Some successful and failed experiments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some successful and failed experiments

Here are some modifications, exercises that I have tried successfully and unsuccessfully:

1) Changed the split to
    chest/triceps/shoulders/hams/calves/abs
    back thickness/back width/biceps/forearms/quads

The underlying thought was that when working quads and hams together I would be spent after brutally destroying quads and would not have enough energy/will power to properly stimulate hams. This was underscored by the fact that my hams were a lagging bodypart. I thought that if I separate quads and hams in different workouts I would be better off. It failed miserably since often my hams would be “tired” after a quad workout and my quads would be “tired” after my ham workout.
    Actually, after going through many split workouts in my head, I am pretty confident that the original split is the best for half body workouts. FAILED
    2) Dropped the rep ranges to 10-12rp for most exercises. FAILED
    Since then I have adopted higher rep ranges for most muscle groups.
    3) Added eccentric dB preacher curls
    I added these in an attempt to improve my biceps. I would do only 8s-10s (I really mean 10s) negatives with heavier weight than I would normally do dB preacher curls with a normal tempo (about 4s negative for me.) Typically, the reps would be in the 20-25 range. I would say that this worked great as my arms are visibly bigger/fuller. WORKED
    4) Added hamstring extensions
    Without doubt I would say that this is the best ham exercise next to stiff leg deads. I would try to stay in the 15-30rp rep range. Nevertheless, it is a pretty tricky exercise to do. I always turned to leg curls (seated, lying, one-legged) for ham development mostly because of ease of operation and because that was one of the rare machines (seated) where I was able to slap another plate or two on the stack (by using a pin) and go at it. But the results were minimal. Then I started doing ham extensions and my hamstrings started growing. WORKED

hmm....
    im not hardcore, im not cool, pretending any different would be acting the fool--- ill leave that to those who are good at it

Training for the Proffesional Natural Olympia fall 2006

RESPECT ALL, ADMIRE FEW, IDOLIZE NONE

SQUAT TILL YER EYES BLEED!!!! IM GOIN PLATNUM STRAIT TO THE TOP NEVER STOP UNLESS I DROP.

Comment

what is a hamstring extension. Don't mean to sound stupid just don't know
      :showoff: Pain is weakness leaving the body – and strength training is the antidote. :showoff:

5% off trueprotein.com order when U use the discount code erl633

Comment

thats for sharing nikko.. anyone else experiment with things?
        www.trueprotein.com

www.proactivehealthnet.com/healthBB/

"Those who do not beleive in the impossible, should not distract those who are already doing it"

"if we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Note: i'm not an expert, but i'm probably right.

"Furthermore, the urge to overindulge is almost absent when drinking urine." - the skeptic's dictionary about urine therapy.

Comment

err...thanks i mean
          www.trueprotein.com

www.proactivehealthnet.com/healthBB/

"Those who do not beleive in the impossible, should not distract those who are already doing it"

"if we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Note: i'm not an expert, but i'm probably right.

"Furthermore, the urge to overindulge is almost absent when drinking urine." - the skeptic's dictionary about urine therapy.

Comment

Hamstring extension is similar to back extension done on the level back extension piece of equipment.

1) Assume position as if you are about to do a back extension.
            2) Move backward or forward so that you can bend your knees between torso support pad and foot pad. In other words, make sure that your quads are not proned against the torso padding.
            3) Descend as you would normally would (like doing back extensions) but on ascend bend your knees a little and pull with your hamstrings exclusivelly.

It is a little tricky to get at first. I would recommend doing them with no weight until you can feel the hamstring working. You will feel a pain/sensation similar to that of a deadlift. It is definatelly different than leg curls of any kind. Then add weight but not plates. I use dBs or BBs. I do these in 15-30rp.
            Now, these are hard. I can do more 315lb stiff deads then 70lb ham extensions.

Also, if anybody else wants to share some of their experiences with some non-mainstream exercises, please, do so.

Comment

Working...
            X