Some people are just losing the concept of DC training.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jameswarren1984
    Lightweight Member
    • Feb 2012

mass is the motive!!!
    Please follow my journal... http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=46381
    LIFT HARD OR GO HOME
    TARGET LIFTS....
    320 kg deadlift/160 kg bench press/280 kg squat
    yeahHHHHH BUDDYY!! LIGHT WEIGHT YEP YEP YEP!!
    AINT NUTTIN BUT A PEANUT brrrrrrrrrr

Comment

• Doggcrapp
      Super Moderator/Roundtable Expert
      • Feb 2004

March Flex Magazine (on newstands now)
      Congrats to Dusty (hardest working bodybuilder in the sport)
      Attached Files
      IG is

@dante_trudel

Comment

• Sgordy243
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Doggcrapp
        March Flex Magazine (on newstands now)
        Congrats to Dusty (hardest working bodybuilder in the sport)
        Hell yea im gonna pick it up today. Dante I just want to say thank you for sharing your knowledge with every one when you could easily charge top dollar. Your an inspiration to everyone who wants to put on quality mass

Comment

• TLopez
          Intense Muscle Competitive Powerlifter 1260 total in the 165 class / ISOM Old School Winner December 2013
          • Sep 2010

It must be difficult for the nurse to find a vein when Dusty has to get blood drawn. HAHA! Looking good!
          2014 USPA Nevada State / Regional Championships - 1,168 total

2014 USPA National Championships - 1,235 total

2014 Village Gym Meet - 1,260 total

2015 USPA Camp Pendleton Meet - 1,235 total

Journal: http://intensemuscle.com/showthread....80#post1112980

Comment

• METAL2804
            Banned
            • May 2009

reddragonsupplement com/build-muscle-high-training-intensity

Scroll sown until you see a book being advertised called - Muscle Guru Interviews

DC training is one of five behind the door interviews being advertised

I couldn't bring myself to by a supplement that presents 2 easy steps to standing in the sea with a sun tan to find out if its more DC stolen literature.

A handful of capsules followed by high intensity concentration curls are all that are required.....

Comment

• høggern
              • Jul 2005

not to hijack the tread, but what is recomended for someone with a very poor recovery ability? the 2split with more rest days maybe? or perhaps taking away some musclegroups like forearms, biceps, triceps and hams as they get hit pretty good by presses, rows and deadlift..?

my nutrition is good, i train cardio on my off days, i've got a beltless deadlift 3,2 times my bodyweight and 2,6 times my bodyweight on squats, so i think i know my body pretty well by now, and i dont feel i recover properly. any ideas?

used to train dc before, but been competing in strongman and powerlifting a couple of years now so took a little break from it, but now im ready for more! i train for four weeks, the cruise for two by the way...

thank you

Comment

• NANO-FIBER
                Banned
                • Apr 2012

Originally posted by høggern
                not to hijack the tread, but what is recomended for someone with a very poor recovery ability? the 2split with more rest days maybe? or perhaps taking away some musclegroups like forearms, biceps, triceps and hams as they get hit pretty good by presses, rows and deadlift..?

my nutrition is good, i train cardio on my off days, i've got a beltless deadlift 3,2 times my bodyweight and 2,6 times my bodyweight on squats, so i think i know my body pretty well by now, and i dont feel i recover properly. any ideas?

used to train dc before, but been competing in strongman and powerlifting a couple of years now so took a little break from it, but now im ready for more! i train for four weeks, the cruise for two by the way...

thank you

is your cardio at mid-low intensity or do you actually go jogging?

as a powerlifter you are very strong at deadlifts and squats.
                if i where in your position, i would do bent-over barbell rows and other stuff for back-thickness,
                trying to avoid too long recovery times, which inevitably appear after serious deadlifts.
                or you could just make sure that you dont do dead-lifts and squats without 5-7 off-days in between,
                or replace deadlifts with rack-pulls every second workout that you'd usually DL, to avoid too long phases of fatique.
                if you try this first, you can most likely avoid to add another off-day.

otherwise, i would think that taking 2 days off in between every training would help.
                that leads to an odd schedule every new week, but shouldnt matter, if your training has priority.

what i said about your situation is based on logic thoughts rather than experience,
                so please take it with a grain of salt.

i have to admit that i am actually bastardizing dantes split,
                but not the amount and execution of the exercises,
                (A= shoulder, back-thickness, legs +calves / B= back-width, chest, triceps, biceps / 2'split 3 days a week)
                and i gained 8 pounds in 6 weeks after plateu'ing for several years before. it literally feels huge.

