Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seated Calf Raises... and gastroc cramps...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seated Calf Raises... and gastroc cramps...

I just can't seem to get these to work for my DC style... no matter what weight I use by rep 6 I am getting muscle spasms/cramps in my gastroc (most likely due to the fact that the knee is bent so the gastroc is being shortened and is in a position of active insufficiency while the soleus takes over)... Prior to starting DC I was using 4 45s for full range sets of 15-20 reps... now using half that weight I am just cramping up and can't go on...
    I'm not talking about the normal burns and 'makes you want to cry' pain that comes from other calf exercises... this is 'charley horse, muscle completely contracted and balled up in a spasm' type pain...
    Any of you guys run into this and find a way to work around it? I even tried dropping down to just 1 45 on the machine, and I still got the cramps...

Any thoughts?

TrueNutrition.com discount code: AAL229 saves you 5%

Feel free to PM me with injury questions - I'll get back to you soon as I can.

You know I had this same problem but I started taking in more potassium and don't seem to have the problem anymore.

Comment

and water, green tea and multi's. All this may help too!

jim
      ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
      Good luck
      Jimpaul/Newtoketo

EAT BIG, LIFT BIG AND GET BIG...SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN

USE TRUENUTRITION.COM FOR ALL YOUR
      SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!
      TO GET MY DISCOUNT USE Jat338

Comment

Thanks for suggestions guys.

I'm not sure that it is a nutritional issue, as I can get through it on leg press and donkey machine ok...

For the record though I am trying to get down a gallon of water and 2 qts of green tea a day... and I am taking Animal Paks as my 'multi'.

Comment

I don't do Seated Raises, I cannot get the full stretch at the bottom...
          "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

I also wondered if your knees were too far forward. If that could be the cause?

jim
            ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
            Good luck
            Jimpaul/Newtoketo

EAT BIG, LIFT BIG AND GET BIG...SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN

USE TRUENUTRITION.COM FOR ALL YOUR
            SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!
            TO GET MY DISCOUNT USE Jat338

Comment

jp - that could be it... I'll have to play around with that. Makes sense though - the more flexed the knees are the more the gastroc will be on slack, and the more prone to cramping... good call.

IH - haven't really run into that problem - these machines have pretty good clearance for the heel to drop without hitting the ground.

Comment

PT aaron with the suggestions above--take taurine one hour before lifting and let me know if its still happening
                IG is

@dante_trudel

Comment

Thanks for the tip DC... any specific amount that you would suggest?

Also on the potassium suggestion - how much were you taking and when where you taking it USMuscle?

Thanks guys.
                  Last edited by PTAaron; 09-13-2004, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Just an update guys... the seated calf raises came up in the rotation today... I was in a rush, so I didn't have the proper time window to take potassium or taurine before hand (woke up at 7:15, had to leave for the gym at 7:30) ... well anyway, I tried to sit further back on the seat so my knees were not as flexed - and I managed to squeeze out 10 extremely painful reps with the same weight that had been giving me cramps at 6 the past couple of attempts!
                    Thanks again for the suggestions, my calves still feel like they are going to pop and I did the exercise over an hour ago!

Comment

Working...
                    X