Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotating DC and Westside training

Hi all,

I have been thinking and wondered your thoughts on rotating DC training phases and Westside barbell phases.

So can do:

4 week DC blast - aimed at hypertrophy
    1-2 week cruise
    4 week westside barbell - aimed at boosting compounds
    1 week cruise
    Back to DC and so on

My thought behind it was increasing my 1RM max will increase my 8 rep max, so i currently RP 365 flat for 8-3-2 so would guess my 1RM at 405.

And westiside strength training may boost my 1RM to 415 within 4 weeks (obviously the stronger you get the less weight you can go up in within the 4 weeks)

So then when I go back to DC my RP set will look like 380 8-3-2.

I also feel that 1RM can add thickness to the muscle?

any ideas/suggestions appreciated

Thanks

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLW3CFZBdXI#t=0m3s

Comment

Originally posted by Joshlek View Post
      Hi all,

I have been thinking and wondered your thoughts on rotating DC training phases and Westside barbell phases.

So can do:

4 week DC blast - aimed at hypertrophy
      1-2 week cruise
      4 week westside barbell - aimed at boosting compounds
      1 week cruise
      Back to DC and so on
      I'd rather stick with 1 for A LOT longer than just 4 weeks.

Why cut your blasts short if you're making progress?

When you resume your blast, you're gonna have to reset your numbers back a bit anyway and your progress slows.

I mean, Jesus, you're hitting the same exercise only twice in those 4 weeks. THEN you cruise? Say you do machine press 200 x whatever...then you go up to 210 x whatever...cruise...you're gonna go back to 205 x whatever...then 215 x whatever...that really looks like you're gonna make SUPER SLOW progress right from the get-go. I think you're gonna slow your progress down when it really can be avoided by just sticking to 1 program (DC or westside) for a lot longer than 4 weeks.

My thought behind it was increasing my 1RM max will increase my 8 rep max, so i currently RP 365 flat for 8-3-2 so would guess my 1RM at 405.
      I'm having a hard time believing you really do RP 365 for 8-3-2 properly for DC. I'm not calling you a liar I'm just a pessimistic bastard...you can shut me up by putting up a vid. I surmise you are taking a lot longer than the regular 15-breath-count (not DC) OR holding back on the first RP to get more reps on your 2nd and 3rd RP (also not DC...you need to go balls to the wall every set).

Not to mention it's recommended not to bench with DC or if you really want it in, at least bump up rep range.........I'm really having a hard time with you benching 365 properly lol, please shut me up!

And westiside strength training may boost my 1RM to 415 within 4 weeks (obviously the stronger you get the less weight you can go up in within the 4 weeks)

So then when I go back to DC my RP set will look like 380 8-3-2.

I also feel that 1RM can add thickness to the muscle?

any ideas/suggestions appreciated

Thanks
      Assuming you really are that strong, why not get there quicker and just go from 365x8-3-2 to 380x8-3-2 the regular DC route? 1st workout 365...2nd workout 375...3rd workout 380...6 weeks. Again, if you do your plan I think it'll take a whole lot longer.

IMO, when executed properly, DC will add thickness to the muscle quicker than any other program, including your plan.

But then again, I'm just a random on a message board. You can try it out yourself but I think you're gonna see I'm right
      theroymccoy
      Heavyweight Member
      Last edited by theroymccoy; 05-26-2013, 06:25 AM.
      Max Muscle
      5020 Katella Ave.
      Los Alamitos, CA 90720
      www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

West side template and main lifts, DC for assistance work. Just an option.

Comment

Wtf?!?!?
          SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

Originally posted by LG1 View Post
            Wtf?!?!?
            My thoughts exactly lol

To the OP: If you are going to run the DC blast, stick with it longer than 4 weeks. As you progress through your blast you will get into a groove with certain exercises and it seems you gain strength at an increasing rate. Don't cut your blast short, you will be short changing yourself if you do. But also cruise proactively. Don't wait until you feel like a limp noodle to get into your cruise because it will take that much longer to bounce back.

People have been successful rotating DC with things like Mountain Dog training and the results of each one feed the other. And for those who like to change things up rather than just grind away at one training method for a long time, this is a valid option, so I do not see why rotating the two (DC and Westside) would also be effective for helping you reach your goals.
            Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
            2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
            2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

What is your goal?. If you a PL'er just stick with westside. Bodybuilder , DC properly. Like most people your prob in the middle, I say go for it. Will it work out how you think it will in your head ,lol probably not but that's half the fun

Comment

Westside is more of a long term thing, I don't think it would work well at all.

If you want to do both maybe do 3 months of each instead. Lots of strongman / powerlifters will periodize hypertrophy work 3 months per year or 2 x 6 week phases or things like that.
                If it's not hard it's not worth doing...
                http://www.facebook.com/HyperforceStrength <--- Follow Hyperforce on Facebook

2004 National Capital Classic - 2nd Middleweight
                2001 Ottawa Championships - 4th Middleweight
                2000 Ottawa Championships - 12th Middleweight

Comment

Thanks for all replies very helpful,

Seems just 3 months each may be best for my plan which is to get my all 1rm 495+

And to roymccoy , I am nearly 290 and have no reason 2 lie lol

Comment

Hello, I realize this thread is old but I'd like to contribute my opinion (and get 3 posts). I agree whole heartedly with what everyone on the thread has been saying; a 4 week period for either program would not be fulfilling for either strength or hypertrophy. Also, imo for the time being I'd pick a goal (strength or hypertrophy) and stick to that for a significant period of time. A significant period of time to me is what allows you to undergo a vast visual and mental change. From DC surely your insights from watching yourself grow and get stronger over many months will lead you to a better frame of mind to make that call yourself when it is time to switch things up.

I was like you and thinking of switching my program or doubting myself until I met a friend at my university's gym who has been grinding dc training for ~3 years. 3 years of of grinding (not worrying about things like: cutting in the summer, training for 1 rm etc.)
                    and he is by far the strongest and most muscular gent here. Read dante's 3 year minimum thread, a goal should be a long-term goal and rest assured, you will not be weak by any standard from doing DC. It's all in your exercise selection, until you're at a point where you need to bring up weaknesses it is very do able imo for any genetic makeup to be squatting in the 5's for reps, and pulling sets in the 6's without ever having done limit work or dynamic effort work. Maybe then transfer over if you're concerned by having disproportional limit strength but in the mean time, build as much tissue as you can, grind ever increasingly heavy weights and a year from the day there's no way you will be disappointed with your strength

Comment

5's and 6's?!?! Lol
                      SAVE 5-10% @ TRUENUTRITION.com Use code: LG100

- Success is the best revenge

Comment

We all are aware that if you stick with DC training you will get strong/big. Also, we are aware that if you stick with Westside training, you'll get strong/big as well. So why in the hell would someone want to combine the two....oh wait...I know....so you can get SUPER STRONG!!! Just F*cking retarded! Both programs work great! Lets say your retarded collaboration of the two don't work (for whatever reason)...what are you gonna do? Was it one program or the other? Was it because you combined the two? How about you just stick with one that has been tried and true, that way you can make a more educated decision as to which method is better (for you).

Dante has invested years of trail and error in order to find DC, do you not think he would have stumbled across this and went with it if westside and DC combined was some superduper workout...
                        nextBIGone
                        Last edited by nextBIGone; 07-05-2013, 07:42 PM.
                        TrueProtein discount code...

MLH229

Support the troops! Use my discount code.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway"
                        ~John Wayne

Comment

Mind = Blown
                          :preach:

Comment

Working...
                          X