Workout Cadence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workout Cadence

I just switched back to the 2 way split after along time doing the 3 way (I was doing it due to very limited time). I am notorious for moving very fast during my workout, I hardly take any rest between movements, this worked out fine when I was doing the 3 way cause the workouts were so short I never really noticed any ill effects while doing it. Yesterday I went in to do bi's, forearms, calfs, hamstrings and quads and I kept my usual pace but I honestly thought I was going to pass out when I was done. I think I got the whole workout and stretches done in about 25 minutes (I did BB curs, hammer curs, high rep-rest paused toe press on a 45 degree leg press, sumo leg press and standard leg press, all movements were pretty damn heavy since I'm making a conscious effort to really move some heavy weight, in the past I've always increased weights but I tended to be a bit more conservative with my poundage increases).

so I guess the question is how long does it usually take you guys to complete the workouts on the 2 way? I am still a bit limited on time but I can slow it down a bit but I was just curious how long you guys take to complete things.

I know this may have been asked before and if so can the mods just merge it with an existing thread?

I'm not currently doing the 2 way, but when I did I was typically done in about 40 minutes for C/BW/BT/S/T, and 45-50 for leg/bi/forearm.
    You're perfect, yes it's true. But without me...you're only you.

Comment

I think I'm gonna start adding the time it took me to complete a workout in my logbook so I have something to refrence in the future. it's just hard when you are used to moving so fast and you have to slow down.

Comment

Doing 2 way like stated takes me on average 45 min also. I believe most important thing is just do it how it is written by Dante and don't worry about timing yourself and being fast. If you do that you should be done in the hour anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by buildingzt View Post
          Doing 2 way like stated takes me on average 45 min also. I believe most important thing is just do it how it is written by Dante and don't worry about timing yourself and being fast. If you do that you should be done in the hour anyways.
          it's not something I consciously set out to do, I've always worked out very fast.

Comment

It takes me about 1½ hour to complete the biceps/forearms/legs day (maybe a bit more if the weather is hot) but I am also doing 2 heavy quad sets + WM and ending my workouts with the adductor machine.

Comment

This really is individual. It also depends on how long it takes you to get a muscle warmed up. I was scoffed at a couple years ago in a thread here where I stated that I was getting they the workouts in 45 minutes, but in hindsight I realize that I wasn't warming up NEARLY enough.....as my poundages have increased over the last few years, so has my warmup time, as has my rest time between exercises. I think what you really need to ask yourself is are you recovering enough between exercises to really be giving it 100% intensity on each movement? That is the key.....make sure you bomb the muscle with your one all out r/p set and then recover for a bit before the next movement. Warm up if need be and then bomb that movement. If you feel that you are doing this and really are at max intensity for YOU, then don't worry so much about the time......

Just for reference, when I do the two way, I am done in about 1.25 hours, a tiny bit less on leg day. I find that I don't need as much time between movements on leg day and move a bit quicker. On upper day, I take quite a bit of time between chest/shoulders, then between shoulders/tri's, then between bw/bt......I also rest alot between straight sets of bt......
              STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

my warm ups are a bit shorter than most, if for example I'm doing chest/shoulders/tris I will basically do a light pump set for my bi's (I've had a strange felling in my bi's when doing something like an incline press, I don't really know what it is but I find that I don't have that same sensation if take a few minutes and warm them up) then I will do an actual warm up on the incline or whateveer I'm doing for chest that day. that's pretty much the only warm up I'll do for that day. If I move onto a military press (I always do these on a smith machine) i'll do a set just to make sure my positioning is good and that nothing feels strange. Once I'm sure everything is good I go. I know this is different than what alot of guys do but I've been doing it for years and have never run into any problems.

Comment

Kinda curious how old you are and what your weights look like? Your warmup seems awfully brief if you are anywhere near advanced, or old like me....lol
                  STEEL

Comment

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
                    Kinda curious how old you are and what your weights look like? Your warmup seems awfully brief if you are anywhere near advanced, or old like me....lol
                    almost 40

weights really depend on what movement we are talking about.

I pretty much started over from scratch near the end of summer so my workout the other day looked like this:

BB curl-110 x 21RP

Hammer Curls-45 x 24SS

Toe Press (high rep, rest paused)-635 x 27

sumo leg press-645 x 22SS

leg press-645 x 23SS

my next worout for back, chest, shoulders tri's will look like this:

Dip Machine-265

press behind the neck-205

pushdown-215

front pulldowns-260

seated rows-280 for my heavy set then 185 for 20

my BW is about 190lbs. I've always warmed up like that and have NEVER had a bad injury from working out, I do have back and wrist issues but that's from my time wrestling in HS and I used to have a very labor intensive job.

