In search of exercises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In search of exercises

Ever since i can remember my shoulders have been fucked up. As a child i popped them out of their socket multiple times a month and lacrosse injures only made it worse. This has made it rather difficult for me to find exercises that don't mess with my shoulders. Dumbbells, Barbells, Hammer Machines and even the smith machine hurt them, but using other machines doesn't.

For example on shoulders, i do power squat push presses and military presses, which feel natural and doesn't mess with my shoulders at all. I've tried hard to find lifts for my chest and triceps that don't mess with my shoulders, but can't find any. What i'm thinking is that there might be some unique and unconventional lift that won't mess with me. Before i did power squat push press and military presses, i thought i could never work shoulders again, but now i can. There has to be some variation that's out there.

Anyone know of any? DC'ers are generally known for doing many unconventional exercises( for most gym goers) that work great: rack chins, smith wide reverse bench, sumo legpress, etc.

Once i can find good movements for my chest and triceps i can actually start DC, which i can't wait for!!!

What about hack squat shoulder press or hack push press. There have been a couple videos on here during the shoulder press ISOM, I'm sure you could find if you searched hard enough. I can't remember the month off hand. Basically you stand facing the hack machine and can do presses/push presses. Perhaps the slightly angled direction of impact might alleviate some pain? Just a quick thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Travis View Post
      What about hack squat shoulder press or hack push press. There have been a couple videos on here during the shoulder press ISOM, I'm sure you could find if you searched hard enough. I can't remember the month off hand. Basically you stand facing the hack machine and can do presses/push presses. Perhaps the slightly angled direction of impact might alleviate some pain? Just a quick thought.
      I've acutally tried those. They felt weird but my gym's hack machine sucks lol.
      I'm not sure how they would hit the chest though?

Comment

My mistake, I thought you were looking for shoulder movements. Misread you were looking for chest movements that didn't aggravate shoulder. Apologies...

Comment

DB Press to Flye - Press the DBs up and bring them down like a flye. It really burns on the negative.

Neutral DB Presses will put your shoulders in a different position than regular DB presses

DB Floor press and Neutral DB floor presses (with neutral you can bring the DBs in close and make it a triceps exercise)

Close Grip Bench Press Lockouts in a cage

Overhead Close Grip Military Press Lockouts (for triceps)

Those are few I had on the top of my head....
          Be true to yourself and fuel your body with nothing less the highest quality supplements. Only available at TrueNutrition.com Use discount code: KSP945 to save 5% on your order!

Stickies...just read the damn stickies...

2014 Xcalibur Cup Bantam Open - 1st
          2014 Tracey Greenwood Classic Bantam Open - 1st
          2015 Beat Cancer!

Comment

My shoulders are shot but some of the chest movements I can do are a lifefitness machine press, low incline smith bench, surprisingly I can do flat DB presses (higher reps sets) but not DB incline. Best advice I can give is go in the gym one day and just experiment. You may find you have better luck with just machines which for some there are concerns that you lack the benefits of stabilization training with machines but if you don't play a sport where stabilization comes into play then it's a non-issue. Also, as we get older and/or deal with injuries and weak-links in our bodies, we sometimes we just got to accept what we can do regardless.
            -KidRok-
            "...because I won't accept that I can't."

www.https://Truenutrition.com/
            5% OFF with Discount Code "FXL222"

https://www.facebook.com/hopsfitnessxl

Comment

Originally posted by mentalflex View Post
              DB Press to Flye - Press the DBs up and bring them down like a flye. It really burns on the negative.

Neutral DB Presses will put your shoulders in a different position than regular DB presses

DB Floor press and Neutral DB floor presses (with neutral you can bring the DBs in close and make it a triceps exercise)

Close Grip Bench Press Lockouts in a cage

Overhead Close Grip Military Press Lockouts (for triceps)

Those are few I had on the top of my head....
              I tired ALL of these today. They all felt painful once i went heavy.
              The one exercise i did find comfortable on my shoulders was the Nautilus Nitro Bench Press Machine. The reason it hurt was because it stopped the weight when my elbows and shoulders made a 90 degree angle. The problem with all other machine presses (even hammer strength) is that the weight starts too close and i have to stretch my shoulder too far back to start it.

Comment

Originally posted by deadliftgoal500 View Post
                Ever since i can remember my shoulders have been fucked up. As a child i popped them out of their socket multiple times a month and lacrosse injures only made it worse. This has made it rather difficult for me to find exercises that don't mess with my shoulders. Dumbbells, Barbells, Hammer Machines and even the smith machine hurt them, but using other machines doesn't.

For example on shoulders, i do power squat push presses and military presses, which feel natural and doesn't mess with my shoulders at all. I've tried hard to find lifts for my chest and triceps that don't mess with my shoulders, but can't find any. What i'm thinking is that there might be some unique and unconventional lift that won't mess with me. Before i did power squat push press and military presses, i thought i could never work shoulders again, but now i can. There has to be some variation that's out there.

Anyone know of any? DC'ers are generally known for doing many unconventional exercises( for most gym goers) that work great: rack chins, smith wide reverse bench, sumo legpress, etc.

Once i can find good movements for my chest and triceps i can actually start DC, which i can't wait for!!!
                What's the diagnosis on your shoulders?... Do you have any structural damage or clinically observable joint laxity?...

Are you doing rotator cuff work to stabilize the joints?...

-Scott
                The Book Has Arrived!
                The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

The diagnosis is that my shoulders lack stability and can't stay in their sockets. Whenever i move my shoulder i hear some crackling sound.
                  The only thing that makes them feel better is Power Snatches weirdly enough.

Comment

You spoke of reverse grip bench, ever tried those? I'm going to put them in my next blast (Smith version) because I tried them out and loved them. If you want more pec involvement, adjust so the bar hits a little higher, at or right below the nips. I've noticed that the closer to the head you adjust, the wider you gotta grip, so take that into consideration.

I know this sounds elementary but do you keep your shoulder blades pinched and down? My buddy's shoulders would always pop out but when he started doing this he has had no problems.

Decline hammer strength machine keeps my shoulders safe and I really feel the pec/pec minor getting worked. Great stretch too.

Close grip incline bench works well...especially if you squeeze at the top the pec gets good stimulation.

As long as you're going heavier and heavier your tris are going to get torched as a corollary.
                    Max Muscle
                    5020 Katella Ave.
                    Los Alamitos, CA 90720
                    www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

Originally posted by deadliftgoal500 View Post
                      The diagnosis is that my shoulders lack stability and can't stay in their sockets. Whenever i move my shoulder i hear some crackling sound.
                      The only thing that makes them feel better is Power Snatches weirdly enough.
                      Are you doing rotator cuff work to stabilize the joints?...

-Scott
                      The Book Has Arrived!
                      The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                      2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                      2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Second on the rotator cuff thing ^ he said.

I'm just curious- have you ever tried floor presses or pin presses?

And, just to throw an idea out there- lats are very important as far as stabilizing any pressing movement, so don't neglect that aspect of it.

Comment

Working...
                        X