new shoulder exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new shoulder exercise

dont know if this has been done or mentioned before but here goes....stumbled on it be accident when trying to change up lat pulldown angles and found my
    medial delts were the sorest they have been in a long time so i got to thinking..... i went in the next week to train delts again i went to the pulldown machine and experimented, staying very vertical and little more than shoulder width grip or wider i began pulling down to my chin or bridge of nose-depending on different angle of machine brands while squeezing my delts hard! after 1 set i knew i was on to something. been doing this for a month now and at 42 years old my delts have actually improved way better than all the presses and laterals ive been doing for years. it may not work for all body types but for a guy with shoulder pains and who pushes mainly with front delts and tri"s it has helped my delts grow more than any other exersise. give em a try and i bet they will work for some

Any chance on getting a video demo of this exercise?

Comment

I've noticed that my tris are burning like a fire doing close grip pulldowns (making sure the bar touches my upper chest, which is also preceded by doing some tricep work so that is also taken into consideration)

Comment

my cellphone just broke the other day plus i workout alone and am not very tech savy. if you can picture yourself sitting on the lat pulldown machine holding the bar and basically pulling the bar down into a rear double bicep pose. its almost like the reverse of a military press

Comment

Originally posted by gboa View Post
          my cellphone just broke the other day plus i workout alone and am not very tech savy. if you can picture yourself sitting on the lat pulldown machine holding the bar and basically pulling the bar down into a rear double bicep pose. its almost like the reverse of a military press
          Gboa,

You might search for "Face Pull" on youtube. Your exercise sounds like a face-pull pulling from a high pulley (using the lat pulldown straight bar).

-S
          The Book Has Arrived!
          The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
          2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
          2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Wait I'm confused...

At first I pictured you standing (very vertical) and pulling the bar to your face.

Then you gave a better explanation and it seems like it's just a behind-the-neck pulldown. Am I missing something?

Very interested, though.
            Max Muscle
            5020 Katella Ave.
            Los Alamitos, CA 90720
            www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

ive been looking for vids on youtube but cant find one, its def not a facepull and yes it would seem like more of a lat pulldown. it is to the front just done at a very linear angle the same angle one would do a military press. now pulldown to your chin or bridge of nose and pull using your delts, my delts are on fire when i do em. i wish i could explain it better but angle is the key to it, both the angle of body and the angle at which the bar will travel to nose or chin. oh yeah i forgot to mention i am seated when doing them

Comment

some lat pulldown machines are better than others for this. the ones that are set a little further back at the top pulley usually give the best feel

Comment

Originally posted by theroymccoy View Post
                  Wait I'm confused...

At first I pictured you standing (very vertical) and pulling the bar to your face.

Then you gave a better explanation and it seems like it's just a behind-the-neck pulldown. Am I missing something?

Very interested, though.
                  - Very lost. Video yourself so we can see this. Sounds like a standing lat pulldown? With emphasis on your delts?.....
                  2012 Muscle Mayhem Novice Middleweight - 1st
                  2012 Muscle Mayhem Open Middleweight - 1st

2013 Dallas Europa Open Light Heavyweight - 8th

Comment

Homon,

Off subject. What shoulder exercises could be used to rehab a shoulder injury? I have a nagging pain in my right shoulder when doing pressing movements for my chest.
                    Last edited by jrf0104; 10-11-2012, 01:25 PM. Reason: Rephrased the question

Comment

Sounds like its a reverse version of a upright row ? if you stand doing the motion of a basic upright row bu now raise your arms up and pull down at what...80 degree or so angle with the same motion.
                      Last edited by Justme; 10-11-2012, 04:42 PM.

Comment

i will try to post a vid when i can, i think i made this a little more confusing then it really is.
                        basically a front lat pulldown at 80-90 degree body angle, emphasis on the delts. pulling straight down-no arc and squeezing the delts. i just did them the other day and my middle delts are sore as hell!!!

Comment

So really all this is, is a strict lat pulldown while contracting your delts?
                          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

In the old days (before shoulder surgery) I used to do alot of behind the neck pulldowns, and I felt them alot more in the rear delts than front pulldowns.
                            BTW Homonunculus Your new avatar picture looks insane. The conditioning is unreal.

Comment

Originally posted by jrf0104 View Post
                              Homon,

Off subject. What shoulder exercises could be used to rehab a shoulder injury? I have a nagging pain in my right shoulder when doing pressing movements for my chest.

Well, I hate to tell ya, but there's absolutely and utterly no way for me to answer that question given the above. Frankly, I very rarely give anything approaching rehab advice unless I've got as much knowledge of the situation as I would with a client, meaning lots of Q and A.

The above would be like saying: "My house kind of gets warm now and again at night. What should I do?" There could be a plethora of solutions depending on your climate, time of day, HVAC, etc.

Originally posted by dcwannabee View Post
                              In the old days (before shoulder surgery) I used to do alot of behind the neck pulldowns, and I felt them alot more in the rear delts than front pulldowns.
                              BTW Homonunculus Your new avatar picture looks insane. The conditioning is unreal.
                              Thanks! (Photoshop. )

-S
                              The Book Has Arrived!
                              The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                              2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                              2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Working...
                              X