wide shoulders for tall skinny guys..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wide shoulders for tall skinny guys..

this is just my personal experience, but feel its the way to go for me, so hope someone else can get som results from it too

anyways, if you're like me, tall and skinny with long arms, shoulderpresses wont help you much.

if you do the two split with chest first, a press exercise, since there's no way to get stronger for a long period with only flyes and crossovers, your triceps is guarranteed to give out before your shoulders if you choose a press exercise. thats why i think its better to use a compund exercise for shoulders that doesnt involve triceps, like widegrip uppright rows.

i find this form to be optimal for hitting the side delts aswell as keep getting stronger for a long time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us9nmWxd_Ys

i use a couple of other exersices to, wich is hard to explain, but can try to put them on youtube if someones interessted...?

I'M NOT SAYING THIS IS THE CURE FOR EVERYBODY! but i feel this is the best way to go if you have long arms or for some other reason cant do presses.. personally, i think alot of people actually reaches failure in the triceps before shoulders when doing shoulderpresses, without realising it, but thats a different story

hope this can help someone!

Tall (6'5") skinny guy here, been doing shoulder presses for 4+ years. Not much shoulder definition.

I am going to start mixing laterals in that is for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by SkinnyMike42 View Post
      Tall (6'5") skinny guy here, been doing shoulder presses for 4+ years. Not much shoulder definition.

Not much shoulder definition or not much shoulder size? Seeing the three delt heads split means you hafta have b/f low enough for your skin to shrink wrap the muscle.....Once you are lean enough, regardless of your shoulder size, you should be able to see all the muscles....

Now as far as having width, I feel like the OP is correct. I have gotten my shoulder pressing fairly strong, but never really had much side delt until I started doing laterals. Upright rows hurt my wrists and elbows, but with side laterals I'm fine. It has def added width to my frame....Skip also shows a lateral movement in his DVD that is a combo of rear/side delt. I do this one as well.....
      STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

I meant size Steele.

I have very narrow shoulders. My front delts are decent, but nothing has grown on the side.

Comment

I meant size Steele.

I have very narrow shoulders. My front delts are decent, but nothing has grown on the side.
          That's what I thought....lol. Seriously though, heqavy laterals I think would make a difference. Think about how long our arms are and our triceps. Makes sense that we could get strong pressing, but not see a ton of size....it's time to ISOLATE! lol
          STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Hell yeah, brb mixing in laterals.

Comment

I have found strict seated laterals, RP for 20 to 30, to be a must use for one of my primary exercises. I'm 6'5" as well.

Use my discount code JHR112 and get 5% off at TrueProtein.com

"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weight!"-Ronnie Coleman

GET THE DAMN WEIGHT UP AND BEAT THE LOGBOOK WITH BIG WEIGHT JUMPS-Dante

Comment

When I was young I bought into the idea that only compound exercises are necessary. A few years down the road, and I saw myself in the mirror with developed front delts and a total lack of the lateral & rear delt.

After I started using isolation exercises (laterals & rear laterals), I finally got the delts that looked much more like the ones I wanted...

p.s. One of the best exercises for the rear delts are definately the rear dumbell swings, something I first saw John Meadows doing:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxFs72mYYsM&feature=endscreen&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]
                Last edited by titanium_spine; 04-05-2012, 03:22 PM.

Comment

i would rather press than laterals.
                  i think compound exercises is by far the best way to go. wide grip uppright rows is a good compund exercise for the sholder, that let you work the shoulder to true failure. you can do them with a barbell, different ways with a cable, dumbells and a smith machine. multijoint exercises is by far the best when you need mass, and they are the only exercises you can get stronger and stronger all the time without loosing form.

people have been doing laterals since day one, but how often do you see someone lifting serious weight with good form. for that matter, how often can they increase the weight?

Comment

Originally posted by titanium_spine View Post
                    When I was young I bought into the idea that only compound exercises are necessary. A few years down the road, and I saw myself in the mirror with developed front delts and a total lack of the lateral & rear delt.

After I started using isolation exercises (laterals & rear laterals), I finally got the delts that looked much more like the ones I wanted...

p.s. One of the best exercises for the rear delts are definately the rear dumbell swings, something I first saw John Meadows doing:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxFs72mYYsM&feature=endscreen&NR=1[/YOUTUBE]
                    Yes, these are excellent. I also like to do them for standing laterals. Great exercise.

Standing I strap up with 70s and do partials for 30-60 reps then drop to a much lower weight and rep out. Really feel it in my side delts.

Comment

What's your lockout like when you press? I see way too many guys turn any sort of press into a quasi high incline bench press where the bar ends up roughly above their pecs (good example and not hating on Jim at all because he's pressing 240 for reps and I haven't hit that it just show the form I'm talking about real well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxXWLI5AjLY). You should lockout out above scapula, that way you're actually hitting lateral delts more (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJFjYyA40ss, good explanation). Same thing with a lot of guys that do DB presses.

Alternatively, you could do BTN presses because you always gonna lock out above scapula due to the mechanics of the lift (yes I'll catch shit for this because I'm recommending BTN presses but IMO if they hurt your shoulders then you're shoulders were already jacked up, I know mine were and after I vastly improved my shoulder mobility they didn't hurt at all).
                      Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

3/4 presses seem to work pretty well for "bodybuilding" for longer armed people. Like press from the clavicle or at least under chin up to about 4-5" shy of lockout. I can actually do a lot like that, have strict pressed 90k (200) for 15-20 several times. Way easier for reps than doing full range with a full lockout, etc.

I guess this form (on the first several reps) shows what I mean:

[YOUTUBE]XJA2_PyY7f8[/YOUTUBE]
                        PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

There are various opinions about the wide-grip upright row. Here's a quote from Jim Cordova:

"Speaking of side deltoid development, a fail-proof method to ensure that you never reach your full muscular potential in this region is to rely on side raising movements to build them. Compound movements are essential to maximize hypertrophy of the side delt region just as they are for every other bodypart. Why would they be any different? Relying on side raises to maximize growth of the side delts is like depending on flys or cable cross-overs for maximum hypertrophy of the chest, extensions for the quads, or front raises for the anterior deltoids. So, you should not rely on side-raises as the chief exercise for the side delts, with the consistent application of the various forms of upright rowing movements being necessary to maximize the flare of this region".

As I recall, Charles Glass was a big fan of wide-grip upright rows, and so was Vince Gironda who said the they are the best exercise for broader shoulders that he knew of...

Then there's Dorian Yates who says that it's a completely useless exercise...

Anyway, here are two interesting articles to read:

http://www.jimcordova.com/articles/details.php?id=31

http://www.jimcordova.com/articles/details.php?id=32

Comment

This...Great example, John really has figured out a way to incorporate and cycle through different exercises for incredible results. He wasn't born with wide clavicles, but has created the illusion that he is much wider than he is. I will be working with him during this off season. I'm looking forward to reporting back my experience. I've known and trained around John in the past, but this will be my first time doing Mountain Dog Training. Although, I don't think using these exercises to build bigger delts is complicated, I do think you still need to keep an eye on progression (not necessarily weight, but intensity and weight). This last off season I messed around with some of the concepts of Mountain Dog and had some great results so I'm very interested in seeing what a strict adherence to his training will result in.

Originally posted by titanium_spine View Post

1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
                            2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
                            2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
                            2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
                            2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
                            2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
                            Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

^ I did some of those today 'Hang and Swing'.. Talk about a burn!

Comment

Working...
                              X