studies it is impossible to know if they are even applicable.

        But how can you simply look at rest-pause versus straight sets? You need to look at the entire system. With rest-pause a la DC you are inducing sufficient muscular damage to stimulate hypertrophy given adequate nutrition but because of the reduced volume you are able to train more frequently. It is induce damage, repair, grow, and repeat. The more cycles of this you have occurring the more opportunity for growth.

        Additionally, you have to look at how the stimulus is being applied t the muscle, the level of muscular fatigue, the variation in reps and load, angles, and techniques.

        You can't focus on one aspect of a program without looking at the big picture.
        Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

        Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

        2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
        2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
        2015 Beat Cancer!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
          Pleas present the studies. Without looking at the context of the studies it is impossible to know if they are even applicable.

          But how can you simply look at rest-pause versus straight sets? You need to look at the entire system. With rest-pause a la DC you are inducing sufficient muscular damage to stimulate hypertrophy given adequate nutrition but because of the reduced volume you are able to train more frequently. It is induce damage, repair, grow, and repeat. The more cycles of this you have occurring the more opportunity for growth.

          Additionally, you have to look at how the stimulus is being applied t the muscle, the level of muscular fatigue, the variation in reps and load, angles, and techniques.

          You can't focus on one aspect of a program without looking at the big picture.

          http://bjsportmed.com/content/36/5/370.full
          http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16095405

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
            Pleas present the studies. Without looking at the context of the studies it is impossible to know if they are even applicable.

            But how can you simply look at rest-pause versus straight sets? You need to look at the entire system. With rest-pause a la DC you are inducing sufficient muscular damage to stimulate hypertrophy given adequate nutrition but because of the reduced volume you are able to train more frequently. It is induce damage, repair, grow, and repeat. The more cycles of this you have occurring the more opportunity for growth.

            Additionally, you have to look at how the stimulus is being applied t the muscle, the level of muscular fatigue, the variation in reps and load, angles, and techniques.

            You can't focus on one aspect of a program without looking at the big picture.

            Sir, but you can also train with lower volume and higher frequency by doing straight sets? My confusion comes from the difference between 3 sets of 6-8 reps vs 1 exercise performed DC style

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 7asssa7 View Post
              Sir, but you can also train with lower volume and higher frequency by doing straight sets? My confusion comes from the difference between 3 sets of 6-8 reps vs 1 exercise performed DC style
              So train that way.
              Lee Salado, E.P.A.S.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 7asssa7 View Post
                Sir, but you can also train with lower volume and higher frequency by doing straight sets? My confusion comes from the difference between 3 sets of 6-8 reps vs 1 exercise performed DC style
                C'mon man, no need for the condescending "sir" as I didn't do that to you...

                I didn't read the studies yet but will later. I'm going to give you my perspective on this based on things I've read and experienced. So this is just an opinion or hypothesis if you and is welcome to questioning...

                So lets say we are looking at three sets performed with straight sets (SS) and one RP set for the sake of the argument since that was how you presented it above. With SS you are recovering between each set. Hormones, nutrients, oxygen...etc. are all at work. You repeat the set and the sme muscle fibers are being stimulated, maybe a few more are recruited.

                With RP, you are reaching failure and not allowing enough time to recover and you are forcing your body to activate more muscle fibers to perform the contraction.

                So for an analogy, lets say after one SS you dig a hole a foot deep and then after resting the hole is filled 8 to 10 inches. The next set you dig down another foot, but you are only 2-4 inches below where you were last hole. Again you fill it back up 8 - 10 inches and then on the third set dig down another foot, this would put you between 1'4" and 1'8", right? Now with RP, you dig down that foot and can't really fill it back up, maybe an inch or two and on each subsequent RP set you dig down deeper and deeper.

                That is my take on it....
                Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

                Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

                2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                2015 Beat Cancer!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                  C'mon man, no need for the condescending "sir" as I didn't do that to you...
                  IIRC from his past posts, that "Sir" wasn't condescending; he was attempting to be respectful.

                  Also doing rest-pause sets makes you feel like a huge badass.
                  Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                  kind of a douche

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                    IIRC from his past posts, that "Sir" wasn't condescending; he was attempting to be respectful.