...THANKY YOU, MR. TRUDEL.
                the first and last time i've ever read such an intelligent, eloquent and experienced master of this field
                up to this very day. although very motivational to get through some of your posts.
                Last edited by NANO-FIBER; 04-19-2012, 09:51 PM.

Comment

• BabyBeast05
                  • Oct 2009

DC, for advanced guys like national level guys who use the 3 way split, how many exercises should they do per body part? Just 1 with maybe a widow maker? Last time I trained DC style I did pretty much exactly how David Henry trained in his first DVD, granted I am no where near his size yet but I have been training for 10 years and have gained 50lbs of muscle in that time frame, which I think is pretty good for being 5'5 and only 24 years old. I'd like to give DC training another shot this offseason to try an make an impact in the LHW class next year but I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of what I'm doing. I wish you still had time to take on clients!

Comment

• homonunculus
                    Super Moderator/Round Table Expert
                    Admin
                    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by BabyBeast05
                    DC, for advanced guys like national level guys who use the 3 way split, how many exercises should they do per body part? Just 1 with maybe a widow maker? Last time I trained DC style I did pretty much exactly how David Henry trained in his first DVD, granted I am no where near his size yet but I have been training for 10 years and have gained 50lbs of muscle in that time frame, which I think is pretty good for being 5'5 and only 24 years old. I'd like to give DC training another shot this offseason to try an make an impact in the LHW class next year but I want to make sure I'm getting the most out of what I'm doing. I wish you still had time to take on clients!
                    Hey Bud,

(I'll answer for Dante, given I'm not sure he'll see this, he sends me his DC clients and I think I was Dave's training partner in the the vid. you're referring to. )

Dave's vid's are really not the best template to use for DC Training. Frankly, I can't remember what we did for those vid's, to be honest. (You can create a good program using them of course, but that's just what was needed for Dave at the time...)

Usually, a good starting place for a 3-way would be to do WM's for maybe 3 body parts. (You can't answer your question simply with # of exercises b/c it will differ depending on the muscle group.)

This might be WM's for back width, chest and hamstrings (one on each training day). Generally, I'd try to find a way to target other weak muscle groups with choices of exercises beyond (and possibly in addition to) that if at all possible, like what's done with the 2 way (e.g., more pressing movements for triceps that all add extra stimulus to bring up the chest).

Dante's got a post somewhere he were he talks about getting funky and creative with exercises. So if someone's not bringing the biceps up with BB and DB Curls after 10 years and getting strong as hell, then going with a something novel that isolates and/or puts a stretch on the biceps might work, e.g., a seated cable curl on an incline bench with a low cable pulling from behind like you could set up with a Free motion cable cross-over...

-Scott
                    The Book Has Arrived!
                    The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

2012 NPC Master's Nationals HW 5th. Mid-USA HW & Overall
                    2010 NPC Jr. USA HW 4th, Pacific USA Heavy 2nd
                    2009 NPC Mr. Arizona HW & Overall, Jr. Nationals HW 16th, Smoked at USA's

Comment

• BabyBeast05
                      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by homonunculus
                      Hey Bud,

(I'll answer for Dante, given I'm not sure he'll see this, he sends me his DC clients and I think I was Dave's training partner in the the vid. you're referring to. )

Dave's vid's are really not the best template to use for DC Training. Frankly, I can't remember what we did for those vid's, to be honest. (You can create a good program using them of course, but that's just what was needed for Dave at the time...)

