Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Headache occurring during workout, whats wrong with me?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Headache occurring during workout, whats wrong with me?

    This happened for the first time this week twice

    The first time it happened I was curling 120 barbell when I got to the 10th rep out of nowhere I was hit with a massive head ache so painful I thought I was going to pasd out

    Then a couple days later I was curling 130 pound barbell when I hit the 8th rep boom it happened again I stopped everything and left

    It starts at the base of my neck and shoots to my brain

    Some people call it weight lifters headache, or exercise induced headache
    How do I stop it from happening

    Is it a neck strain and or blood pressure related?
    Anyone else had this happen

  • #2
    Google "exertion headache"


    I usually get them for a couple weeks a year. I take an NSAID 30min PRIOR to lifting. For me, this prevents them from ever starting. Because once you do get one, there is really nothing you can do till is subsides.

    Advil works fine for me. Aleve should work too, but I'm allergic to naproxen so haven't tried it.

    Obviously not a doctor.
    Last edited by PBRevolution; 09-22-2012, 06:21 PM.
    My log: http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=47064

    Comment


    • #3
      I had one a few years ago and took 3 weeks off lifting and havent had one since.

      Comment


      • #4
        I experienced a similar issue. It first popped up with squats, then it became an issue during just about any movement except for pulling movements.

        After seeing several neurologists and non-specialist doctors, it was a chiropractor who suggested it was a spinal issue related to bad posture, in particular how my head jetted out in front of my body.

        When I started doing prehab exercises to correct this postural issue as well as tucking my neck in hard for just about everything, it corrected the problem magically. Now I don't have to take stuff like ibuprofen or indomethacin before lifting.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Big R View Post
          I experienced a similar issue. It first popped up with squats, then it became an issue during just about any movement except for pulling movements.

          After seeing several neurologists and non-specialist doctors, it was a chiropractor who suggested it was a spinal issue related to bad posture, in particular how my head jetted out in front of my body.

          When I started doing prehab exercises to correct this postural issue as well as tucking my neck in hard for just about everything, it corrected the problem magically. Now I don't have to take stuff like ibuprofen or indomethacin before lifting.

          What kind of prehab work were you doing

          Comment


          • #6
            No joke, the JUST happened to me today. I wasn't even going hard, was doing rear delt db raise with 25lbs. Huge throbbing headache from my neck up. I am guessing I pinched something in my traps which affected a nerve.
            Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

            Comment


            • #7
              Could be high blood pressure.

              If you're taking any strong pre-wo supps I'd recommend you stop it for a while and see how it goes.
              "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

              "Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

              “Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

              The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

              Comment


              • #8
                IF it happens only on one exercise....While on that same exercise (barbell curl... make sure you are not grinding your teeth hard and NOT HOLDING YOUR BREATH...in fact try to keep your face relax during all exercises (maintain a expression less face...or whatever) just don't bit your teeth too hard to squeeze more reps or lift more weight..and don't hold breath (very important)

                i had this similar pain a few times while benching... until some body pointed this out to me that i was you know grinding my teeth too hard and not breathing as i should be during the set, as a result the pressure was not releasing properly...

                let me know if it helps.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Swaminator View Post
                  No joke, the JUST happened to me today. I wasn't even going hard, was doing rear delt db raise with 25lbs. Huge throbbing headache from my neck up. I am guessing I pinched something in my traps which affected a nerve.
                  Went to deep tissue massage therapy twice...had them work the traps and neck. Problem gone.

                  BTW: I just went to one of those mall chair massage places, 15 bucks for 15 minutes. Asked the guy to use max force. It lit me up but it worked.
                  Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by greatkeen View Post
                    IF it happens only on one exercise....While on that same exercise (barbell curl... make sure you are not grinding your teeth hard and NOT HOLDING YOUR BREATH...in fact try to keep your face relax during all exercises (maintain a expression less face...or whatever) just don't bit your teeth too hard to squeeze more reps or lift more weight..and don't hold breath (very important)

                    i had this similar pain a few times while benching... until some body pointed this out to me that i was you know grinding my teeth too hard and not breathing as i should be during the set, as a result the pressure was not releasing properly...

                    let me know if it helps.
                    ^^ THIS ^^ It is due to holding your breath on heavy sets, and breathing incorrectly. It can irritate the Atlas slightly at the base of the skull. Had it happen a few times in the gym (my gym happens to be conveniently located in a Chiropractors building) and doc told me what I was doing incorrectly. I have not had it happen since. Take note of your breathing on heavy sets!
                    "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." -William G. McAdoo

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Breathing properly is very important. I see way too many people holding their breath during the sets/reps. Not to mention that I think a lot of screaming and grunting I hear from time to time is a waste, but I digress. Personally, I feel that chiropractic care is a good thing when you're training hard and heavy along with massage. One of the biggest things is Hydration. Many headaches are caused by dehydration and if you are training hard, especially DC Training, you must make sure you are hydrated before getting into the gym and try to maintain hydration the best you can throughout the workout. I sweat like CRAZY during my workouts and I'm usually soaked by the end.
                      Its not the size of the hammer, its the size of the man holding the hammer.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I've had, self diagnosed, exertion headaches in the past. I regularly take NSAIDs on heavy set days. I think I may have chronic headaches though, bp is always around 120/80, pulse is always good, just something that happens from time to time with me. I haven't noticed holding my breath during 1rm or at meets, especially on squats, being any factor in the intensity of the head ache. But I do see a lot of people holding their breath on their normal work sets.
                        …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Same exact thing happened to me awhile back. There was actually a similar post about 8 months ago about the same thing. This is most likely caused by a neck shoulder pull. When in use it tighens up and reduces blood flow to your head. I had the same exact headaches after I felt a tingling sensation in the back/side of my neck doing (of all things) heavy (6-8 rep set) of leg presses. They were so bad, they prevented me from doing anything. I took 3 full weeks off (23 full days) and felt great after that. It happened 3 years ago and have not had an issue since.
                          "The Dude Abides" Please Use Discount Code: JNC825

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Go get a couple deep tissue massages and have them work your traps. I am not sure if this will help you but it helped me. Headaches gone.
                            Family Guy but also; Old School SoCal, punk rock loving, powerlifting, hardcore gym rat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLQ73EutoY

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by MaxNat View Post
                              ^^ THIS ^^ It is due to holding your breath on heavy sets, and breathing incorrectly. It can irritate the Atlas slightly at the base of the skull. Had it happen a few times in the gym (my gym happens to be conveniently located in a Chiropractors building) and doc told me what I was doing incorrectly. I have not had it happen since. Take note of your breathing on heavy sets!

                              Same tension-like headache occurred at the squat rack and in the bedroom back in '09. Improper breathing and/or too much tension is what I'm guessing happened in my case.
                              #docswholift
                              PGY-1 FM
                              "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X