Standing BB Row Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standing BB Row Form

After reading one of Dante's threads telling us to fuck around with ROM and try "weird" things, I been experimenting with BB rows (among others).

I've done BB rows in two different ways.

Version 1: I go for maximum weight and a ROM where my elbows just about lock out (barely shy).

Version 2: I go for a full ROM including a stretch, letting my shoulder drop down a bit. I can't use as much weight obviously as version 1.

So what do you guys say, which is best for hypertrophy? I just started trying #2 and want to make sure others have injured themselves doing so.

Thoughts?

I personally would think that rounding your shoulders may be a bad thing. Yes, you'll get more of a stretch, but can you round them without loosening up form with regard to your back? After sustaining a bad back injury while doing barbell rows, I'm skeptical that anything other than damn near perfect form is good for you on this movement. Others may disagree, as back injuries are very individual....

You could also try Pendlay Rows. You get the stretch and then release the tension off the lower back, as you unload the weight.....
    STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Stickler for form on bent rows. If my form feels the littlest bit off I just terminate the set. I tend to be a form nut overall but on some exs... I am a paranoid form nut.

My rows...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI7_...e_gdata_player

Peace.
      Last edited by thedunhill225; 03-29-2012, 10:12 PM.
      Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
      Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
      Nicki Minaj

Comment

If I was you I would stick with nearly full ROM with good weight. With standing bb rows there are overhand, underhand, pendlay, Yates, and I'm pretty sure I'm missing a few. All of these are at different angles and can be performed dirty to get the last few reps.
        Rounding your back or letting your shoulder blades round forward is a big nono dude. Doing that your asking for a strain in your erectors, rhomboids, lats, and even the front of your core.

Comment

Pendlay rows off pins with a belt is my favorite back movement right now. I set the pins at a height so my elbows are slightly bent and my back is 80-90 degrees. The elbows being bent keeps the tension off the biceps so the initial pull is with your back.

Comment

I prefer to do rowing movements where my lower back gets a rest, because of all the heavy deadlifting and squatting we do.
            I like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp8YOWl6pX8

Comment

Originally posted by dcwannabee View Post
              I prefer to do rowing movements where my lower back gets a rest, because of all the heavy deadlifting and squatting we do.
              I like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp8YOWl6pX8
              I've done those with db's and even a cambered bar. His angle being used is basically a lazy mans pendlay row.

Comment

Off Blocks

I like to do rows from a deadstop, ie each rep starts from the floor or 4 inch blocks.

It stops me cheating, every rep you have to start from very deep and there is no momentum.

I prefer off low blocks instead of the floor, as I round my back if i lift from the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by bluto View Post
                  I like to do rows from a deadstop, ie each rep starts from the floor or 4 inch blocks.

It stops me cheating, every rep you have to start from very deep and there is no momentum.

I prefer off low blocks instead of the floor, as I round my back if i lift from the ground.
                  X2. I do mine in a smith machine though and set the stoppers up to come to a dead stop

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by thedunhill225 View Post
                    Stickler for form on bent rows. If my form feels the littlest bit off I just terminate the set. I tend to be a form nut overall but on some exs... I am a paranoid form nut.

My rows...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI7_...e_gdata_player
                    I don't have a video of myself doing them and I realize I'm a nobody, but that form isn't all that great.

Comment

Originally posted by FRANK_KOVACIC View Post
                      I don't have a video of myself doing them and I realize I'm a nobody, but that form isn't all that great.
                      I think you are a somebody Frank. You're good enough, smart enough, and dawgonnit, people like you!
                      2010 NPC North Star

Comment

Lol, I was thinking the same. Mind muscle connection must be amazin because I can't see that workin the lats. Your set shows the problem with a wider grip, your grip appears wide there from the angle. You're not getting much of a pull in the elbows and they're going so high you're completely missing your lats. That exercise your doing is great for rear delt, trap, and rhomboids. Building that yolk!!!

Comment

That's fine. I think the form is tight but you are entitled to your opinion. I don't jerk with my back at all, keep my back arched and tight, rep speed is controlled and I stay in the 40-45* angle the whole time. I am curious what you see as being wrong or lose when it comes to my form
                          Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
                          Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
                          Nicki Minaj

Comment

I made a wooden bench to attach to my home smith machine for rows. I use a piece of pipe to span the width and it attaches in the free weight lockouts, then the bench goes on that and the rear support. I use the smith bar for the movement, and it is flat out awesome! My one concern is that with my bodyweight and the weights I'm using, something may break in the near future. I may have to beef it up a bit...lol
                            STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

I think Dunhills form is acceptable. The thing with rows is that if you always stay super strict, you will never progress after a while. Do you think he is going to gain more mass with the 405 the way he does or doing 275 super strict? DEFINITELY THE 405.

Sometimes people forget that overloading the negative portion of a lift leads to muscle gain. I prefer to keep my back close to horizontal with a belt (off pins) because the negative portion absolutely obliterates your lats.

Comment

Working...
                              X