Usually, a good starting place for a 3-way would be to do WM's for maybe 3 body parts. (You can't answer your question simply with # of exercises b/c it will differ depending on the muscle group.)

This might be WM's for back width, chest and hamstrings (one on each training day). Generally, I'd try to find a way to target other weak muscle groups with choices of exercises beyond (and possibly in addition to) that if at all possible, like what's done with the 2 way (e.g., more pressing movements for triceps that all add extra stimulus to bring up the chest).

Dante's got a post somewhere he were he talks about getting funky and creative with exercises. So if someone's not bringing the biceps up with BB and DB Curls after 10 years and getting strong as hell, then going with a something novel that isolates and/or puts a stretch on the biceps might work, e.g., a seated cable curl on an incline bench with a low cable pulling from behind like you could set up with a Free motion cable cross-over...

-Scott
                      So you think WM's for every body part is too much and would actually impede maximum growth?

Comment

• homonunculus
                        Admin
                        • Feb 2004

So you think WM's for every body part is too much and would actually impede maximum growth?
                        It very well could be for some people. I would venture to say most people, really going balls to the wall, would overtrain if they tried that.

-S
                        The Book Has Arrived!
                        The Book Has Arrived!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a pristine, well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, used up, worn out, and shouting, "Holy #$&^%$^... What a ride!!!"

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

• BabyBeast05
                          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by homonunculus
                          It very well could be for some people. I would venture to say most people, really going balls to the wall, would overtrain if they tried that.

-S
                          So many something like this would be a good starting point?

Day 1: Biceps/Forearms/Back
                          Biceps: standing DB curls for 20-30RP
                          Forearms: rope cable curls for 12-20SS
                          STRETCH
                          Back Width: wide grip cable pulldown for 12-20RP
                          Back Width WM: Rack Chins for 20-30
                          Back Thickness: BB rows for 10-13 then another set for 7-9
                          STRETCH

Day 2: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
                          Chest: BB incline bench for 11-20RP
                          Chest WM: machine fly/press for 20-30
                          STRETCH
                          Shoulders: hammer strength press for 12-20RP
                          STRETCH
                          Triceps: decline skull crushers for 15-25RP
                          Triceps WM: dip machine with deep stretch for 20-30
                          STRETCH

Day 3: Calves/Hams/Quads
                          Calves: standing calf for 15-20RP with 2 sec stretch
                          STRETCH
                          Adductor machine: 15-30RP
                          Hams: Lying leg curls for 15-24RP
                          STRETCH
                          Quads: Hack squats for 16-20 then another set for 10-15
                          Quads WM: Leg Press for 20-30 hard deep reps
                          STRETCH

Day 4: Biceps/Forearms/Back
                          Biceps: DB hammer curls for 20-30RP
                          STRETCH
                          Back Width: 1 arm hammer strength row for 15-20RP
                          Back Width WM: Rack chins for 20-30
                          Back thickness: deadlifts for 10-13 then another set for 7-9
                          STRETCH

Day 5: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
                          Chest: BB flat bench for 15-30RP
                          STRETCH
                          Shoulders: smith military press for 15-20RP
                          STRETCH
                          Triceps: overhead tricep extensions for 15-25RP
                          Triceps widowmaker: dip machine with deep stretch for 20-30
                          STRETCH

Day 6: Calves/Hams/Quads
                          Calves: leg press calf raise for 15-20RP with a 5sec stretch
                          STRETCH
                          Hams: seated leg curls for 15-24RP
                          STRETCH
                          Quads: Squats for 16-20 then another set for 10-15
                          Quads Widowmaker: Leg press for 20-30 hard deep reps
                          STRETCH

Day 7: Biceps/Forearms/Back
                          Biceps: EZ bar curls for 15-24RP
                          Forearms: rope cable curls for 20-30
                          STRETCH
                          Back Width: Yates hammer strength pulldown for 15-20RP
                          Back Thickness: t-bar rows for 10-13 then another set for 7-9
                          STRETCH

