Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from many years ago, looking for help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from many years ago, looking for help.

Hey everybody, I used to be very active on the forums and with DC training many years ago and got amazing results and was doing very well. I worked with DC for a long time as well, that's how I knew where to come back to.

I had some bad person struggles that lasted the last few years, and I now find myself not having worked out in forever, lost all muscle tone, very flabby, terribly out of shape, can barely move, eating junk food all the time, basically physically destroyed, from where I was at such a good point prior.

I guess I am looking for some help and guidance of where to start, and what to do etc... It's been a while and I don't really know how to go about it from where I'm at. I really appreaciate all the help, I feel just awful all the time and can't do it any longer.

Thanks everyone for the help.
    TRUEPROTEIN.COM
    --THE BEST QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS FOR THE ABSOLUTE LOWEST PRICES

Glad you've decided to get back in shape, I hope you succeed and develop habits that last for the rest of your life this time. No looking back.
    :preach:

Comment

Originally posted by babygetoboy View Post
      Hey everybody, I used to be very active on the forums and with DC training many years ago and got amazing results and was doing very well. I worked with DC for a long time as well, that's how I knew where to come back to.

I had some bad person struggles that lasted the last few years, and I now find myself not having worked out in forever, lost all muscle tone, very flabby, terribly out of shape, can barely move, eating junk food all the time, basically physically destroyed, from where I was at such a good point prior.

I guess I am looking for some help and guidance of where to start, and what to do etc... It's been a while and I don't really know how to go about it from where I'm at. I really appreaciate all the help, I feel just awful all the time and can't do it any longer.

Hey man, I sometimes go back over old posts by people like Gollum and Inhuman (goldmine of goodness) and I remember running across your name...welcome back.

Comment

I have no advice to give but best of luck to you and good on you for taking that first step, which is always the hardest.

-c
        #docswholift
        PGY-1 FM
        "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

I was in the same boat a few years back. I've lost 120 pounds and am approaching the best shape of my life. I don't have any specific workout advice. What I do know from experience is I had to walk before I could run, figuratively and literally. I had to be realistic. I wanted to go into the gym on day one and go through a HIT workout and do 3 hours of cardio. In the past, going all in at first would lead to me getting burned quickly and it was no fun. This time, it took me over 3 years, but I am right where I want to be.

If you have extensive workout experience in the past, it isn't going to take long for you to get in tune with your body. Good luck and stick with it. Getting back in shape is the best thing I have ever done and I have never felt better.

Comment

I can tell you from experience the hardest part is to start changing. Overcoming that inertia to just stay where you are at is incredibly difficult, but once you break it, it gets easier and easier to keep going.

I think a good first step is to start small. Just do one thing and keep at it for 5-7 days, then add something else. Like start with a 20-30 minute walk.
            Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
            kind of a douche

Comment

[QUOTE=Sammich;976321]I can tell you from experience the hardest part is to start changing. Overcoming that inertia to just stay where you are at is incredibly difficult, but once you break it, it gets easier and easier to keep going.

I think a good first step is to start small. Just do one thing and keep at it for 5-7 days, then add something else. Like start with a 20-30 minute walk.[/QUOTE]

x2. Something I wish I would have taken more seriously much earlier was doing some light cardio more often. 30 minutes on that treadmill at 3 mph or even less when starting out can really make a difference.

Also, maybe think about bodyparts/exercises that you really liked to do. Start with them and build from there.

Comment

Originally posted by pearlharbor1207 View Post
                I was in the same boat a few years back. I've lost 120 pounds and am approaching the best shape of my life. I don't have any specific workout advice. What I do know from experience is I had to walk before I could run, figuratively and literally. I had to be realistic. I wanted to go into the gym on day one and go through a HIT workout and do 3 hours of cardio. In the past, going all in at first would lead to me getting burned quickly and it was no fun. This time, it took me over 3 years, but I am right where I want to be.
                Originally posted by Sammich View Post
                I can tell you from experience the hardest part is to start changing. Overcoming that inertia to just stay where you are at is incredibly difficult, but once you break it, it gets easier and easier to keep going.

I think a good first step is to start small. Just do one thing and keep at it for 5-7 days, then add something else. Like start with a 20-30 minute walk.

As someone who went from playing volleyball year round in HS to a 198 lb smoker and back down to my current frame, I totally agree with all of this. When I started six years ago, I did 15 minutes on the elliptical. And that left me pretty winded.
                #docswholift
                PGY-1 FM
                "No idea is above scrutiny and no people are beneath dignity." -Maajid Nawaz

Comment

^^^^^^Very good advice. Keep the goals very small and achievable and you will be on your way. I know when I was out for an extended time, I'd try to do too much right off the bat and fail miserably. Then I would get down on myself and wonder why I couldn't really stick to anything. I think the mental aspect of getting back into things is just as important as any other facet. Once you can manage some small goals you are on your way....
                  STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Some great advice here. Take it a week a time and before you know it you'll be rolling again. Baby steps are the best when starting over again.

Use my discount code JHR112 and get 5% off at TrueProtein.com

"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weight!"-Ronnie Coleman

GET THE DAMN WEIGHT UP AND BEAT THE LOGBOOK WITH BIG WEIGHT JUMPS-Dante

Comment

just do it

Comment

Originally posted by babygetoboy View Post

i remember your name from way back. i think we worked with dc around the same time. i dont read this board much, was looking at the TN site and thought i would pop in here.

were you on Akits back then? wasnt sure.

anyway how detailed do you want suggestions?

i have had to rebuild a few times from long term layoffs. actually inconsistancy has been my most consistant thing. i wish it werent the case, but life sure does get in the way sometimes.

inspite of all my time not training and eating poorley i actually seem to consistanly get better and im much better shape now then when i didnt miss a day for 2 years.

since my last layoff which was about 3 years where maybe i trained a total of 3 months, i started at around 170lbs and flabby and have been staying a pretty lean 220-240. i was as heavy as 300 at one point but very fat, that was when i was younger though.

my goals are different now then when i was younger and i really like being lean. the way i do things now is a lot easier and more efficiet than back in the day too.

just getting back into things i find the biggest thing is staying healthy and not hurting yourself. your strength will come back pretty quick but be carefull not to push too hard take it very easy for a couple months.

try and do some morning cardio 3-4 times a week. just a walk when you wake up is good.

when i came back at first i kept training very basic, mwf, regular dc style split. for the first month just doing 4-5 sets per exercise. this is warm ups and all just the bar being the first set. if you wanted an idea of effort maybe last set to 70%ish in the 12-17 range.

also i feel proper warm up and recovery have been helpfull. 10 mins at least walking prior to training followed by 20 mins active recovery right after. pwo nutrion durring this time.

then progressivley increase intensity but in month to month sort of way. maybe think about doing a rest pause blast at the 3 month mark.

happy to share other things that have been helpfull if you want. ill check back to see.

good luck!

Comment

Working...
                        X