I'm pretty careful in the gym, I don't have a problem cutting a movement short if somethng doesn't feel right or taking an extra day to mentally prepare for a workout.

I've also been very conservative with my weight increases, even if I'm getting say 30 reps rest paused on a movement I'll only add 5 or 10lbs the next time, I usually don't make a "large" jump unless I get something like 35 reps rest paused. I like to start a movement with a weight I can get 30 with, this is just something I do to get used to a new movement and to avoid injury. If I start the movement with a weight I can handle for that range and if ANYTHING feels strange to me during the movement I'll usually drop it. One thing I feel very strongly about is that you have to comfortable doing a movement to push it as far as possible. For instance, I have lower back problems so I tend to avoid anything that will put any type of torque on my back-this is the first time I've done a standard BB curl in years and I am very careful with it. Same goes for something like a rack deadlift, I can do it but once I get to a cetain point it just becomes more about me worrying about my lower back than concentrating on the set.
                    Last edited by A-DOG; 09-28-2012, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by A-DOG View Post
                      almost 40

weights really depend on what movement we are talking about.

I pretty much started over from scratch near the end of summer so my workout the other day looked like this:

BB curl-110 x 21RP

Hammer Curls-45 x 24SS

Toe Press (high rep, rest paused)-635 x 27

sumo leg press-645 x 22SS

leg press-645 x 23SS

my next worout for back, chest, shoulders tri's will look like this:

Dip Machine-265

press behind the neck-205

pushdown-215

front pulldowns-260

seated rows-280 for my heavy set then 185 for 20

my BW is about 190lbs. I've always warmed up like that and have NEVER had a bad injury from working out, I do have back and wrist issues but that's from my time wrestling in HS and I used to have a very labor intensive job.

I'm pretty careful in the gym, I don't have a problem cutting a movement short if somethng doesn't feel right or taking an extra day to mentally prepare for a workout.

I've also been very conservative with my weight increases, even if I'm getting say 30 reps rest paused on a movement I'll only add 5 or 10lbs the next time, I usually don't make a "large" jump unless I get something like 35 reps rest paused. I like to start a movement with a weight I can get 30 with, this is just something I do to get used to a new movement and to avoid injury. If I start the movement with a weight I can handle for that range and if ANYTHING feels strange to me during the movement I'll usually drop it. One thing I feel very strongly about is that you have to comfortable doing a movement to push it as far as possible. For instance, I have lower back problems so I tend to avoid anything that will put any type of torque on my back-this is the first time I've done a standard BB curl in years and I am very careful with it. Same goes for something like a rack deadlift, I can do it but once I get to a cetain point it just becomes more about me worrying about my lower back than concentrating on the set.
                      What I'm saying really is that someone who may be squatting 4-500lbs for a work set, or incline benching 315-385 or higher or even lower really, may need much more warm up time than what you are doing, that's all. I used to go in and work up to about 315 incline and would do 2 sets for warmup and that's it, but now I'm not even up there at those previous weights and I need about 15 minutes of different warm ups to keep my joints from just quitting on me.....It's really all relative, just thinking that the more advanced one becomes, the more he's apt to have an injury due to the weights being used, therefore more warm up time really is a necessity.....

I may do rack deads from just above the knee and get close to 500lbs, but it's a process getting to that number that takes almost 15-20 minutes. With my back issues, I work up very slowly in 50-90lb increments and rest between, stretch, work on my back if needed, etc.....Like I said, I don't think it's that big of a deal how little time you are in the gym, just make sure your warmups are adequate to keep injuries at bay....
                      STEEL

Comment

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
                        What I'm saying really is that someone who may be squatting 4-500lbs for a work set, or incline benching 315-385 or higher or even lower really, may need much more warm up time than what you are doing, that's all. I used to go in and work up to about 315 incline and would do 2 sets for warmup and that's it, but now I'm not even up there at those previous weights and I need about 15 minutes of different warm ups to keep my joints from just quitting on me.....It's really all relative, just thinking that the more advanced one becomes, the more he's apt to have an injury due to the weights being used, therefore more warm up time really is a necessity.....

I may do rack deads from just above the knee and get close to 500lbs, but it's a process getting to that number that takes almost 15-20 minutes. With my back issues, I work up very slowly in 50-90lb increments and rest between, stretch, work on my back if needed, etc.....Like I said, I don't think it's that big of a deal how little time you are in the gym, just make sure your warmups are adequate to keep injuries at bay....

I get what you're saying.

I've never had problems with my joints or any tears or anything, I just make sure I'm nice and loose when I go in. I start moving and shaking the bodyparts I'm gonna train on the way in (I have about an hour drive from work to the gym).

Comment

Working...
                        X