Just Started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Started

I just started DC, and for the first time in a while, I'm sweating while working out. I have always pushed myself pretty hard in the gym, but going to failure, legit failure, is really a killer. I have learned there are two kinds of failure....mental and physical. Mental is where I put out a good effort, but I stop when my brain says, "you can't get another one"....physical failure is where I am fucking shaking to get one more, but absolutely can't get it. This is a huge difference, and has got me excited about training again.

You're going to need to change your name... Just kidding, the more coops the better. But I understand what you're saying. I always sweat no matter what training I do, but RP's are a real killer, and stack on top of that the extreme stretches, I'm limping out of the gym every time.

Comment

What's up coops?

Yeah, the mental aspect of DC is one thing I feel sets it apart and you really have to challenge yourself mentally to push past what you thought was your physical limit. When you get deep into a blast and find youself staring at your logbook, thinking, "I have to beat that!?!" and you step up to the plate, dig down and just kill your set, that is an awesome feeling.

Good luck with your blast coop, you are in for a treat
      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
      2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
        What's up coops?

Yeah, the mental aspect of DC is one thing I feel sets it apart and you really have to challenge yourself mentally to push past what you thought was your physical limit. When you get deep into a blast and find youself staring at your logbook, thinking, "I have to beat that!?!" and you step up to the plate, dig down and just kill your set, that is an awesome feeling.

Good luck with your blast coop, you are in for a treat
        "Co-op" I'm guessing....

Comment

Okay, so I just started and am about 4 weeks in and I have customized doggcrapp to me! Tell me how this looks. I know it is shunned but I could not drop the barbell Bench, so I upped the rep range to 15-30.
          Week 1
          Monday
          Incline barbell Bench Press (11-15 rp)
          Dumbbell Shoulder Press (20-30 rp)
          Tricep Pulldowns (11-20 rp- don’t switch off)
          Pull Downs to front (11-15 rp)
          Barbell Deadlift (6-9 rp) + Lighter (9-12 rp)
          Wednesday
          Preacher Curls (11-20 rp)
          Hammer Curls- Straight set- (10-20 rp)
          Leg Press Toe Press (10-12 rp)
          Sumo Press Heavy (15-30 rp)
          Leg Press (6-10 rp) + faster and lighter (20 rp widowmaker)
          Friday
          Decline Barbell (11-15 rp)
          Military Press In front of head (11-20 rp)
          Close Grip Bench (11-20 rp)
          Close Grip Pulldowns (11-15 rp)
          Rack Deadlift (6-9 rp) + Lighter (9-12 rp)

Week 2
          Monday
          Barbell Curls (11-20 rp)
          Reverse Barbell Curls- Straight Set (10-20 rp)
          Standing Barbell Calf Raises (10-12 rp)
          Barbell Squats (6-10 rp) + faster and lighter widowmaker (20 rp)
          Straight leg Deadlift - Straight set – really focus on hamstrings (10-15 rp)
          Wednesday
          Flat Barbell Bench Press (15-30 rp)
          Upright Rows (11-20 rp)
          Skull Crushers (15-30 rp)
          Pull Downs to Back of Head (11-15 rp)
          Bent Over Rows – Straight set (10-12 rp)
          Friday
          Incline Alternating Dumbbell Curls (15-30 rp)
          Reverse Cable Curls (10-20 rp)
          Seated Calf Raise (10-12 rp)
          Leg Curls (15-30 rp)
          Smith Squats (6-10 rp) + faster and lighter widow maker (20 rp)

A little bit about myself: I know I am young (18) but I have been training intensely for years. Being a hardgainer is you holding yourself back. 2 grams a day of protein will solve anyone's problem. I have good form, know how to do all the lifts, and am determined to beat my log book every time. I tend to stray away from the smith machine, as the lifts are more locked into motion for me. I started with a 5x5 routine, advanced to a push pull, then did high volume (but made nearly no strength gains-only small features became more noticeable), and am convinced that high intensity strength gains from a program like doggcrapp are the way to go. I am not doing anything hormonal, and would like to reach a bench of 315 within 4 months or so. Any advice is appreciated. The only thing I plan to change (that some will tear me apart for saying), is that I wish to put calves at the end of the legs/biceps/forearms day. I still plan to follow the order otherwise entirely, however, depth becomes an issue when my calves are shaking from explosive/high intensity calf work. I know my bench needs some work. And I have been endlessly trying to improve it above what it is. I feel age is holding me back more than anything. Currently if I do 205 with 10 reps, it has been nearly impossible to get 11 the next time. I feel extremely strong about not dropping this exercise though as it is one of what has always been the big 3 in my head "bench, squat, deadlift". So I am going to drop the weight and do higher reps to make more gradual steps. Any advice for explosive growth is much appreciated! Again, please don't tear me apart for anything specific. Constructive advice on my setup is much much appreciated.
          18 years old- "welcome to the gun show"
          "neck arms"
          Bench 270
          Squat 455
          Deadlift 500
          Positive criticism is always good advice

