Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yall will think I'm crazy but I may be ordering one of these.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yall will think I'm crazy but I may be ordering one of these.

http://www.trainingmask.com/products...-MASK-2.0.html

Whatcha think?

Ehh I don't know???

Is there any science to this cause it seems like a sketchy gimic...

People improve their performance by training at altitude because the air is thinner so less oxygen, and the body creates more red blood cells to compensate (increases o2 carrying cqpacity), I don't think you can duplicate that with a mask.
    Heavy squats fix everything.

Comment

That would be great to keep the bugs out of your mouth when riding your bike fast or when I walk in the evening near the mud flats, spotlighting for rabbits also tends to get bugs in your mouth.

Looks super comfortable if you were a robber as well.

Training wise I don't know though.
      "Be gentle in what you do, firm in how you do it."
      Buck Brannaman.

"It is the certainty of punishment that deters crime, not the severity of it."
      'Hanging' Judge PARKER

"Nothing is so powerful as an insight into human nature... what compulsions drive a man, what instincts dominate his action... if you know these things about a man you can touch him at the core of his being."
      ~William Bernbach

Comment

I really don't think you can duplicate the effect of high altitude training.

On high altitudes the air actually has more oxygen (29%), the partial pressure of it that's greatly reduced. I don't see how several filters can change barometric pressure, this is kinda hard to do.

But hey you'd look like Bane at least.
        "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

ya worst comes to worst and it does nothing, you will get weird looks and when you are asked why you have it on explain that it is pumping a powerful steroid called "venom" and that it keeps you basically alive and it enhances you physical abilities, including strength and healing process, to superhuman levels. Side effect is you become extremely mad and angry/crazy.

Honestly I dont understand why nolan did even dive into why bane needs the mask and what it does. I was let down that it was left out of the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by 0001Delta View Post
            I really don't think you can duplicate the effect of high altitude training.
            It's done in a barometric chamber.

On high altitudes the air actually has more oxygen (29%)
            , the partial pressure of it that's greatly reduced. I don't see how several filters can change barometric pressure, this is kinda hard to do.
            Where did you read / hear / learn this?...

--------------

I'd want to see that the mask can actually cause Hb and / or tissue desaturation, but if it creates enough inspiratory load to increase perceived exertion, I can imagine a psychological effect upon removing it that might improve performance.

Interestingly, just like training at altitude can limit endurance performance and thus possibly training stimulus and fitness. If this mask can actually make it so damn hard to breath that you can't effectively train, then it could do more harm than good.

I'd ask them about references, evidence (HbO2, VO2, blood lactate or pH, etc.), etc. A lot of the wording on the site is nebulous and kind of suspect to me...

Hell - EVERY SINGLE review gives it 5 stars... LOL

-S
            The Book Has Arrived!
            The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
            2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
            2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
              It's done in a barometric chamber.
              You can't duplicate it with a mask.

Where did you read / hear / learn this?...
              Standard chemistry/physics book , anything that talks about noble gases and atmospheric pressure. It's not an observed fact, but most charts indicates the concentraion of oxygen in sea-level air to be 20,84% oxygen, while on high altitude it's 30-29%, but the atmospheric pressure steadly decreases as altitude increases.

EDIT: I can't find any articles except wikipedia that are in agreement with me, so never mind.
              Last edited by 0001Delta; 09-16-2012, 08:56 AM.
              "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

I say a guy wearing one these (looked like a gas mask) other day at the gym. I just though he must be special or something and went on with my workout.
                "SET NO LIMITS"

"When the knees hurt you just wrap tighter."-Skip

2015 NPC Supplement Express:
                2014 NPC Sun City Regional:
                2013 NPC Sun City Classic:
                2010 NPC Virginia Grand Prix:
                2002 NPC Western Carolina:
                2002 NPC North Carolina State:

Use Discount Code MMH353..

Comment

Interestingly, just like training at altitude can limit endurance performance and thus possibly training stimulus and fitness. If this mask can actually make it so damn hard to breath that you can't effectively train, then it could do more harm than good.
                  Very good point.

Comment

Originally posted by v1hyp View Post
                    I say a guy wearing one these (looked like a gas mask) other day at the gym. I just though he must be special or something and went on with my workout.
                    do you live in ATL?

Comment

I have question about these altitude masks...Would only using them to train, even if it is every day, be sufficient to improve red blood cell count (assuming this mask is designed to mimic provide the same effects on red blood cells as training/living at high altitude) and thus the ability to provide oxygen to muscles?

Yes, living and training at high altitude will improve blood oxygen and respiratory function, but individuals performing this type of activity are spending prolonged time at altitude to elicit those changes.
                      Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                      2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                      2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

I live and train in CO, I wonder if I wore one of these if it would compound and simulate training on the moon?

In seriousness, it an interesting concept though I agree with Homon that as someone primarily interested in size and strength the reduction of oxygen would, in my opinion, be counter-productive.

Edit: many far crazier things have been done in the pursuit of results, you are not crazy, open-minded skepticism will always prevail.

Comment

Originally posted by 0001Delta View Post
                          You can't duplicate it with a mask.
                          Actually, if someone could come up with a filter containing a material or other form of technology that absorbs O2 under low CO2 conditions (inhalation) and then releases that bound O2 (to refresh the filter for the next inhalation) under high CO2 (exhalation), you could effectively reduce % O2 in the inspired air (without changing ambient barometric pressure) and create a physiological scenario of reduced Hb saturation.

Standard chemistry/physics book , anything that talks about noble gases and atmospheric pressure. It's not an observed fact, but most charts indicates the concentraion of oxygen in sea-level air to be 20,84% oxygen, while on high altitude it's 30-29%, but the atmospheric pressure steadly decreases as altitude increases.

EDIT: I can't find any articles except wikipedia that are in agreement with me, so never mind.
                          Roger that. Maybe you were thinking of the volume of air (vs. vol. at STP, i.e. 22.4L / mol) that contains 1 mole of O2 when at some particular altitude?...

(What do you mean by the bolded above?... )

-S
                          The Book Has Arrived!
                          The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
                            I have question about these altitude masks...Would only using them to train, even if it is every day, be sufficient to improve red blood cell count (assuming this mask is designed to mimic provide the same effects on red blood cells as training/living at high altitude) and thus the ability to provide oxygen to muscles?

Yes, living and training at high altitude will improve blood oxygen and respiratory function, but individuals performing this type of activity are spending prolonged time at altitude to elicit those changes.
                            Google "Live High Train Low" for some interesting discussion on altitude acclimatization (or hypobaric acclimation)...

-S
                            The Book Has Arrived!
                            The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

This reminds a bit of those kaatsu bands. Does anyone have experience using kaatsu/occlusion training either together with DC, or on its own. From what I have read so far, it is most used by non-bodybuilders in the rehab community. Although I have seen some clips of Layne Norton experimenting with occlusion training to finish up his workouts.
                              BTW I hope I dont offend the OP by somewhat hijacking the thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X