My Lessons Learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Lessons Learned

So you want to know what DC Training is all about? Be prepared to stare into the dark recesses of your heart and soul, and to trek across burning sands of pain. The training will push you farther than you thought you can go, further than you even thought possible. If you can come up with a game plan, stick to it and muster the willpower and intensity necessary for this training then the rewards can be bountiful. Your body will grow and become lean and strong. The caveat to this? You better know what the fuck you are doing or you will just be frustrated, sitting still spinning your tires in the mud.

The newbie always hears this. Whether it’s from the message boards or reading the stickies about DC Training on Intensemuscle.com. NO, you are not advanced enough for DC, you don’t have the time in the gym, etc. What does this really mean though? Why can’t I do DC Training? I can do whatever I want to can’t I? This is close to the mindset I had the first time I embarked on a DC journey.
    I was just past 30 years old and hadn’t seriously trained in about 8 years. I was horribly fat, horribly out of shape and weak, but I was motivated and that’s what counts isn’t it? And I had done my time in the gym, I had put on 20lbs of muscle or so, I had been lifting at least three years so why not? I should have factored into the equation that all my experience was a lifetime ago. I had the typical want it now attitude though and went at DC full steam. Kind of. I thought.

I read all the stickies on Intense Muscle. I read peoples journals. I read and reread almost every post Dante had written. Somehow I still convinced myself it applied to me. After about six weeks on my first blast, I was fried. Cooked. Totally outdone by myself. I had gotten stronger on all my lifts and gotten up to 260lbs. So I was doing well though right? I couldn’t have been more wrong. No doubt I had put on some muscle. But I had also put on A TON OF FAT. Why? Despite being so learned in the ways of DC I didn’t incorporate carb cutoffs, I didn’t do ANY off day cardio, and in a quest to eat all the protein I thought I had to eat I effectively went on a see food diet and ate everything in site.

What is my point in telling you or anyone this story? It probably doesn’t exactly apply to your situation right? The point is that there is a reason that Dante and all the DC vet’s recommend at least three years of training and also of being fairly strong already before starting DC. It’s not that they don’t like you or that they think you suck as a bodybuilder (even though you just might, right now), or that you are a horrible person or somehow unworthy of the system. It’s that they WANT you to succeed. Dante developed this system to allow someone to pack on as much muscle as possible in the shortest amount of time.

Without the prior time in the gym, however, most people can’t possibly understand the intensity required for a true rest pause set. I mean TRULY taking your body to failure for the three failure points. Holding the stretches for an excruciating 60 seconds. You see, in volume training, or most other training systems you have some wiggle room for error. If you are doing 16 sets for chest, and making any progression in weight moved at all you are going to get bigger and stronger. The amount of volume you are doing is going to elicit a response. When you get down to doing DC, or any other HIT system for that matter, and you only have that ONE SET you have to truly make it count. For your back thickness exercises you are getting two straight sets. That’s it. If you don’t know how to take those two sets to the limit you are wasting your time. Leg day? You get heavy set of squats let’s say, and then your widow maker. You better be able to dig deep and move some iron on that one work set. The widow maker? Anyone can load the bar with a little weight and pound out 20 reps. Are you breathing like a locomotive when you’re done and ready to fall down? That’s what the widow maker should be. An absolute all out, high rep, heavy weight set that separates the men from the boys.

So the point of this is not to discourage you from doing DC, but to truly take a look at yourself and analyze whether or not you are ready. If not, it’s no big deal! There are plenty of training protocols out there that can get you up to snuff. Put your time in in the gym and at the dinner table. When you are ready, DC Training will be there for you to push your physique to the next level. When you do get to the level necessary to do DC make sure you incorporate all the principles not just a couple. Please don’t develop some new hybrid form of DC, just do it as laid out. Or don’t.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 02-11-2012, 03:17 AM.
    Heavy squats fix everything.

Without the prior time in the gym, however, most people can’t possibly understand the intensity required for a true rest pause set.
    I agree with a lot of what you said, especially about how you don't have room for error. I would say that it isn't just that people don't have any idea about what intensity means, it is that their bodies don't. What I mean by that is that all this other training that we talk about people doing over this 3 years or so isn't just to "harden" them up. It's for them to hit some heavy lifting and to prime their nervous system. I don't know what the science would say about this, but unless you have pushed hard like that for some time, not only do you not know what the necessary intensity is that is required, your body won't. I only mention this because I want to emphasis with the younger guys (and I know this was your point) that we aren't saying you can't hang or you aren't worthy. It's that your bodies simply won't preform in the necessary fashion without the required "pre work".

