Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I always wanted to do a money saving and time saving thread on here with everyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I always wanted to do a money saving and time saving thread on here with everyone

****Feel free to add anything you want to this thread and maybe we can save each other some money in the long run.

Cell Phone Service: Ive been paying upwards of 200, 275 dollars a month for my wife and my cell phones (she is on pinterest alot and does business on there and i watch alot of red sox games)..... I am with ATT

My business partner months ago switched to Straightttalk which is unlimited data and everything for 45 bucks a month....and im just about to switch myself...so thats my peg for everyone in this first post.

The research of that company from people on the net and (my business partner) is they are extremely happy and the service is the exact same but saving gobs of money

Some things i wouldnt mind knowing about from people on this board

1) The Nest thermostat if anyone has that in their house if you could give me the lowdown on that

2) Organic meat and food....where do you buy yours? locally or on the net?
    Last edited by Doggcrapp; 07-26-2012, 12:36 PM.
    IG is

@dante_trudel

I go out to eat alot...(too much) mostly breakfast.....what i do which probably doesnt help you guys nationally is

I scan the mailers (Community, Yankee Clipper etc) that come in and "The Reader" which is a local San Diego magazine and if i find coupons for certain restraurants i eat at all the time, I do my best to get as many of those mailers as i can. I go to eat at a certain restraurant all the time and they always have coupons for 15% off so this really adds up if you are eating there almost daily for breakfast. You will pretty much end up eating there one time per week for free if you are steadfast with not throwing those mailers in the garbage and asking your family or friends not to throw theirs away either
    IG is

@dante_trudel

Comment

Dante,
      I'm not on the whole has to be organic thing for produce but I do buy a lot of stuff from local farmers at the farmers markets and its soooo much cheaper and better than at the store.

I don't know how it is in Cali, but over here a lot of farmers do not want the government traipsing on their land to get the organic certification, nevertheless they are in actuality organic.
      I mostly want to support sustainable eco friendly farming and that is what buying locally does.

Now meat and eggs is a whole nother story. I think we all know the benefits of grass fed beef/dairy, free range chicken/eggs etc. The best and cheapest way to get that stuff is through a local farmer. Many of them even have home delivery options if you are in the local area.

Another really cool option I'm looking into is joining a CSA. I forget what it stands for but basically its a community group that does group buys from a farm for a better price and they have it delivered to a few distribution points every month and you go and pick it up.

Sorry for the long post. Nuts and boots is that for bettter and/or organic food its cheaper to buy locally straight from the farm or at a farmers market.
      Heavy squats fix everything.

Comment

This probably doesn't apply to many, if any, people here, but for anyone in MN on government assistance of any kind (more specifically, SSI, Section 8, food stamps, TANF, medicaid, verteran admindisability benefits, national free school lunch program, fed soc sec disability, and bureau of ind affairs general assistance), there is a program available that gives you a cell phone and 250 minutes per month for free, with no contract and no forseable end to this program. You can use more than those minutes, so you don't have to worry about overage charges.

Call (612) 293-8859 for more details

(probably not what you had in mind Dante, but thought it might help someone)

This one is kinda obvious, but I have a Chase Freedom card that I put every single transaction I make onto. It has a rotating rewards program, so I get 1 or 2% back every day, but sometimes I save 5% on a given purchase. I have had the card for a year now (pay it off every month) and it has saved me around $300, which I was able to redeem as a credit on my account. Make your bills make you money, there is ZERO reason not to.

Before you get a new phone number, get a google voice number and give that one to everyone. Then get your new phone from the provider and sync it with your google voice number. This way you can essentially have unlimited texting for free because people will be texting your google voice number which is sent to your phone via data, without ever using a single text message from your service provider. (Terrible explanation, do a search for more info)
        Last edited by Macho Man; 07-26-2012, 01:14 PM.
        2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Here's a thing that can help save you some $$:

When I go to my local deli/butcher, I always ask if they have any "ends" left. Most deli's don't sell the ends of the meat they sell fresh and by the bound, like turkey breast, roast beef, pastrami, corned beef, etc. What my butcher does is sell the ends at a crazy reduced price; for instance, the Kosher roast beef is typically between 15-20 bucks per pound, but the ends are sold @3.99 per pound regardless of the meat. So I can walk out of the deli with a 5 pound bag of quality meat for 20 bucks.

When I'm cutting I'll stick with the lean cuts of turkey breast, extra lean corned beef, lean roast beef, etc. But if I'm dirtying it up a bit I'll take anything and everything they've got.
          Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

Originally posted by Macho Man
            This one is kinda obvious, but I have a Chase Freedom card that I put every single transaction I make onto. It has a rotating rewards program, so I get 1 or 2% back every day, but sometimes I save 5% on a given purchase. I have had the card for a year now (pay it off every month) and it has saved me around $300, which I was able to redeem as a credit on my account. Make your bills make you money, there is ZERO reason not to.
            The credit card is a easy, easy way to save BIG BUCKS on things like travel. There are sites dedicated to taking advantage of any and all things related to credit card bonuses, specifically mileage. If anyone wants to dip into the game, and it's a huge one, go check out the forums on Dansdeals.com and read up all you can in the credit card forum.

