warmup for 20rep squat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warmup for 20rep squat

today i did a 20rep squat with a 40kg pr..

allways had a problem with breathing on those, rather than muscular failure.. but today i had no problem with the breathing due to a new warmup drill i tried. read an article about heart health where they outlined the shortest possible workout to ensure optimal heart function.

anyways, the warmup on the stationary bike went like this:
    (really light ressistanse by the way)

- 20sek sprint, 10sek slow, 20sek sprint, 10sek slow,

dont sound like much, but it really gets your pulse up, without getting pumped or tired in the legs

hope this helps someone else to!
    Last edited by høggern; 03-28-2012, 02:35 PM.

That's tobata protocol, which is no joke. If you go 4 minutes it'll knock you on your ass.

Comment

Originally posted by big ross View Post
      That's tobata protocol, which is no joke. If you go 4 minutes it'll knock you on your ass.
      x2. lol Warm up?!
      PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSkull View Post
        x2. lol Warm up?!
        It may feel like to much for a warm up, but how can you do a widowmaker and really take it to failure unless you also get your heart and lungs prepared for it

Comment

Originally posted by høggern View Post
          It may feel like to much for a warm up, but how can you do a widowmaker and really take it to failure unless you also get your heart and lungs prepared for it
          Sorry big boy but how are you supposed to after that? I haven't dc'd in a very long time but squats were done at the very end of the workout with the widow maker following it. Assuming that you've already done multiple exercises and should be warm.

Comment

Sorry big boy but how are you supposed to after that? I haven't dc'd in a very long time but squats were done at the very end of the workout with the widow maker following it. Assuming that you've already done multiple exercises and should be warm.
            i see your point, but i feel a good warmup is something you carry with you trought the whole workout.
            -if you du the two-split, you muscles will be warm without a doubt when you get to squatting. but how much have you worked and prepared your heart an lungs for a 20rep squat?

if you see the warmup drill, its not a marathon, its only 3mins, and done with very litle ressistance on the pedals it doesnt stress your legs or build up lactic acid.

a good warmup is half the workout

Comment

today i did a 20rep squat with a 40kg pr..

allways had a problem with breathing on those, rather than muscular failure.. but today i had no problem with the breathing due to a new warmup drill i tried. read an article about heart health where they outlined the shortest possible workout to ensure optimal heart function.

anyways, the warmup on the stationary bike went like this:
              (really light ressistanse by the way)

dont sound like much, but it really gets your pulse up, without getting pumped or tired in the legs

hope this helps someone else to!
              What were you squatting with for your widowmaker before you set this PR?... (If I'm reading you right, you were able to improve your 20 rep PR by 40g or 88lb?...)

What was the rest interval between the above 3 min protocol and starting your widowmaker?...

Where does this "warm-up" fit in with regard to your heavy set(s) and WM set?... (What is your heart rate after your heavy set such that you don't feel you've elevated it enough to be "ready" for the WM?...)

-S
              The Book Has Arrived!
              The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
              2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
              2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                What were you squatting with for your widowmaker before you set this PR?... (If I'm reading you right, you were able to improve your 20 rep PR by 40g or 88lb?...)

What was the rest interval between the above 3 min protocol and starting your widowmaker?...

Where does this "warm-up" fit in with regard to your heavy set(s) and WM set?... (What is your heart rate after your heavy set such that you don't feel you've elevated it enough to be "ready" for the WM?...)

-S
                Dont get me wrong, its not a 40k 1rm pr, but its the first time i didnt run out of oksygen at a widowmaker. First time i had no problem breathing whatsoever. Used 120kg for 20 today. Allways had trouble with reps, so this was a good experience. Beltless pr in squat is 250kg by the way.

Did the warmup prior to biceps, and felt it helped the entire workout. My heart rate is fairly high after my heavy set, but i dont feel i qualifyes as a cardiovascular preparation alone.

Not trying to critic DC or anything, just saying a good warmup helps

Comment

Dont get me wrong, its not a 40k 1rm pr,
                  What did you mean in your OP wrt 40kg?...

but its the first time i didnt run out of oksygen at a widowmaker. First time i had no problem breathing whatsoever.
                  This sounds entirely psychological to me so far. "No problem breathing whatsoever" sounds like it was too easy.

Used 120kg for 20 today. Allways had trouble with reps, so this was a good experience. Beltless pr in squat is 250kg by the way.
                  From that, it does sound like you're lacking in cardiovascular conditioning and/or muscular endurance.

Did the warmup prior to biceps, and felt it helped the entire workout.
                  This sounds like a DC training order, although you're not trying to do DC training, so you say. However, for DC training, the limiting factor should not be remotely close to being cardiovascular for most of the workout (the exception being WM's for quads, SLDL's one way the can be done with DC training and perhaps a few other instances).