Good post though and I'm glad your enjoying DC. Not for the faint of heart, especially those leg days.
    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

Great post.
      TRUE PROTEIN Discount Code- CSH730

Comment

Great Post, this also falls in line with Homonunculus's post regarding intensity or judging it.I tried DC training 6 years ago and thought I was hardcore enough. I'm just now realizing after these 6 years what intensity is.
        For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

Awesome post!

NABBA Miss World Italy 2013 - 3rd
          NABBA Miss Universe 2012 - 1st
          NABBA World Brazil 2011 - 5th
          NABBA Miss Britain Champion 2011-1st
          NABBA Universe 2010 Trained Figure- 5th
          NABBA UK 2010 Trained Figure-1st
          NABBA England 2010 Trained Figure-2nd

Comment

Originally posted by DCBliever View Post
            Great Post, this also falls in line with Homonunculus's post regarding intensity or judging it.I tried DC training 6 years ago and thought I was hardcore enough. I'm just now realizing after these 6 years what intensity is.
            ^^^^^THIS!

WORD @Duke!
            2005 - JABBFA Body Fitness (Figure) Championships - 4th
            2007 - JABBFA Body Fitness (Figure) Championships - 2nd
            2008 - INBF NYC Hercules - 1st Novice
            2009 - INBF Barbados Universe - Open - 2nd
            2010 - INBF Naturalmania NYC- Open - 1st Heavyweight
            2011 - INBF World Championships - Open - 3rd

Comment

Do you think your opinion would be different if you didn't go on see food diet and get fat?

Also, I think you are making lifting weights sound a lot more hardcore than it actually is with that first paragraph.

Comment

Originally posted by vkk View Post
                Also, I think you are making lifting weights sound a lot more hardcore than it actually is with that first paragraph.
                It may make lifting weights sound too hardcore, but it describes DC Training perfectly.
                TRUE PROTEIN Discount Code- CSH730

Comment

Just finished my first week of DC training this week and it's intense!
                  I've get trained seriously for the past 4 years and before that 6 years on and off and DC is a mental test as well as physical. I love the challenge and am looking forward to the journey.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
                  Team Skip Athlete

Comment

Excellent post.
                    My Log: Back to Basics

Comment

I couldn't agree more with you here. Each to their own though.
                      PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

Have to agree. As much as I obsess over it and it may even define me at times...if you think weightlifting ( even in the DC fashion ) makes you hardcore you have led a very cushy little life. I literally laughed out loud at my desk when I read this part:
                        So you want to know what DC Training is all about? Be prepared to stare into the dark recesses of your heart and soul, and to trek across burning sands of pain

Comment

OK first I want address this issue of lifting being hardcore. NO just plain old weight lifting for fitness is anything but hardcore. But if you want to advance and be a competitive bodybuilder it is pretty hardcore. LOL at saying led a cushy life because I think DC is hardcore. Not that I'm much different than many people on this site and that I know personally but I've had calluses on my hands since I was a little kid, had a job since I was 12, served a 5 year stint in the Marine Corps etc.

Fact is to me, if you don't find your lifting to be very hardcore you are doing it wrong.
                          Oh, and please forgive me for writing with a little flair. Tough crowd.

PS
                          This is fucking INTENSE MUSCLE, if being a bodybuilder isn't intense to you GTFO. You can hang out with the skinny noodles on BB.com or something.
                          Last edited by [email protected]; 02-24-2012, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Do you think your opinion would be different if you didn't go on see food diet and get fat?

No, I'm not sure my opinion would be much different even if my diet was in check. Mentally I just was not ready for the program, and while I could have gotten leaner my brain and body still would have been fried. I also needed some extra time back in the gym just to relearn how to generate the intensity needed for the program.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                              OK first I want address this issue of lifting being hardcore. NO just plain old weight lifting for fitness is anything but hardcore. But if you want to advance and be a competitive bodybuilder it is pretty hardcore.
                              Eh, this is from Shelby's blog on EliteFTS:
                              1/25/2012 9:34:35 AM - shelby
                              "Hardcore"
                              It cracks me up how tough people think they are because they train with weights and follow a strict diet.

"Hardcore", as they call it.

Hardcore is being a single mother and working 2 or 3 jobs to support your kids.
                              Hardcore is fighting a life-threating illness.
                              Hardcore is losing your legs in a war.

Bodybuilding is a luxury, not a badge of honor

Pretty sure from convos I've had with him Skip thinks along those lines, too.

I believe that thought process is what is being stated above.
                              PM me to discuss website/video/dvd etc. related work.

Comment

Working...
                              X