Picking dc exercises with injuries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking dc exercises with injuries

hoping to get some sugestions from dante or homon . I have three pins and two plates in my left knee from a military mishap . i cant squat or hack squat due to the pins pulling , but can leg press no problems . What would be a suggestion in picking 3 exercises to rotate . foot placements , or slower negatives etc ....

thanks guys

Bigshow, (Sorry, I chuckled typing that - great online handle... )

You may not be able to do DC training with your knee.

The solution is pretty simple: Choose the exercises you can safely do and do those. Without knowing the exact nature of your knee repair and what you mean by the "pins pulling" (and VERY probably not even then), I can't take a stab at what exercises you can or cannot do.

If you can't find exercises that you can progress on as you would doing DC training, then you haven't got much choice.

Sorry, but your question is a bit nebulous, but the answer is simple.

From what you're asking, though, I suspect you've not tried to do an intense, progressive overload based training program (like DC), for lower body at least, with your knee in it's current condition. I'm guessing this b/c if you had, I would think you'd have already figured out which exercises your knee can handle for heavy training...

-Scott
    The Book Has Arrived!
    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post

The solution is pretty simple: Choose the exercises you can safely do and do those. Without knowing the exact nature of your knee repair and what you mean by the "pins pulling" (and VERY probably not even then), I can't take a stab at what exercises you can or cannot do.

If you can't find exercises that you can progress on as you would doing DC training, then you haven't got much choice.

From what you're asking, though, I suspect you've not tried to do an intense, progressive overload based training program (like DC), for lower body at least, with your knee in it's current condition. I'm guessing this b/c if you had, I would think you'd have already figured out which exercises your knee can handle for heavy training...

-Scott
      Suppose he can only do leg presses, would there be benefits to changing up the foot placements? IE Wide stance, close stance, feet higher up, lower? If limited to leg presses perhaps rotating stance would maybe be the best bet.

Comment

Scott (Homon) nailed it for you.

But, if you are deadset on giving DC a go with your knee in it's current state (I can be stubborn sometimes too ) than I would suggest just finding 2 other movements that do not irritate it, but allow for progression....simple as that.

You could even do something like one day leg press, next day leg press but with zero lockout the whole way through.

Sisssy squats maybe? How about Barbell Hack squats from the floor? Belt squats?

You gotta just play around with moves that allow for progression. Simple as that.

But I'd listen to Dr. Stevenson up there^^ lol

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
        -1st SuperHeavy Gi
        2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
        -1st Heavyweight Gi
        2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
        2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

Originally posted by homonunculus View Post

-Scott
          Absolutely....I started last year with a blast that was taking shape into a good one, then I injured my groin, which lingered for almost 8 months or so (I kept re-aggravating it). I knew I wouldn't be able to do much of anything for legs, so I just switched to some volume training and changed my split just to get in the gym a few days a week. I seem to work better with lower volume, but I ran a higher volume of training thru MOST of the year (high by my standards, prob not others) until my groin was ready to be tested a bit. Thoughout the year it seemed like every time the groin felt good, I would reinjure it and it would set me back again. I am training DC now, but I STILL have been taking things VERY slow with my legs (they are weaker now anyway since they are somewhat de-trained) and keeping reps high.....in the past couple weeks I have hit legs twice (I was very sick for about 10 days) and I just did one set of over 20 reps, very deep, slow, and controlled. I just want to slowly up the weight this time so as not to reinjure yet again....I know this is a tweak to the program but I am implementing a heavier set this week (today actually) and see how the groin reacts to it. Hopefully it will be good....
          STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Originally posted by steel1970 View Post
            Absolutely....I started last year with a blast that was taking shape into a good one, then I injured my groin, which lingered for almost 8 months or so (I kept re-aggravating it). I knew I wouldn't be able to do much of anything for legs, so I just switched to some volume training
            Same here :-( I'm ready to give up and go BW leg exercises to finally get over this groin strain.
            ...playing Bingo at the Senior Center :shocked:

Comment

I've been SLOWLY pushing mine a bit just to ensure I don't injure it again....so far so good, but it's gonna be awhile before info any heavy, low rep sets.
              STEEL

"SIMPLICITY, CONSISTENCY, INTENSITY"

Comment

Working...
              X