The only mechanism that I can think of whereby preparatory cardiovascular exercise might enhance resistance training performance would be by clearance of lactic acid / elevation of blood pH (which is iffy as a mechanism of fatigue in and of itself) in the pre-exercised muscles (legs in your case), i.e., by acting as a sink in reforming glycogen from lactate formed in the musculature undergoing the resistance exercise. (I have a paper at home demonstrating this.) This is a HUGE stretch.

My heart rate is fairly high after my heavy set, but i dont feel i qualifyes as a cardiovascular preparation alone.
                  I don't know of any physiological (including cardiovascular) mechanism whereby exercise performed >30min previous would have such a substantial effect on performance during a high rep. squat. My guess is that this is psychological (I guess you could consider that neurological... and thus physiological) in that you're readying yourself (hell, just waking the hell up) with that warm-up.

Not trying to critic DC or anything, just saying a good warmup helps
                  And that's for DAMN sure. I actually like your idea, to be honest (am just dubious of the mechanisms you're putting forth), esp. for someone who maybe trains after a long work day, trains really early, doesn't have a good gym environment, etc.

If it works...

If you're not trying to do DC, what are you trying to do, BTW?... (I can't tell if you're backpedaling a bit, after posting this in the DC forum. I mean,heck, no one has EVER jumped on someone for doing DC training when they're not ready, for changing DC training around, or for any other reason.... LOL )

-Scott
                  The Book Has Arrived!
                  The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                  2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                  2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

It was a 40kg 20rep pr..

Yeah it might be an endurance issue for me with reps, due to training mostly powerlifting and strongman for a couple of years now. Allways had problems with alot of things with the WM due to hernia etc, but no matter what the reason, I felt this gave me a boost for the highrep training, so hope others allso will benefit from it

I am doing the 2split DC training by the way been lifting for ten years now, so i think im ready. Got 305kg raw dedlift at 95kg bodyweight, and hoping to add some mass all over.

If my posts sounds wierd sometimes its because i use english once every year other than reading here

Thanks for a polite and innsigtfull answer, and not making everything a “hadcore or not“ issue

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post
                      What did you mean in your OP wrt 40kg?...

This sounds entirely psychological to me so far. "No problem breathing whatsoever" sounds like it was too easy.

From that, it does sound like you're lacking in cardiovascular conditioning and/or muscular endurance.

This sounds like a DC training order, although you're not trying to do DC training, so you say. However, for DC training, the limiting factor should not be remotely close to being cardiovascular for most of the workout (the exception being WM's for quads, SLDL's one way the can be done with DC training and perhaps a few other instances).

The only mechanism that I can think of whereby preparatory cardiovascular exercise might enhance resistance training performance would be by clearance of lactic acid / elevation of blood pH (which is iffy as a mechanism of fatigue in and of itself) in the pre-exercised muscles (legs in your case), i.e., by acting as a sink in reforming glycogen from lactate formed in the musculature undergoing the resistance exercise. (I have a paper at home demonstrating this.) This is a HUGE stretch.

I don't know of any physiological (including cardiovascular) mechanism whereby exercise performed >30min previous would have such a substantial effect on performance during a high rep. squat. My guess is that this is psychological (I guess you could consider that neurological... and thus physiological) in that you're readying yourself (hell, just waking the hell up) with that warm-up.

And that's for DAMN sure. I actually like your idea, to be honest (am just dubious of the mechanisms you're putting forth), esp. for someone who maybe trains after a long work day, trains really early, doesn't have a good gym environment, etc.

If it works...

If you're not trying to do DC, what are you trying to do, BTW?... (I can't tell if you're backpedaling a bit, after posting this in the DC forum. I mean,heck, no one has EVER jumped on someone for doing DC training when they're not ready, for changing DC training around, or for any other reason.... LOL )

-Scott
                      Showing of that knowledge of yours. I got a bachelors in KIN and an working on a masters in OT and got the bare minimun of what your saying. Also, your nick is awesome, sounds cool and if googles is pretty awesome.
                      I that that if that was really easy or you in phenomenal shape(real tobata shouldn't have been easy at all) it maybe primes your CNS and increases cardiac output which possibly might help with the multi rep set.

Comment

Its not super easy, but i`ve been doing that routine 5 times a week for a year, so im used to it

Comment

Ok that's good. But if you do it all the time why would that be the variable that allowed you to make the pr? More likely you really nutted up and did work.

Comment

Ok that's good. But if you do it all the time why would that be the variable that allowed you to make the pr? More likely you really nutted up and did work.
                            Usually been doing them in the morning and as a warm up, but never before leg training.. Could be just a lucky shot, but i`ll try them next time to.. worst case scenario i`ll just get in better shape
                            But it still feel it`s it important to get you blood flowing properly to ensure maximun performance, and it`s something that usually gets overlooked.

Comment

I actually am gonna do some intervals as a warm up. Not balls to the wall but a similar protocol. Your also smart about the in shape comment too. If it works it works.

Comment

Working...
                              X