My squatting sucks....help me out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My squatting sucks....help me out.

So I've been doing DC for awhile now, love it.

I've never been a fan of the squat, I don't know why. You would think I would be a natural with this movement but the truth is my squatting sucks. I constantly see guys on here doing widowmakers with tremendous amounts of weight and I was hoping you could help me out.

Any of you awesome squatters out there walk me through how you perform the movement: Foot positioning, wheere the bar sits on you shoulders or traps, any tips on form...anything would help at this point.

if this is in the wrong forum or is better suited for another one the mods can relocate it for me and let me know.

Thanks in advancve.

Squatting is very individualistic and highly dependent upon anthropometrics. If you are 6'4" and long limbed, what works for a 5'5" short limbed person will more than likely not work for you.

Have you ever done much experimentation with your stances? I am also guessing before other folks comment, they are going to want to know some specifics (height, weight, experience, numbers).

Also, another piece of advice, stop comparing yourself to other people. Compare yourself to you.
    FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
    If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

I'm not experienced compared to other members here, but I'll offer my advice because I love squatting and got pretty good at it.

I'd ask you to post a video of you squatting and also post your stats, weight, height, prs. If you're doing DC you should inform your current blast, your order of exercises might be affecting your performance ( doing deads close to squats etc, etc. )

Another thing, what are your goals ? Are you currently training DC for strength or simply mass ? Both things walk hand in hand but you might be putting more emphasis on one than another, if so then some changes to your squatting style need to be made accordingly.

Data data data.
      "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

If your squats are that bad, how do you feel about leg press?
        …Time is so precious….and you need to ask yourself, what are you going to do today but more importantly, you need to ask yourself – how are you going to do it?

Comment

Not to steal the thread but where do you guys tend to place the bar? I've always put the bar pretty low but I know many put it up high on the traps saying they feel a more direct involvement with the quads.

Comment

let's see...I'm about 5'6, right now I'm sitting at a semi cut 190 (been up to almost 220), natural.

Leg press isn't a problem at all. I have limited equipment so I do one day "heavy" on the leg press (at least 20 reps, just started this blast so I'm using about 750 for this) and 1 day at 50 reps or more, I'm at about 515 with those and I got 53 last workout. I do one straight set on all quad movements but I try to keep my reps at about 20. I have lower back problems from a job I used to have so squatting has been an issue for me.

I usually put a bench behind me and lower until my ass touches then I come back up, I don't bottom out cause everytime I do my lower back is screaming.

I think my problem is all in the way I approach the movement.

I do the 3 way split not cause I'm an "advanced" trainer but because I have very limited time to train so I like to get in and get out as soon as possible.

a video of me doing the movement might be impossible, they had a problem with a pervert recording chicks working out at the gym I go to so cell phones are banned in the weight room.

any other info that is needed that I missed let me know.

Comment

I know from expierence of being a taller guy that many of us have flexability problems in our calves, achilles and feet to a small degree that others dont have and we dont even realize we have especially if you have longer tendons and shorter muscle bellies like myself. If you cant do an overhead squat to your heels with no weight without falling forward or a slew of other indicators, chances are either your hammies are weak or your missing a degree of flexability both of which would impact your squatting. For me, FMS or FST (not FST-7) stretching and some corrective type training has done wonders for me. I at one time had a great squat and deadlift due to my flexability. It a different game when you get over a certain height..

Comment

Search for "SquatRX" on YouTube. Then search for Mark Bell's videos he does for Supertraining gym on YouTube also.
                Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
                kind of a douche

Comment

Great read here:

http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=38245

Comment

so you think you can squat on youtube or elitefts was pretty awesome as well

Comment

I'll check the vids out, thanks for the input.

Comment

Also loot at EliteFts's "So you think you can Squat" videos.

Stance, stance, stance. Very individualistic, as noted above.
                        TRUE PROTEIN Discount Code- CSH730

Comment

Also, you must tailor your squat to your goal.

The EFS squat video series is a good video, but you must realize it is tailored to a specific audience. Keep in mind it is focused on developing the parallel wide stance squat in the most efficient manner possible.

The key is to experiment and find what works best for you. I like the first diagnostic test in this article to help find a starting point for stance width. One thing in your case as well, is doing this test should allow you to keep your lower back in a position to keep it from hurting. I am guessing part of the reason your lower back receives pain during a deeper squat is due to some possible rounding.

@Cooporilla, I personally typically favor a very high bar squat. Of course, with regards to this, my primary squat objective is to build and maintain reserve squat strength for the snatch & clean.
                          FEAR THE FROG

Originally posted by John Broz
                          If your family was captured and you were told you needed to put 100 pounds onto your max squat within two months or your family would be executed, would you squat once per week? Something tells me that you'd start squatting every day. Other countries have this mindset. America does not.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnCaesar View Post
                            Squatting is very individualistic and highly dependent upon anthropometrics. If you are 6'4" and long limbed, what works for a 5'5" short limbed person will more than likely not work for you.

Have you ever done much experimentation with your stances? I am also guessing before other folks comment, they are going to want to know some specifics (height, weight, experience, numbers).

Also, another piece of advice, stop comparing yourself to other people. Compare yourself to you.
                            oh, I really wasn't looking to compare myself to anyone on here. I just know that some guys on here have the ability to handle tremendous amounts of weight on this particular movement that's why I'm asking for advice here. Obviously alot of guys here have alot of experience with squatting and maybe there are little things they do that they found worked great for them, that's what I was looking for. I almost feel liek I need to contact someone locally to watch me do some movements and see if my "body mechanics" on that movement are just off.

I'm gonna be 40, I stopped letting my ego get in the way of my training along time ago, if I didn't I would never have posted that original post. I only really compare myself with me and what I THINK I'm capable of doing. I think I have the structure and the desire to be a great squatter, I just don't have the "tools" to get from point A to point "B if that makes any sense.

Comment

In all honesty it almost don't matter what the lift is....its hard to judge without SEEING. Unless you live in Podunk you should have another gym in the area. Go for a day and tape yourself...don't tape yourself with just the bar or anything either...use the wt you would use for a work set.

Your 5'6" but you could be 5'6" with long legs, with short legs, with a long waist, etc...

Peace
                              Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                              Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
                              Nicki Minaj

Comment

Working...
                              X