Day 8: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
                          Chest: hammer strength press for 15-30RP
                          STRETCH
                          Shoulders: machine military press for 12-20RP
                          STRETCH
                          Triceps: CGBP for 15-25RP
                          STRETCH

Day 9: Calves/Hams/Quads
                          Calves: cybex rotary calf press for 15-20RP with 5 second stretch
                          STRETCH
                          Hams: standing leg curls for 15-24RP
                          STRETCH
                          Quads: front squat machine for 16-20 then another set for 10-15
                          Quads WM: leg press for 20-30 hard deep reps
                          STRETCH

WMs for the areas I feel need to really improve. I need more size everywhere of course but especially chest, triceps, quads & back width

Comment

• homonunculus
                            Admin
                            • Feb 2004

Hey Bud,

As far as *widowmakers only*, I see three (beyond the quad WM) in your first rotation of pull, push legs, so yes that is a good starting point.

-S

So many something like this would be a good starting point?

Day 1: Biceps/Forearms/Back
                            Biceps: standing DB curls for 20-30RP
                            STRETCH
                            Back Width: wide grip cable pulldown for 12-20RP
                            Back Width WM: Rack Chins for 20-30
                            Back Thickness: BB rows for 10-13 then another set for 7-9
                            STRETCH

Day 2: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
                            Chest: BB incline bench for 11-20RP
                            STRETCH
                            Shoulders: hammer strength press for 12-20RP
                            STRETCH
                            Triceps: decline skull crushers for 15-25RP
                            STRETCH

Day 3: Calves/Hams/Quads
                            Calves: standing calf for 15-20RP with 2 sec stretch
                            STRETCH
                            Hams: Lying leg curls for 15-24RP
                            STRETCH
                            Quads: Hack squats for 16-20 then another set for 10-15
                            Quads WM: Leg Press for 20-30 hard deep reps
                            STRETCH

Day 4: Biceps/Forearms/Back
                            Biceps: DB hammer curls for 20-30RP
                            STRETCH
                            Back Width: 1 arm hammer strength row for 15-20RP
                            Back thickness: deadlifts for 10-13 then another set for 7-9
                            STRETCH

Day 5: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
                            Chest: BB flat bench for 15-30RP
                            STRETCH
                            Shoulders: smith military press for 15-20RP
                            STRETCH
                            Triceps: overhead tricep extensions for 15-25RP
                            Triceps widowmaker: dip machine with deep stretch for 20-30
                            STRETCH

Day 6: Calves/Hams/Quads
                            Calves: leg press calf raise for 15-20RP with a 5sec stretch
                            STRETCH
                            Hams: seated leg curls for 15-24RP
                            STRETCH
                            Quads: Squats for 16-20 then another set for 10-15
                            Quads Widowmaker: Leg press for 20-30 hard deep reps
                            STRETCH

Day 7: Biceps/Forearms/Back
                            Biceps: EZ bar curls for 15-24RP
                            Forearms: rope cable curls for 20-30
                            STRETCH
                            Back Width: Yates hammer strength pulldown for 15-20RP
                            Back Thickness: t-bar rows for 10-13 then another set for 7-9
                            STRETCH

Day 8: Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
                            Chest: hammer strength press for 15-30RP
                            STRETCH
                            Shoulders: machine military press for 12-20RP
                            STRETCH
                            Triceps: CGBP for 15-25RP
                            STRETCH

Day 9: Calves/Hams/Quads
                            Calves: cybex rotary calf press for 15-20RP with 5 second stretch
                            STRETCH
                            Hams: standing leg curls for 15-24RP
                            STRETCH
                            Quads: front squat machine for 16-20 then another set for 10-15
                            Quads WM: leg press for 20-30 hard deep reps
                            STRETCH

WMs for the areas I feel need to really improve. I need more size everywhere of course but especially chest, triceps, quads & back width
                            Last edited by homonunculus; 05-22-2012, 01:50 PM.
                            The Book Has Arrived!
                            The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

• WorldStrike
                              • May 2010

Homonunculus - do you feel WMs performed before the end of the workout could have a negative impact on your remaining sets? I just noticed that in the workout detailed above, he has Back Width WMs occurring before his back thickness exercise, which to me would certainly limit the weight I could lift on my last movement. Same with doing a chest widowmaker and then working my shoulders, since a lot of time the movements between the two can wear one another out, even if they aren't being directly targeted. On top of that, with the sort of taxing effect your CNS takes from a widowmaker, it just seems brutal to continue on to another exercise after executing one.

