Taking dc principles to another program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking dc principles to another program

I´ve been trying to do DC for months now, and the same problem just keeps hanging around all the time: the training just doesn´t feel hard, it doesn´t get me sore. The only thing that I don´t do are the widowmakers for legs cause I just don´t have the balls, I´m a pussy. A couple of days ago I switched the training completely, I did just 5x5 bench and 5x5 pulldowns for upper body, and my chest, back, shoulders, arms, abs, everything got super sore, and it really felt like it worked sooo much better than RP sets etc.

If I can be progressive, and train more than once a week, using some other training than what dante says, and on top of that it gets my muscles 10 times better beaten, then why not do that other training? Is there something more to the dc style than fast recovery and clear progression?

You may not be ready for DC. That isn't a put down. There is just a level of intensity that is necessary for DC training that can be difficult to achieve if you haven't progressed in your training enough. What is your training history? Another thing that makes me think this may be the case is that you threw out the widowmakers. Those are a basic part of the routine.

To answer your question though, if you can be more progressive with another routine then of course you should switch. You may want to switch to DC, but with 2-3 straight sets to failure. Several people on the site have tried that with good results. It sounds like you may have started this on your own anyhow. Just don't confuse "beating" a muscle with smart, progressive, and consistent training. That is key.
    1994 Ohio Gran Prix 4th place
    2010 Kentucky State Championships 1st place
    2011 Northern Kentucky 4th place
    2012 Kentucky Grand Prix 1st place
    2014 Francois Classic 3rd place
    2015 Francois Classic 2nd Place

Truenutrition.com
    Use Discount Code AMJ

Comment

My history is just maybe 2 years total training, scattered around my teen years, plus half a year of DC now. I´m 18 yrs old. So I can imagine that I´m not strong enough yet. That idea of doing 2-3 sets to failure sounds really good, thanks.

Comment

I seriously hope you don't base a routine's effectiveness on how sore you feel the next day.
        Disclaimer: I am not a DC trainee/expert/guru/coach, anything I say is purely my opinion based on experience and research I've read

Comment

Originally posted by SmallBall View Post
          My history is just maybe 2 years total training, scattered around my teen years, plus half a year of DC now. I´m 18 yrs old. So I can imagine that I´m not strong enough yet. That idea of doing 2-3 sets to failure sounds really good, thanks.
          I think you should read this:

http://intensemuscle.com/showthread.php?t=32599

Doberman's suggestion is very good. I am doing something similar.
          My Training Journal

Comment

Yes, DC isn't for you. This isn't a knock on you, it's simply the truth. Go read all the stickies and then you'll realize it isn't meant for the beginner...which you are. Go hop on a 5x5 and milk it for all it's worth.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
            -1st SuperHeavy Gi
            2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
            -1st Heavyweight Gi
            2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
            2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

Let me clarify this to myself again: what is the basic reason that beginners are told NOT to do DC?

To carlito: the net is full of papers that say delayed onset muscle soreness is caused by the same microtears that make muscles grow. And I´ve seen this myself: the exact places that go sore, grow. I can´t see why I shouldn´t follow the soreness. Can you?

Comment

Let me clarify this to myself again: what is the basic reason that beginners are told NOT to do DC?

To carlito: the net is full of papers that say delayed onset muscle soreness is caused by the same microtears that make muscles grow. And I´ve seen this myself: the exact places that go sore, grow. I can´t see why I shouldn´t follow the soreness. Can you?
                Look, the VERY fact that you cannot get sore from the DC protocol is EXACTLY why you shouldn't be doing it man. You just don't know what you don't know. Explaining to you why you shouldn't do it is akin to explaining colors to a blind guy.
                You come to a forum like this for advice. Take this advice...Do the 5x5 for a few years.
                2008 WABDL World Bench Press Champioships, 2nd place 275lb submaster division state record bench press
                2001 WABDL World Record Breaker Bench Press Championships 1st place 275lb class
                2000 USPF Regional Championships 1st place 275lb division
                1999 USPF NorthWest Reigional Championships 1st place, 275lb division
                1998 USAPL State Championships 1st place 275lb division
                1997 AAU State Championships 1st place 275lb division
                1997 USPF State Championships 1st place 275lb division
                + more

Comment

That´s what I´m going to do

Comment

Go do pushups to failure. Take 1 minute rests between sets. Do this for 10 sets.

I guarantee you DOMS...but you aren't going to be building a bigger chest by doing this. It's quite easy to cause DOMS on yourself if you want to.

But DOMS does not directly equate to growth.

2012 EUP's Mission Submission II
                    -1st SuperHeavy Gi
                    2012 Hayastan Grappling Challenge New York
                    -1st Heavyweight Gi
                    2011 Slippery Rock Open Collegiate Championships, 4th-Open Heavyweight, 220lbs
                    2008 NGA Pittsburgh Bodybuilding Championships, 2nd-Open Juniors, 175lbs

Help me, help you! To get a great discount from TrueNutrition just type in MCS722 in the code box when you check out!

New pursuit: competitive grappling, and enjoying my life

Comment

If I can be progressive, and train more than once a week, using some other training than what dante says, and on top of that it gets my muscles 10 times better beaten, then why not do that other training? Is there something more to the dc style than fast recovery and clear progression?
                      Progression is what will make any program effective. Whether it's DC or not, just make sure you're moving more weight.

Comment

I´ve been trying to do DC for months now, and the same problem just keeps hanging around all the time: the training just doesn´t feel hard, it doesn´t get me sore. The only thing that I don´t do are the widowmakers for legs cause I just don´t have the balls, I´m a pussy. A couple of days ago I switched the training completely, I did just 5x5 bench and 5x5 pulldowns for upper body, and my chest, back, shoulders, arms, abs, everything got super sore, and it really felt like it worked sooo much better than RP sets etc.

Red flag right there...

Comment

Originally posted by Lock it Up View Post
                          Go do pushups to failure. Take 1 minute rests between sets. Do this for 10 sets.

I guarantee you DOMS...but you aren't going to be building a bigger chest by doing this. It's quite easy to cause DOMS on yourself if you want to.

But DOMS does not directly equate to growth.
                          Yeah well, that might be because doing 70 reps is mostly gonna affect your slow muscle, which doesn´t like to grow very much. But that was just a wild guess, the reason might be anything. But at the end of the day, I grow exacly where I get sore, if a muscle doesn´t get sore, it won´t grow. So it´s a nice indication for me.

DOUGISBIG:
                          Are you really saying that for example my arms, which won´t grow one bit with DC, would start growing with quad WM?

Comment

Btw this has nothing to do with the topic, but what kind of gains are intensemuscle NATURAL guys reporting with dc?

Comment

Yeah well, that might be because doing 70 reps is mostly gonna affect your slow muscle, which doesn´t like to grow very much. But that was just a wild guess, the reason might be anything. But at the end of the day, I grow exacly where I get sore, if a muscle doesn´t get sore, it won´t grow. So it´s a nice indication for me.

DOUGISBIG:
                              Are you really saying that for example my arms, which won´t grow one bit with DC, would start growing with quad WM?
                              Why wouldn't your arms grow with DC?

Comment

Working...
                              X