Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do the majority of gym goers just not understand the importance of progressive overlo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do the majority of gym goers just not understand the importance of progressive overlo

It always amazes me that in all the years Ive spent in gyms I rarely ever see someone jot down what they have done during the workout so they know what needs to be done next time round to continue to progress. Whenever i look back at my training history and the times where my growth was completely stalled it was always a period of time where i was stuck using the same weight for the same reps on various lifts. I imagine most of you guys reading this understand how critical it is, as you have or are using DC training...but it seems the vast majority just don't get it?

I honestly think that the vast majority of gym goers are just that... People that "go to the gym" - They want to "stay in shape" or "be healthy", or hell, just tell people that they go to the gym. I have a buddy that is 300+ pounds (NOT the good kind of 300+ pounds) and lists one of his interests/hobbies as "going to the gym"

I've known since day one that you have to do MORE in some way to progress. Usually some cycle of more reps, more weight, more reps, more weight, more reps, more weight...

Most people do NOT want to work hard. They do NOT want to think about their workouts at all, they just want to go to the gym. Even if you told them point blank that the secret is progressive overload, most wouldn't actively pursue it with any tenacity. They might have some vague idea of doing more over time, but they wouldn't suddenly start trying to do an extra rep or more weight

Comment

Because the majority of gym goers are not anal Andy’s who weigh and measure everything they eat, how much weight they lift, when they get an itchy ass, and know that its not the end of the world if they miss a workout..They are the ones who don’t let the gym or the lifestyle consume their lives..
      Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

Originally posted by anab0lic View Post
        It always amazes me that in all the years Ive spent in gyms I rarely ever see someone jot down what they have done during the workout so they know what needs to be done next time round to continue to progress. Whenever i look back at my training history and the times where my growth was completely stalled it was always a period of time where i was stuck using the same weight for the same reps on various lifts. I imagine most of you guys reading this understand how critical it is, as you have or are using DC training...but it seems the vast majority just don't get it?
        Using heavier and heavier weights is NOT the only way that you can grow more muscle.....Intensity comes in many forms, as does overloading a muscle. Sooner or later every single person on the planet will stagnate and not be able to progress with poundages, reps, or both. Progressive overload training systems are great while you are still gaining strength, but what happens when you have seemingly topped out strength wise, OR just don't wanna risk injury by pushing the limits as much? Quite simply, you need to find other ways to trick the body into growth.....

Yes, in certain training protocols progressive overload is the key, but outside of those training systems there are many other ways of creating intensity and showing the body a new type of stimulus to achieve new growth....in my opinion of course...
        STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

It's always funny when we (people who live weightlifting, bb'ing, pl'ing) don't see how people don't act like us. We are the weird ones, remember that. It's not normal to want to put 400 lbs on your back only to try and put 500 next year.

Comment

Thank you. I couldn't agree more.

As if everyone in the gym should be doing DC or go home. lol

Skip
            Originally posted by big ross View Post
            It's always funny when we (people who live weightlifting, bb'ing, pl'ing) don't see how people don't act like us. We are the weird ones, remember that. It's not normal to want to put 400 lbs on your back only to try and put 500 next year.

Facebook: Skip Hill
            Instagram: @intensemuscle
            YouTube: TEAMSKIP
            TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

Originally posted by Heckman View Post
              Because the majority of gym goers are not anal Andy’s who weigh and measure everything they eat, how much weight they lift, when they get an itchy ass, and know that its not the end of the world if they miss a workout..They are the ones who don’t let the gym or the lifestyle consume their lives..
              I dont know man... I know the kind of guys and gyms you are talking about as for a while I had to train in such places...but the kind of gyms I've been at in recent years are serious hardcore gyms....you know the kind that has a tiny cardio area in the corner and everything else is freewights and machines... filled with guys who are using drugs, eating high protein diets, all looking to grow.... yet none of them seem to 'get it.' And very few ever look any different.

Comment

Originally posted by anab0lic View Post
                I dont know man... I know the kind of guys and gyms you are talking about as for a while I had to train in such places...but the kind of gyms I've been at in recent years are serious hardcore gyms....you know the kind that has a tiny cardio area in the corner and everything else is freewights and machines... filled with guys who are using drugs, eating high protein diets, all looking to grow.... yet none of them seem to 'get it.' And very few ever look any different.
                Well, I guess I could be speaking for only the few I ever see at my gym since its 3:15 am when I get there and 4:30 when I leave..I would imagine if I went later in the day, it would be a different world..
                Heckman aka "WISE" OLD MAN

Comment

I think most people understand progressive overload, they just aren't that anal about it to write it down. I tried it once and it was quite boring writing down after every set what I had done. It took alot of the fun out of the session. With DC training however it is 100% necessery because it is so numbers based.

I think most average gym goers, myself included just use the 'work harder' principle whereby you do another dropset or another set of heavy curls and slap on as much weight as you can manage that day. You will get there eventualy with this style but its not the most efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken "Skip" Hill View Post
                    Thank you. I couldn't agree more.

As if everyone in the gym should be doing DC or go home. lol

Skip
                    Lol.

x2 on us being the weird ones, not them.

Comment

Been guilty of the no log book, no progress thing. Been training for twenty years, but honestly 16-17 of these were just the one year repeated over and over.

Only really trained with overload and log books for 2 or 3 years (this last 10 months being on IM is one of these positive times).

x 3 that we are the weird ones, don't see anyone else at my "fitness club" doing rest pause sets with static holds at the end, following by extreme stretches with grunts and curses!
                      "if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything..."

On board TEAM SKIP

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCrazy View Post
                        Lol.

x2 on us being the weird ones, not them.
                        Where the hell have you been? I've missed your passive-aggressive comments as of late
                        Max Muscle
                        5020 Katella Ave.
                        Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                        www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

I've very recently stopped using a log book. I'm still progressing, I don't find it that hard to remember what my best lifts are. I just try and improve over time not necessarily each and every workout.
                          Heavy squats fix everything.

Comment

the majority of gym goers at the gym where I go are football players (Aus version!)...A quote from one of them..."The 2 most important muscles, titties and arms" so that's the crowd at my gym...:pout:
                            Originally posted by thsfootball
                            Stressing about what's catabolic- catabolic

Comment

Originally posted by daneoz View Post
                              the majority of gym goers at the gym where I go are football players (Aus version!)...A quote from one of them..."The 2 most important muscles, titties and arms" so that's the crowd at my gym...:pout:
                              IMO most gyms really, including the more "hardcore" bodybuilding/powerlifting gyms. The difference is the equipment and the marginally greater number of serious lifters.

It's always funny watching pro bodybuilder DVDs as you have said pro working out hard, sweating, panting, etc, and in the background a number of scrawny 98 pounders doing concentration curls and watching said pro with weird looks on their faces... :hysterica
                              My Log: Back to Basics

Comment

Working...
                              X