Last year I compiled over 200K+ miles via credit card bonuses which I flipped for a bunch of flights (domestic and international) and saved myself north of 2 thousand dollars while keeping my credit score very high.

I'd advise people to get in on the game.
            Use True Nutrition Discount Code YKF124 for 5-10% off of all orders from TRUENUTRITION.com!

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

Originally posted by dakoose View Post
              Last year I compiled over 200K+ miles via credit card bonuses which I flipped for a bunch of flights (domestic and international) and saved myself north of 2 thousand dollars while keeping my credit score very high.
              Which card do you use? I have a chase united AND a delta american express. I am considering switching over to a cash back card because i am finding that my miles are taking too long to rack up (maybe i just need to spend more :whoo. I have also noticed that Delta and United are jacking up the minimum amount of miles needed to redeem an award flight.
              Wanna save $$$ on your next protein purchase? Use TES117 for 5% off your order at www.truenutrition.com.

Comment

I buy my protein powder from truenutrtion.com in bulk, saves me a shitload. Real shocker for you Dante.
                :preach:

Comment

Originally posted by trojandogg View Post
                  Which card do you use? I have a chase united AND a delta american express. I am considering switching over to a cash back card because i am finding that my miles are taking too long to rack up (maybe i just need to spend more :whoo. I have also noticed that Delta and United are jacking up the minimum amount of miles needed to redeem an award flight.
                  I've got quite a few cards, lol. I signed up for a Chase Sapphire Preferred card early last year....I got a juicy bonus (I think 50K miles) after signing up and spending 3K in the first month, or something along those lines. I picked up 2 cards with US Airways Dividend Miles that I grabbed ~80K miles combined and also picked up 150K with Citibank cards, but this was all last year with very little spending on each card beyond what it took to reach the rewards threshold. I also opened up a Chase Ink Bold Charge card which also allows you to pick up a good bonus as well as transfer points to other mileage programs, which is really nice.

This year, for personal reasons, I knew I wouldn't have as much traveling time so I've kind of chilled out for a bit on the CC's, but like I said above, if you want up-to-date info on all the Credit Card goodies, hit up the DansDeals forums. Just make sure you know what you're doing and do enough research before diving in and signing up for Credit Cards.

My On-Site Log

My Off-Site Log

Comment

Dante,

I'm a systems Engineer for SIEMENS Building Technologies and the nest thermostat just allows you to program a schedule into the thermostat to control for occupancy. So set a certain temp for times you plan to be home so say you worked a 9-5 and leave at say 8am and get home at 6pm, you could set the thermostat to a higher temp to begin when you leave and say start to cool 15 minutes prior to getting home.

The only thing to remember is the larger the swing the harder your unit has to work, it's better for the unit to run constantly than shut off, run, shut off, that's why a lot of companies use VFD'd(variable frequency Drives) to regulate fan speed without starting and stopping causing inrush current spikes driving your electric costs. But this stat will save some money over the long term. Maybe something to look at for Truenutrition offices and warehouses also, SIEMENS that is.
                    For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

For meat, the best way to go is from a butcher or farmer, and cheaper than a supermarket. A very good cut of beef is "hanger/onglet steak" it's basically named hanger since butchers would traditionally hang into them. It's around the same leanness to my flank, and if cooked well (fried in a high heat) is almost as good as rump, for a fraction of a price.
                      Also, rather than buying extra lean beef from the supermarket, if you ask for braising steak mince, it's as cheap, and according to my experiments as lean. In Britain the prices for extra lean beef mince are through the roof.
                      Wild game can cheap, and incredibly tasty considering how lean it is. Hunters etc will bring it in to butchers and sell it for very little, some times in exchange for the butcher to pluck the birds etc. rabbit and hare are classed as game, they're as cheap as chickens, and leaner. Hope this helps, my dads a butcher so I know a few things about the food industry.

Comment

If you have a Costco membership, sign up for the Executive membership and get the AMEX card. On the AMEX card you get 2%-3% cash back on Costco purchases (including gas) and you get another 1% for being an executive member.

Add up a good chunk of your grocery purchases, your gas purchases, and miscellaneous stuff like household goods, lawn and garden stuff, electronics...etc. and you end up saving a TON! So not only do you save money by buying at Costco you essentially get your membership for free and then some extra cash every year when they send out your bonus rewards.
                        Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
                        2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
                        2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

For those that like milk and buy a lot of it

Goat milk is cheaper than cow milk. It packs more cals, the protein/fat content is better, there is little sugar and lactose, and it's not heavly processed like the normal milk you find on the supermarket ( you can't find it in other form besides Organic ), and it's a generally a healthier choice because a goat is way more active than a milking cow.

Downside is, it tastes bad.

Learned this from an Arab guy, said bodybuilders in Dubai drink it day round, and those guys are pretty big themselves.
                          "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

Stealing my parents credit card saves me a lot of money.

On a more serious note, giving myself a spending cap on miscellaneous activities that i get myself into, seems to be helping save money for the important things.
                            Last edited by vkk; 07-26-2012, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trojandogg View Post
                              Saw a news program where people would buy silver dollars on their credit card and return them back to their bank essentially getting frequent flyer miles for free.

Comment

Working...
                              X