                    Also doing rest-pause sets makes you feel like a huge badass.
                    In that case my bad and ignore the comment. We all know there are some smart asses that will come on here and use "sir" as I assumed.
                    Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

                    Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

                    2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                    2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                    2015 Beat Cancer!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I don't get why everyone asks these rediculous questions constantly . Train one way for six months then train the other and compare notes why does anyone have to tell you the advantages, do your own leg work.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by RobbHensel View Post
                        I don't get why everyone asks these rediculous questions constantly . Train one way for six months then train the other and compare notes why does anyone have to tell you the advantages, do your own leg work.
                        There's a fine line between wanting to know and over-analyzing. It makes sense to question why something works, even if you're just curious. The problem is when you get stuck in "paralysis by analysis".

                        7asssa7, there are very good reasons why Dante set up the "protocol" (for lack of a better term) the way he did. I think if you dug through some stickies and old posts on here you could find the answers.
                        Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                        kind of a douche

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I agree with Sammich (but hear what you're saying Robb). These are some good questions, 7assa7, but:

                          The first study didn't evaluate muscle growth, only strength, in UNTRAINED subjects trained for only 9 weeks (when strength gains are predominantly, albeit not entirely, neurological). (Moritani and DeVries, 1979 for a good ref. on this.)

                          The 2nd study compares 2 min vs. 5 min rest intervals, a far cry from the 12-15 breaths of a rest-pause set, so there's an applicability (external validity) issue with that study.

                          --------------------

                          If you dig around I've addressed motor unit activation during a RP set a few times over the years.

                          -S
                          The Book Has Arrived!
                          The Book Has Arrived!

                          Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"


                          www.TrueNutrition.com

                          2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                          2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                          2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                            C'mon man, no need for the condescending "sir" as I didn't do that to you...

                            I didn't read the studies yet but will later. I'm going to give you my perspective on this based on things I've read and experienced. So this is just an opinion or hypothesis if you and is welcome to questioning...

                            So lets say we are looking at three sets performed with straight sets (SS) and one RP set for the sake of the argument since that was how you presented it above. With SS you are recovering between each set. Hormones, nutrients, oxygen...etc. are all at work. You repeat the set and the sme muscle fibers are being stimulated, maybe a few more are recruited.

                            With RP, you are reaching failure and not allowing enough time to recover and you are forcing your body to activate more muscle fibers to perform the contraction.

                            So for an analogy, lets say after one SS you dig a hole a foot deep and then after resting the hole is filled 8 to 10 inches. The next set you dig down another foot, but you are only 2-4 inches below where you were last hole. Again you fill it back up 8 - 10 inches and then on the third set dig down another foot, this would put you between 1'4" and 1'8", right? Now with RP, you dig down that foot and can't really fill it back up, maybe an inch or two and on each subsequent RP set you dig down deeper and deeper.

                            That is my take on it....

                            Honestly, was not trying to offend you. Just showed some respect. These forums I like for being able to talk to someone with respect in order to learn more.

                            Your explanation is very simple, yet explains it all well

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                              I agree with Sammich (but hear what you're saying Robb). These are some good questions, 7assa7, but:

                              The first study didn't evaluate muscle growth, only strength, in UNTRAINED subjects trained for only 9 weeks (when strength gains are predominantly, albeit not entirely, neurological). (Moritani and DeVries, 1979 for a good ref. on this.)

                              The 2nd study compares 2 min vs. 5 min rest intervals, a far cry from the 12-15 breaths of a rest-pause set, so there's an applicability (external validity) issue with that study.

                              --------------------

                              If you dig around I've addressed motor unit activation during a RP set a few times over the years.

                              -S

                              Thank you for replying to the thread. The hormonal advantage of short rest periods has already been proven wrong by recent studies. So then it is all about motor unit activation I guess. Am I right to assume the following:

                              Has it something to do with 'effective reps'. If you do a 3x10 with a weight with a few minutes rest between sets. Every set you are really only getting something out of the last few reps, those are the only reps where the body is recruiting 100% of all available motor units because you are pushing the point of fatigue. Rest-pause/DC training then maximizes these 'effective reps' where you are using ALL the muscle available, and minimize unnecessary reps where you are not getting anything. You might get 10 good, muscle building reps out of a 3x10. If you do a DC rest paused set, the idea is to stay at that barrier where you are pushing fatigue throughout the entire set. This is done by minimizing rest time, at the start of every mini-set you are already fatigued, and the body will recruit all available muscle to compensate. Out of a standard 15 rep DC set you could get 10 'effective reps' but with a MUCH HIGHER weight, making it a much more effective muscle builder, and easier to recover from allowing for more frequency.

                              Am I correct in my thinking? But still, the straight sets built many physiques. The question is whether recruiting those extra muscle fibers via rest-pause is really that much more beneficial/advantageous for hypertrophy

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X