thought process before lifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thought process before lifting

dont know if its been discussed before but i just wanted to mention a different mindset of approaching beating the log book. everyone including myself usually has the mindset of gotta smash the book which i agree is great but i started to find somedays i would almost get antsy about having to beat it and of course the next thing to come from it is bad form just to beat the book. what i started to notice is traning when after a bad night of sleep or being sick and just not expecting to beat the log book i usually find myself more focussed and beat the previous week while having way better form. so
    i starting approaching some of my lifts as such: nice and controlled, stay calm and keep strict form and if i cant beat the book then i get to try something new. now im not trying to fail just to change, cause its usually my favourite movements which i dont want to loose get me antsy.
    its almost like the sportsteam who is eliminated from the playoffs is now loose with no pressure and becomes unbeatable. i know its def not for eveyone but on certain lifts or specific bodyparts i find it helps greatly. just
    my 2 cents

I hear that brotha. Too much 'nerves' seem to make me lose focus as well.

Depends on the exercise though. A lot of free weight exercises I need to stay calm or else body english take over and form loosens; deads, db presses, squats, etc.

However when I'm locked into a machine like hacks or hammer strength presses being antsy is fine and sometimes warranted.
    Max Muscle
    5020 Katella Ave.
    Los Alamitos, CA 90720
    www.MaxMuscleLosAlamitos.com

Comment

"No mind."
      Ph.D., Theoretical Physics '16
      kind of a douche

Comment

To empty the mind?
        '17 USAPL Chicago Raw
        17 AAU Super Total
        '16-AAU Hi
        '15-USPA Metro
        '15-USPA State
        '15-AAU HI
        '14-AAU HI
        '14-USPA Metro
        '14-WABDL Sonny's
        '14-USPA State
        '14-HI Strongman
        '13-USPA
        '13-WABDL Sonny's
        '13-USPA State
        '13-AAU HI
        '11-USPA Metro
        '10-NPC Stingrey
        '09-NPC Islands
        '09-NPC Stingrey
        '09-ABA Islands
        '02-ABA Islands
        '02-ABA IronWorks
        '01-NPC Paradise Cup
        '01-ABA Olympia
        '01-ABA Islands
        '00-NPC Nat.Tri-State
        '00-INBF Musclefest
        '98-NGA Ill
        '98-INBF Ohio

Comment

What TheRoyMcCoy wrote about keeping calm before big lifts is something I like to do too, especially before squats. I also remind myself of how far I went when I last performed a move, and thinking that the number of reps is likely to be at least as it was then helps me keep calm and go for it.

Comment

When i think about lifting i imagine myself being super intense but when i actually do it I'm as calm as an eagle.

Here is the weight and here is my body lifting it and there is nothing in-between.

Not sure why.
            Last edited by Fleshpuke; 12-07-2011, 07:15 PM.

"I looked at things with a microscope when a sledgehammer would have done" -- Dante

Comment

I have only one objective when I do a set and that is to do the best I can at that moment. For probably 90-95% of my work out I could not even tell you how many reps I did. I understand the concept for a log book and I do believe it helps 90+% of the people who use one but its just no relevant to me really. If I perform to the best of my ability in the set at hand...I am happy. When I do a set at the end I know if I need to keep the wt there or up the wt next workout.
              Just my view.
              Follow my NEW journal if you please:

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=48304

"They say I'm no good...cause I'm so hood, rich folks do not want me around" 50

"You are you. That is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."
              Dr. Seuss

I would like to thank all the stupid people of the world. Without you guys I would only be average.

"Tell them bitches get a stick I'm done leading the blind"
              Nicki Minaj

Comment

i tried the "get psyched up" thing and it wasn't for me.. i just look at the weight for a minute or two and go... no scream, no yell, just a slight grunt when the weights get heavy.... although i know kids who must absolutely get psyched up for a lift
                my little journal

http://www.intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=44981

Comment

To each their own, recently when it comes to the gym I've adopted Lose my F'n mind I'm picking that heavy sh*t up like it's a warm up. Sometimes you just have to let go and get it done/ I stopped planning, stopped thinking and just started doing, no screaming, just focus and determination.
                  For Training Inquiries go see the HNIC [email protected] anything else is uncivilized

Comment

I write my weights out in my book in advance and don't even look back at my previous workouts until I'm done. It's all about going to failure and that's all I can do. I want to beat that damn log book and if I'm intense and going for it, I'm going to. So much of this is a mental game when it comes down to it.

Comment

"Controlled Chaos".

Skip

Facebook: Skip Hill
                      Instagram: @intensemuscle
                      YouTube: TEAMSKIP
                      TikTok: @intensemuscle

For Training Inquiries: [email protected]

Use discount code "SKIP" and get your TEAM SKIP protein here: www.TrueNutrition.com/TEAMSKIPblend

Comment

I like taking the calm, controlled but focused approach. Psyching up doesn't really work for me due to losing form etc. That's when I injure myself and I would like to avoid those!
                        My Log: Back to Basics

Comment

I try to shut anything and anyone around me and focus on the weight and movement I'm about to do...minuium reps and what I may shoot for should I make it to the goal rep....
                          Joe

Contest History:
                          2017 Muscle Heat - 2nd Place Masters 40+ HWT & 3rd Place LHW
                          2017 Gold's Classic - 3rd Place Masters 40+ HWT & 4th Place LHW
                          2016 GK Classic - 1st Place MW & 4th Place Masters 40+
                          2016 Charlotte Europa - 3rd Place MW & 1st Place Masters 35+
                          2015 Mid-Atlantic Classic - 4th Place LHW & 4th Place Masters 40+ HWY
                          2014 Muscle Heat Classic - 4th Place LHW & 4th Place Masters 35+ HWY

Comment

I like to go batshit psyched up crazy like the Joker fresh out of Arkam Asylum on some lifts, deads, shoulder presses and heavy rows.

All the other I prefer to keep a clear mind and just focus on what I'm doing. Especially if it's a lift I suck at.
                            "If you're ready to do DC, you're not gonna give a flying f*(k about fatigue from the previous exercise. You get under the bar and kill it, each and every time." - homonunculus

"Nothing better than coming to IM and seeing a Wall of Text next to that big Tricep pic." - Lonnie123

“Hateful to me as the gates of Hades is that man who hides one thing in his heart and speaks another.” - Homer

The scale doesn't show a number. When he steps on it, it simply reads: Big Mother Fucker. - Skip

Comment

KILL

thats what I think about before every lift.

I close my eyes before I attempt and think about how I am going to crush the weight and reps. I also feel like everything around the power rack and other people in the gym disappear before I begin my descent into hell.

:mmph:

Comment

Working...
                              X