I suppose what I mean is, would you prefer widowmakers all be done at the end of a workout, or, if you plan to do more than one within a workout, they be placed directly after the exercise for that respective muscle group?

Thanks.

Comment

• homonunculus
                                Admin
                                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by WorldStrike
                                Homonunculus - do you feel WMs performed before the end of the workout could have a negative impact on your remaining sets? I just noticed that in the workout detailed above, he has Back Width WMs occurring before his back thickness exercise, which to me would certainly limit the weight I could lift on my last movement. Same with doing a chest widowmaker and then working my shoulders, since a lot of time the movements between the two can wear one another out, even if they aren't being directly targeted. On top of that, with the sort of taxing effect your CNS takes from a widowmaker, it just seems brutal to continue on to another exercise after executing one.

I suppose what I mean is, would you prefer widowmakers all be done at the end of a workout, or, if you plan to do more than one within a workout, they be placed directly after the exercise for that respective muscle group?

Thanks.
                                Hey WS,

I'm in "Blunt Mode" here - it seems like the best way to answer this for ya. (Nothing personal meant, my man.)

In your case, I'd stick with the 2-way, still, unless you've make stupendous gains in the past year or so: http://www.intensemuscle.com/showpos...1&postcount=19

Yes, it is brutal - most definitely. That's the point. The idea is to make a DC workout as brutal on the targeted muscle group(s) as you possibly can. Get in, kill it and get out. (This is kind of obvious, I know, but I'm goin' somewhere here... Again, don't think I'm trying to pick on you here. I really think, at least from what I know, that the 2-way would be best. I consider these big, highly viewed threads as a way to get across a message to all those that are reading, not just whoever may have asked a particular question.)

I suspected by the way you phrased the above that your mindset wasn't quite where I personally would like to see it for someone who would be doing a 3-way. This is why I looked through your posts to find your pics. Had you said, "Do you think it's best to target those weak muscle groups by nailing them right after the regular SS or RP sets or give them a bit of rest so you can handle more weight for the WM?" then I'd have gone right to answering your question. I'd like to see you thinking: Damn, I can kill it by hitting it when it's down or hitting it with a tad more weight - I'm down for whatever works best, rather than, "Wow, that's gonna be brutal if I do it this way...."

With these bodypart WM's they're not quite as taxing as a quad WM (e.g., done with a squat) and I (and as far as I know Dante agrees) prefer to hit them right after the regular training for a given muscle group. The WM is about using a lighter weight and pounding away at the muscle, pushing it into a novel state of extreme metabolic fatigue, so doing them when the muscle is fatigued is just dandy.

As far as doing a width WM before thickness exercises, I'd have to evaluate the person's physique and other aspects of how they train and their physical condition. E.g., if they were lacking in thickness, too, could use the low back thickening of doing rack deads and heavy BO rows, and doing a width WM limited the weight used for those exercises, I'd prob. put the width WM after the thickness exercises. This would be especially true for someone say, who was advanced by just was weak in the posterior chain in general.

But you do have a point r.e. the CNS wrt back. If they're using chins for a width WM and finding that, after rack deads, they're whacked and the chins are not a good targeting exercise for that reason, I might have them do something that's more isolating, like a cross-cable pulldown.

So, generally, hit the bodypart WM after training the body part (IMO), not at the end of the workout. If, for example, a delt WM is leaving someone too wiped out to finish triceps and do a tri WM, then I'd wonder about motivation and/or training experience.

-S
                                The Book Has Arrived!
                                The Book Has Arrived!

www.TrueNutrition.com

Comment

Working...