Comment

Originally posted by Mennotinblack View Post
            A little bit about myself: I know I am young (18) but I have been training intensely for years. Being a hardgainer is you holding yourself back. 2 grams a day of protein will solve anyone's problem. I have good form, know how to do all the lifts, and am determined to beat my log book every time. I tend to stray away from the smith machine, as the lifts are more locked into motion for me. I started with a 5x5 routine, advanced to a push pull, then did high volume (but made nearly no strength gains-only small features became more noticeable), and am convinced that high intensity strength gains from a program like doggcrapp are the way to go. I am not doing anything hormonal, and would like to reach a bench of 315 within 4 months or so. Any advice is appreciated. The only thing I plan to change (that some will tear me apart for saying), is that I wish to put calves at the end of the legs/biceps/forearms day. I still plan to follow the order otherwise entirely, however, depth becomes an issue when my calves are shaking from explosive/high intensity calf work. I know my bench needs some work. And I have been endlessly trying to improve it above what it is. I feel age is holding me back more than anything. Currently if I do 205 with 10 reps, it has been nearly impossible to get 11 the next time. I feel extremely strong about not dropping this exercise though as it is one of what has always been the big 3 in my head "bench, squat, deadlift". So I am going to drop the weight and do higher reps to make more gradual steps. Any advice for explosive growth is much appreciated! Again, please don't tear me apart for anything specific. Constructive advice on my setup is much much appreciated.
            Strongly suggest you don't put calves at the end, it's set up that way for a reason - after doing your widowmaker it's gong to take everything you've got just to catch your breath and keep from passing out. I usually end up on the floor for 10 minutes and even after that still have tunnel vision for another 10 minutes. There is no way I could ever do another exercise after my widowmaker set.

2017 NPC National Championships Classic Physique, Class D - 4th Place
            2017 NPC New England Championships Classic Physique, Class C - 1st Place
            2017 NPC East Coast Cup Classic Physique, Tall Class - 1st Place & Overall
            2015 Arnold Amateur Men's Classic Bodybuilding, Tall Class - 4th Place
            2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

alright that is definitely advice to keep in mind! I was definitely experimenting when determining what weight to do for a 20 rep squat. So i would definitely say my intensity has not reached that point where I can't move my legs. So yes, I may just back off doing sooooooooo much weight and intensity on calves (like holding 350 lbs up for 15 seconds, then slowly going down for 5, holding it, then exploding up and holding for 15 seconds for 12 reps. My calves quiver. Any other advice about any of the other lifts?
              "neck arms"
              Bench 270
              Squat 455
              Deadlift 500

Comment

I'd do Rack Chins instead of the 'Pull Down to Back of Head'. And you're probably going to hit a wall fast with BB Incline, BB Decline, & BB Flat as your three chest movements. Choose exercises that you'll be able to continually progress on - it can be tough to grind out those last few reps to beat the log book week after week on BB bench (regardless of the angle) - maybe a fly movement on the day that you're doing CG bench for triceps?

2013 NPC Europa Battle of Champions - 1st Place Novice Heavyweight, 2nd Place Open Light-Heavyweight

Comment

Well I am at college so the equipment is pretty grounded in place so there is nowhere to do rack chins (because of my feet). Any other alternatives? And i thought a fly movement was not recommended because it was less weight. I know there are no dc approved exercises. But obviously presses can handle much more weight. But I like the idea of substituting one of those out. I do already have shoulder press one day so that is extremely close do dumbbell incline. Perhaps dumbbell decline bench press?
                  "neck arms"
                  Bench 270
                  Squat 455
                  Deadlift 500

Comment

Originally posted by moco View Post
                    I'd do Rack Chins instead of the 'Pull Down to Back of Head'. And you're probably going to hit a wall fast with BB Incline, BB Decline, & BB Flat as your three chest movements. Choose exercises that you'll be able to continually progress on - it can be tough to grind out those last few reps to beat the log book week after week on BB bench (regardless of the angle) - maybe a fly movement on the day that you're doing CG bench for triceps?
                    Flyes are not the best choice for DC. A better choice would be to remove the flat BB and do some kind of machine press.
                    Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character" A. Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Terror Hennep View Post
                      Flyes are not the best choice for DC. A better choice would be to remove the flat BB and do some kind of machine press.
                      Yeah, maybe not best for most. Personally I'm able to progress well on incline DB flyes and can handle a decent amount of weight - so just thought I'd throw the idea out there. Not necessarily saying he should or shouldn't do flyes, more just trying to convey that you should choose movements that work best for you with regard to progression and targeting the muscle.

Also, when it comes to chest and shoulders I like to pair a non-pressing movement with a pressing movement. So for example, incline DB flyes with DB shoulder press... or machine press with upright rows, etc.

Comment

Well I am at college so the equipment is pretty grounded in place so there is nowhere to do rack chins (because of my feet). Any other alternatives?
                        No movable benches, boxes, or anything?

Comment

I was always under the impression that the 2 types of failure were 1) the weight stops moving 2) the muscle hurts too damn much from being too pumped with blood.

This "mental failure" you speak of I think is just you being weary of a new movement, balance, getting caught under a barbell or something, or fear of hurting yourself...I wouldn't call that failure. I'd call that training smart.
                          Max Muscle
                          5020 Katella Ave.
                          Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                          www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

MNIB,

Will you only accept constructive non-specific advice or will any advice be acceptable to you?...

What do you mean about age holding you back?...

-Scott
                            The Book Has Arrived!
                            The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                            2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                            2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Moco:
                              I may be able to steal a box used for various jumps.
                              Homonunculus:
                              b) As stated, I have been training heavy for years. I have been having trouble with volume exercises exceeding a 270 lb bench. Deadlifts I can crank up to 500, and Squats I can do about 450, and still see gradual increases in both. I am 18 as I stated. My bench was probably 250 last year, whereas at 17 my deadlift was probably 350 last year, and 500 this year.
                              a) In terms of your statement about criticism, I am open to any criticism as long as it will benefit me in getting stronger and more destructive .
                              Negative advice I do not want to hear is: "Go back to volume training" when I really feel like it is a waste of time, or "you are very stupid for keeping barbell bench" when it is by far my favorite lift I can't live without haha.
                              "neck arms"
                              Bench 270
                              Squat 455
                              Deadlift 500

Comment

Working...
                              X