Chain work for building mass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain work for building mass

So, whats your alls take/opinion on using lifting chains to help build mass. incorporate different muscle fibers by weight progression through the whole rep.
    would you consider this or add it to parts of the DC training style?

dont be taken my idea now :peace:
    I have found iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me. It never runs. Friends may come and go but two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength, Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, its impossible to turn back, the iron never lies to you.

I won't speak for how it may be implemented in a DC protocol, but I've used it in my training and with others. The benefits are obviously accomodating resistance so that you train to be more explosive and if implemented corectly can lead to bigger weights on standard training.

Also, and you aluded to this, is that chains change the emphasis on the exercise. For instance, on Squats the weight becomes heavier at the top so there is more stress on the quadricep, where as if you use them on stiff legged deadlift you change the emphasis from the hamstrings to more glutes and hips.

A third benefit that I noticed, and I have not heard much about, is that as you are warming up, if you keep adding chains instead of weight it feels as if it primes the nervous system. It is a weird effect, but as you add chains you almost feel like you are getting stronger.

Finally, I find adding chains seems to be easier on the joints.

But, to answer your question I find it very useful for adding mass.
    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

I have been using chains as part of my routine.. Not so much through my prep. I have found the same benefits you speak of.. I've gotten stronger faster and been more explosive.. And the pumps I get from using them are very intense. Just wanted someone's thoughts who's been training DC for some time to help implement them into training... After my contest I'm going to start the DC style and add chains. I have a combined 110 lbs of chain, 3 different of sets.. So there should be plenty of weight.
      I have found iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me. It never runs. Friends may come and go but two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds. There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength, Once the mind and body have been awakened to their true potential, its impossible to turn back, the iron never lies to you.

Comment

I can see how chains would benefit a lagging muscle group during a compound movement. I added a 10lb weight to a chain attached to a dumbell for my dumbell rows to hit my lagging lats.
        Fixing boats and lifting weights. Boat trouble? PM me.

Tom

Comment

The only issue I can see is that chain work may be more stressful on your CNS. That may have some impact when it comes to DC training. Scott would be the man to answer this question the best. Mental may have some good insight as well. From my experience with using chains and bands, you want to cycle them. Overusing them will result in beating up your CNS and your weights will eventually plummet.
          1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
          2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
          2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
          2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
          2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
          2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
          Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

While I was deployed last.. I used a West side bar bell type of routine using the chains.. I worked off percentages of my max lift and got terribly strong, well for my size. I just didn't have the diet to back it up. Now I would like to try it again and maybe do a blast, cruise, blast w/ chains, then cruise again. This time with the proper dieting.

Comment

Working...
            X