Chins as a main working set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chins as a main working set

Maybe it's just me, but for back width can anybody get chins working as a main set? For whatever reason I just can't seem to move up past bw+45*5-2-1.

pulldowns- fine
    rack chins- fine
    pullups- fine (probably because i'm using less weight.....+25*7-3-2 last time)
    chins....grrrrrrrr, no move ever

So after months of trial and error, I've relegated chins to the warmup section of my routine...initially they went up, then plateaued, then I stopped them (other than as a warmup sometimes) then brought them back and plateau'd again. Just wish I could figure out why I can't budge from that total.

I guess I could lower the weight and try for a higher rest paused total for a while......Hmmmm, more thinking time needed
    Last edited by hyp3r3xt3nsion; 09-10-2004, 01:19 AM.

Hey hyp3r3xt3nsion, make sure your eating properly and getting enough rest. Beyond that, every exercise you ever do will reach a plateau. Make sure your exploding up and controlling the negative.

When you say pullup and chin, I suppose your talking about wide grip overhand chins and underhand pullups?

In any case, here's some advice Dante had for someone whose biceps were tiring out first, which might help you work your back better:

"on the eccentric lean backwards very slightly on chinning/pulldown movements and take the arch out and round your back very slightly and use a wide grip on everything--problem solved--then get back to the back arched position when pulling on the concentric. "

Hyper don't get hung up on any exercise, they will ALL become your favorite lol. Just to make sure you know, when it comes to any bodypart(exercise), we have a certain rep range, say for back width 15-20 reps rest paused total. Don't overdo your warmups cause that's all they are. If you can't add weight or reps on a certain day then you have two more times to either add reps or add weight. If you fail, then you have to move on and you just start on another exercise. Start light enough to achieve the proper form and weights and build from there.

hope that helped
    jim
    ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
    Good luck
    Jimpaul/Newtoketo

EAT BIG, LIFT BIG AND GET BIG...SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN

USE TRUENUTRITION.COM FOR ALL YOUR
    SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!
    TO GET MY DISCOUNT USE Jat338

Comment

hyp3r3xt3nsion, Dump the plate, no need for ego here, use your body weight and get 15-20 RP, then when you reach 20 reps RP add some weight, a little weight, no rush here...
      "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

Yea, i've been contemplating going back to a higher rest paused total. I've done both (keeping in the 14-20 range and now the 8-12 range) and honestly, overal, the lower rest pause ranged seems to suit my body better - both gave me noticeable mass increases, but lower range seems to suit me better for strength progression.

I have absolutely no problem adding weight onto my totals, like last go around I did shoulder db pressing w/ 80*5-2-2, this go around for 80*7-3-3 (of course with slow/controlled negative). But like I said, for whatever reason chins just don't seem to budge ever, total plateau there...very weird (esp. since my rack chins have really been going up).

But yea, maybe it is time to tone down the weight a bit and shoot for a higher r/p'd total.

Comment

Yup thats what i do ... lower weight higher R/Ps.. good to see you over here from BB hyp3r... you helped me out on rack chins a while ago.

Comment

Originally posted by In-Human
            hyp3r3xt3nsion, Dump the plate, no need for ego here, use your body weight and get 15-20 RP, then when you reach 20 reps RP add some weight, a little weight, no rush here...
            I would agree with IH here you are going to heavy on these. There is nothing wrong with testing your medal now and then with heavy weight though.
            I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids or any illegal drug, any information discussed is for educational purposes only.

"Every goal has a price if you are willing to pay it"

Comment

hyp3r3xt3nsion, Hey I forgot about your breathing problem, so you do what feels the best...
              "That damn log book"

Comment

Originally posted by In-Human
                hyp3r3xt3nsion, Hey I forgot about your breathing problem, so you do what feels the best...
                wouldn't really call it a breathing problem; more-over that my lung capacity is very weak and tire very easily.

fortunately 10+ yrs of lifting does allow me to train a lot by feel, but hey, it's always good to voice different ideas for others to chime in to so I can have added thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by hyp3r3xt3nsion
                  fortunately 10+ yrs of lifting does allow me to train a lot by feel, but hey, it's always good to voice different ideas for others to chime in to so I can have added thoughts
                  Very true, well put...
                  "That damn log book"

Comment

Oh sure, ignore me, I see how it is! I put a lot of thought and research into a possible answer for you, and this is the thanks I get, hmmppphhh!!

Honestly I thought you worked up until that stalling point and if so, then usually it's the three strikes your out rule. or something. There's plenty of different exercises to go around. But if you want to lower the weight to get your reps up, well then fine. Far be it from me to try to help out. JK.

good luck
                    jim :enforcer:
                    ain't it the shit? Just wait til you guys/gals see some of the strength jumps lol..and the size you put on!
                    Good luck
                    Jimpaul/Newtoketo

SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!

Comment

Originally posted by jimpaul
                      Oh sure, ignore me, I see how it is! I put a lot of thought and research into a possible answer for you, and this is the thanks I get, hmmppphhh!!

Honestly I thought you worked up until that stalling point and if so, then usually it's the three strikes your out rule. or something. There's plenty of different exercises to go around. But if you want to lower the weight to get your reps up, well then fine. Far be it from me to try to help out. JK.

good luck
                      jim :enforcer:
                      lol :p

btw, i generally use 2 strikes and it's out, atleast for a little while, hehe.

Comment

I might've meant women on that, I'm not too sure. It's been a while and I'm old now and I can't remember all that much and..........err

what were we talking about again?
                        who am I?
                        Good luck
                        Jimpaul/Newtoketo

SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!

Comment

Seriously I meant if you did thirty pound curls for your rep range last time. Then today you went in and did thirty five pounds but fell short of your rep range, you would have two more chances to make it right!

I'm still old and could be mistaken though
                          jim
                          Good luck
                          Jimpaul/Newtoketo

SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS!!

Comment

Working...
                          X