Recovery Discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery Discovery

I've been working the MTTF split since I started DC's program. In a nutshell, I was basing my recovery rate on how sore I was feeling in the various muscle groups. I was busting my ass in the gym - sore for two one day - and then I felt normal with full flexibility the next. However, I am having trouble beating my log book and basically feeling lousy and pushing 320 on squats like it was 405 - though I wasn't sore.

I wanted to chime in as I have been frequently reading "how does one know recovery rates?"; "I dont' feel sore after training"; etc. IMHO ones recovery is not solely guaged on soreness, but other factors such as strength, mood, etc. I would be interested to hear how other guage their recovery rates - other than soreness.

BTW: Will be moving to MWF next week..should have listened and done it sooner, but sometimes I'm a bit over motivated and hate being out the gym - old habit die hard I guess.
    The King of Average Women

I'd gauge mine, though its not scientifically proven to be directly associated with recovery and stuff, on soreness. This is tops as it is the most obvious indication my body provides. The next 'feeling' i count on is this gut feeling i have. There are certain periods when i wanna train so badly but i have this feeling that the logbook's gonna kick and rape my ass.. no questions asked. I can see myself succumbing under immense weights.. thats when i take a step back and relax.

Of course everybody would wanna do the mttf split. Hey more days in the gym pumping, means grwoing faster eh? I can cut short the time a normal mwf guy takes to gain a similar amount of mass! Damn, wouldn't that rock? In an ideal situation yes, but everybody's different. I once thought of doing the mttf split but the detrimental effects of overtraining vs my would be gains from the mwf split just made the choice of the latter a hands down one.
    Consistency is the key

Protein? Use this for a 5% discount at www.trueprotein.com: LVP931

Comment

IMO you have to be a genetic phenom to be able to do the MTTF split. Being a natural and using the MWF split is right at the border of overtraining for myself... but it's worked out great so far.

The NEW MTTF split that Dante outlined looks like it could work quite well... but I don't know many people that could do the original MTTF if they are training at maximum intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDan
        However, I am having trouble beating my log book and basically feeling lousy and pushing 320 on squats like it was 405
        You basicly answered your own question, if you did the 3 day split starting with straight sets you would have found out your recouperation ability in a few weeks.

And not beating the log is the first sign you ain't recouperating enough...
        "That damn log book"

www.trueprotein.com Highest quality protein at the lowest price...

Comment

so the next step is???? take time off, take an extra days rest???
          cummmon inquiring minds want to know, lol
          id say hit some sust and cal it a day tho, hehehaha, jk
          frk
          :iagree:
          i always agree with what i say

Comment

IH, is this where he needs to go on a cruise for a couple of weeks?
            International Elite Raw Powerlifter
            Blood - Sweat - Chalk

Comment

Yup, a cruise for 2 weeks would prime your body for its next blast. Or if you think its a one-off kinda thing, you may just skip that 1 particular training and continue with your mwf split the next training day that comes around.
              Consistency is the key

Protein? Use this for a 5% discount at www.trueprotein.com: LVP931

Comment

Originally posted by RaulJimenez
                Someone in here told me to monitor my HR in the morning, i wonder who that might be
                Hmmm, I wonder, who ever told you that, he might know what he is talking about, maybe?...
                "That damn log book"

Comment

Originally posted by Future
                  IH, is this where he needs to go on a cruise for a couple of weeks?
                  Yes, this would be a very good point to see how everything is feeling and decide if a cruise is in order, I agree...
                  "That damn log book"

Comment

A cruise may be due.... I have also found anytime I am having log book ass kicking issues it usually relates to food. If I eat more I find that I get stronger!!!
                    I do not condone the use of anabolic steroids or any illegal drug, any information discussed is for educational purposes only.

"Every goal has a price if you are willing to pay it"

Comment

Thanks for the responses..this has been very helpful for me to put things into perspective...I think I'm going to take Friday, Sat, Sun off and begin with a MWF split next week. I'll cruise for two weeks on my training doing straight sets to help me better determine my recovery ability.

BigP3 - good call...I feel the same way and have basically added a meal (7 meals daily) to my eating routine...I need to continue to study up on the dieting though I cut carbs at 6pm and cram down my protein first before carbs, etc, etc.

FrickHuge - the fun begins in November with the goodies...LOL

IH - got any space in your schedule towards end of October to help me out??

Truly,
                      BigDan
                      The King of Average Women

Comment

Originally posted by BigDan
                        IH - got any space in your schedule towards end of October to help me out??
                        Just hit me up when you are ready, we will see what we can do...
                        "That damn log book"

Comment

Working...
                        X