Reverse Grip Drag Curls for Forearms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse Grip Drag Curls for Forearms

I was surprised to read a while back that the original 'drag curl' made famous by Gironda, were actually to be performed with a reverse (palms down) grip.

Just wandering if anybody else is doing these for their forearm exercise?

I had been using a standard olympic straight bar in the past ... but am going to try switching to an e-z curl bar today to see if it may feel better.

It is almost like doing an upright row ... but stopping right at the lower pec, and pulling the elbows back as you try to 'drag' the bar against your body as you pull the bar up.:llama:
    I train Dogg Crapp. When not training DC ... sometimes I train arms 3x to 5x per week. Sometimes I train 'modified dogg crapp' which includes an 'arms only' day.

Good post. I've been training for 23 years and can honestly say I've never tried this before. Thanks, I might give it a try during my next cruise.
    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Originally posted by DaveEboy View Post
      I was surprised to read a while back that the original 'drag curl' made famous by Gironda, were actually to be performed with a reverse (palms down) grip.

Just wandering if anybody else is doing these for their forearm exercise?

I had been using a standard olympic straight bar in the past ... but am going to try switching to an e-z curl bar today to see if it may feel better.

It is almost like doing an upright row ... but stopping right at the lower pec, and pulling the elbows back as you try to 'drag' the bar against your body as you pull the bar up.:llama:
      Did he also recommend a false grip when performing this exercise as well? I remember seeing this somewhere as well and it may help with the discomfort some people feel on this movement.
      FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
      If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

I do not know what was recommended by VG.

For me, straight bar or e-z curl bar, I use a regular grip with the thumb wrapped around the bar (NOT a thumbless grip). Even though I would say the thumb is a little 'loose' not like a vice grip type grip on the bar.

Rev. grip drag curls are indeed awkward at first. However...I think many will find them to be a superior and challenging forearm exercise if you can make it through the learning curve.

Sure...heaving around some nice-n-heavy pinwheel hammer curls is fun...rev. grip drag curls can be a bit humbling in terms of the weight you will use. Leave your ego at the door when you do these curls.
        I train Dogg Crapp. When not training DC ... sometimes I train arms 3x to 5x per week. Sometimes I train 'modified dogg crapp' which includes an 'arms only' day.

Comment

After reading this last night, had a go at them this morning after cardio.

First set traps got pump, but after relaxing upper back and "dragging" with the forearms got a really good pump. Only did them with Olympic bar to get feel.

Best results for forearms have been from Dantes thread on arm building for Cedric. The one arm reverse cable curls with cheat have done wonders for my skinny ass forearms.
          "if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything..."

On board TEAM SKIP

Comment

I came across the Rev. Grip drag curls by random (there's always someone thinking about it, or who has already thought about it) and really loved them. They instantly became my movement for forearms.

I've also done DB Inc. curls w/a hammer grip, or slightly reverse grip. Different feel, as they don't completely blow up the biceps like with a supinated grip.

I also did the 2-hand DB curls, and then read about them from Dante a few weeks after I tried them. Crazy to think of how many people have the same idea, but thankfully we have this site as an arena to spread all of this good knowledge.
            2010 NPC Northern Kentucky: Middleweight 3rd
            2011 INBF Dayton Tri-State: Light-Heavy 3rd
            Plans
            2013 INBF Buckeye Classic April: Light-Heavy 1st

Comment

Working...
            X